Author Topic: New Guy  (Read 2540 times)

Offline Tex Brushpopper

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Guy
« on: January 19, 2017, 06:55:04 PM »
Hello all,
Having been a SASS member for a number of years off and on and doing absolutely nothing with it, I have finally decided to join in the on action. The Plainsman category seems to draw me the most, and I have had a little experience with black powder firearms in the past. For revolvers I like the looks of the Pietta version of the  1858 Remington. How do these guns hold up in cowboy action shooting? Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Don
Hiram, GA
(Tex Brushpopper)

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: New Guy
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 10:47:29 AM »
WELCOME Tex Brushpopper!!

Glad you found us.  SASS matches are the most fun you can have with your cloths on.  Black powder only adds to the fun.  Ask your questions and get answers.  Some answers will be worth just what you paid for them.  Some may actually help.

The 58s may be a very good choice.  They can be shot as C&B and if you want to go with brass cartridges, conversion cylinders are available that drop right in.

Come to the fun!  Stay for the company.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 11:03:20 AM »
I have a suggestion there, New Guy.

Before you shell out the folding green money for guns, find a place where you can at least pick em up and hold em.  Preferably,  Put a couple of rounds thru em.  Remington's have funny ergonomics.  The trigger guard is closer to the grip frame than a Colt.  Remington's
beat my middle finger like a rented mule.  Very painful.  Hurts.  A lot. 

Shoot first.  Then buy

Coffinmaker   

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:14:09 AM »

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 09:44:33 PM »
Just show up at a match and folks will likely hand you guns and ammo to try out. You might want to shoot a match or two before committing to Frontiersman class. There are a lot of things to keep track of and the reloading can get you mixed up. If you are comfortable with the c&b then have at it but learning a new love (CAS, C&Bs or both) can be challenging.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Cemetery

• Top Active Citizen
    • Cemetery's Gun Blob
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 10:26:37 AM »
Definitely try before you buy.

Check out a local cowboy club, or a local BP league.  BP leagues usually have both flints/percussion as well as c&b.

The Plainsman isn't a full on category at the local level, though some clubs might allow it for at a monthly.

Any muzzleloading shops near you?  They might have some revolvers to hold.
God forgives, I don't........

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 03:24:05 PM »
58's have a high hammer Spur/ tang set. If you have short thumbs, you may want to reset the spur for a lower angle. The Frontiersman class shoots duelist, or one handed. As such, a high Hammer spur may be a bit long for a short thumb.

As suggested shoot each before you make your final choice.

BTW; nothing points like a COLT !

Offline Tex Brushpopper

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 07:16:58 PM »
Thanks!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com