Author Topic: Uberti Colt Lighting trouble  (Read 3669 times)

Offline mustanggt

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uberti Colt Lighting trouble
« on: January 08, 2017, 05:34:21 PM »
Took some unloved rifles to my LGS and traded for some different ones. One of them was the above mentioned rifle. Beautiful gun. Looked like it had never been fired. I got it home and sometime later I made up a couple of 45 Colt dummy rounds to check for function. The rounds wouldn't consistently stay in the magazine till I went to chamber one and would lock up the gun tight. So I would take out the cap screw and magazine tube spring and follower to get the rounds out. When I got a round up to be chambered it wouldn't extract for nothing. No extraction and no feed. Anyone know of a gunsmith who would know about working on these things. There aren't any gunsmiths around here at all. I really like this rifle and would like for it to be shootable but right now it's a wall hanger.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Uberti Colt Lighting trouble
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 11:38:54 AM »
I had a Uberti "Lightning" carbine in .45 Colt I got in a trade. Using dummy rds, I managed to break a part that took three months and many phone calls/emails to replace.

Once repaired, I sold it and the new owner is delighted with it to the point where he had a custom length butt stock made for it!

What I didn't like about the design is that it lacks a bolt lock when in battery and the slightest rearward pressure on the forestock would unlock it and cause a light firing pin strike on the primer.

Gave me the creeps wondering what would happen if a rd ever went off in that condition .....

Advice - sell it to someone you don't like.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline mustanggt

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 12:37:08 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I'd like to keep it but I think I will take it back to the LGS I got it from and show them what they sold me and try to get my money back or trade. I'm sure I'll take a bath on it but if they want my continued business they better work with me on it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:03:15 PM »

Offline rellisonii

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 08:21:16 AM »
I have a Taurus copy that would not extract, I filed the extractor a little bit at a time until it extracted every time. Also from what I have read cartridge lenght can be sensitive, 1.58  inch seem to work best

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com