Author Topic: How much should a new Uberti 1873 Winchester carbine cost?  (Read 12537 times)

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How much should a new Uberti 1873 Winchester carbine cost?
« on: January 07, 2017, 03:12:08 PM »
I seem to remember just a couple of years ago you could find them for as low as $700.   I go online to Taylor & Co. and Dixie Gun Works and they are $1200+.   That seems a little high.  

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: How much should a good Uberti 1873 Winchester carbine cost?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 08:32:41 PM »
I'm not sure I really understand your reference to "good."  They are all good as found in the box and as new.  When you relate a price of 700 Bucks, your going back a ways.  73s, Carbine or Rifle have been over a grand for ....... a while.  So, it isn't a case of how much one should cost (I will vote for 500 bucks), it's a case of how much they cost "now."  BOHICA partner.

Coffinmaker

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 09:20:26 PM »
Yeah, you gotta go back over 20 years to get a '73 for that price.  Now, Chaparrals were around for that price a few years ago (and still overpriced, some would say)   :) 

Occasionally deals are to be found in the used market.  Gotta be around at the right place, right time (and money in pockets).

Coffinmaker, I vote $500, too.  ;D

Advertising

Re: How much should a new Uberti 1873 Winchester carbine cost?
« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:46:54 AM »

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 10:04:40 PM »
Yeah I didn't mean to say "Good" I meant to say "new".   typo.  Just changed it.

I swear between 3-5 years ago I remember walking into our local big sporting goods store that is a Uberti dealer among other things, and one of the guys behind the counter pulled off the gun rack a Uberti 1873 for like $7-800.   I remember thinking it was pretty high compared to the Rossi which was around $3-400.  They are about double the price. 

Been interested in getting a lever action .45 LC or .44-40 for a while (my handguns are .45 Colt and a I have a plethoria of .45 Colt brass but I understand .44-40 feeds better and handles blowback better).   I was leaning towards a Rossi 92 but am leaning more towards a Uberti 73 since I understand their action is a lot smoother and simpler. 

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 10:17:41 PM »
Well you know what they say.  The first thing to go is the memory.  You don't want to know what is second.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 10:27:20 PM »
Whether you're in the new or used market they are still about double of a Rossi92.

A good used 73 brings 8-900 without any custom work done to it. New ones vary depending on options or importer, I prefer Cimarron because they are cleaner looking and have more authentic markings on them rather than looking like a first grader has been beating on it with some block letter stamps.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 12:55:36 PM »
Well you know what they say.  The first thing to go is the memory.  You don't want to know what is second.

When I start asking the same question in the same thread over and over again followed by telling you something that happened 20 years ago as though it happened an hour ago and telling you Bill Clinton is president, you'll know know I have a problem...but I don't think we are there yet ;)

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 01:05:14 PM »
Whether you're in the new or used market they are still about double of a Rossi92.

A good used 73 brings 8-900 without any custom work done to it. New ones vary depending on options or importer, I prefer Cimarron because they are cleaner looking and have more authentic markings on them rather than looking like a first grader has been beating on it with some block letter stamps.

I got my father a cimarron .45 colt (SAA) about 11 years ago. .  I'm amazed at the clockwork and feel of that action.  It's accuracy cannot be matched by any handgun in our households.  Unfamiliar hands can pick it up and place their first and only shot in the bullseye easily.

As for the 1873 Winchester uberti:  I've noticed some have the ladder sight and some have the dovetail sight (is that correct?).  I'd prefer the ladder.  I'm not looking for a safesitter or a museum piece but I'm not looking to make a magnum rifle either.   As long as I get a nice good usable carbine that can propel a .45 or .44 bulllet at around 1200 ft per second, I'm happy.  (Roughly what you'd get out of a .44 magnum handgun)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 03:03:34 PM »
What???  You mean Clinton isn't President??  When did that happen??

Coffinmaker

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 03:33:28 PM »
...As for the 1873 Winchester uberti:  I've noticed some have the ladder sight and some have the dovetail sight (is that correct?)...

The Uberti '73 carbines (round barrel, 16" or 19") all have a flip-up ladder sight.  You wouldn't flip it up except for very long distances.  (I have several and don't even flip it up for 100yd shots).  All the other Uberti '73's, rifles with octagon or half-octagon barrels, will have the semi-buckhorn sight.  All the rear sights dovetail into the barrel.  Carbine front sights are part of the barrel band, and rifle front sights are dovetailed.  You can replace the semibuckhorn with a ladder sight, but sometimes cannot do the reverse without mounting the semibuckhorn backwards because the dovetails on the carbines are too close to the receiver.

Edit: I just saw this link: http://www.uberti.com/1873-rifle-and-carbine
so it appears that Uberti has moved the dovetail forward and is putting semi-buckhorns on the carbines in their "standard" line .

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 06:19:14 PM »
looks like they sell the carbine and rifle with a shotgun butt also.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 06:47:54 PM »
The new carbine I just received from Cimarron has the traditional carbine style flipup/ladder sight.

I have one on order with the carbine style forearm and barrel and it is to have the rifle style buttstock so I don't know what sight they will put on it. I didn't specify assuming it would have a carbine style since that was the type barrel I'm getting.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 12:19:05 AM »
Just curious, what do y'all think of it as a defensive weapon for home defense, car carry, horse carry or 4 wheeler carry against two legged and four legged enemies as a backup to your carry handgun?  

(Obviously I'm not talking about Afghanistan or Honduras against terrorists and drug cartels with AK-47s but anywhere travel in the United States).

A 10 shot rifle that can be fairly rapidly and accurately fired that has the power of a .44 Magnum handgun isn't too bad.   Reloading isn't dropping magazines, but it is a mere matter of inserting rounds into a loading gate just like a pump shotgun.   And it's a lot lighter and less bulkier than a AR-15 carbine

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 05:45:58 AM »
welp..... somewhere between * grandmother's rolling pin and an M4 I'd gather .....

a toggle bolt Rife, is a formidable deterrent in any century,  it's said it won the West ...

but then in the right hands the old gal with a rolling pin was hell on wheels  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 10:29:17 AM »
From personal experience,  Nah.  I mean OK, ya got 10 rounds.  You really need to be able to "place" those rounds.  When you adrenaline level pegs the meter, the odds of being able to hit anything with a single small tiny projectile really go inna toilette.  Plus, when you run the lever for a follow up shot (you will miss the first one at least) you'll yank the barrel all over the place.  I rifle as a home defense item is not a good idea, unless it's absolutely the only thing you have.

Based on personal experience.  12Ga.  Real simple.  12Ga, riot barrel (20 - 22 inches), full length magazine, loaded with alternating Buck Shot and Slugs.  If strictly "in home" then all Buck Shot.  9 balls per round times is 6 + is 54 very lethal balls.  Think "Pink Dust."

Now for the heartbreaker.  Also from personal experience.  There is NO SUCH THING as "Backup."  There is only your primary.  When the Fecal Matter hits the Recirculating Rotary, you will reach for your primary.  You will win or lose with your Primary.  You will NOT have the time nor opportunity to go to a "back up."  The most effective close combat weapon on the planet is a Shotgun.  Oh, also, the same applies out in the land of the Big Trees.  An annoyed Bear can cover 40 - 50 yards incredibly quick.  Carry extra clean/dry shorts.

Coffinmaker

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 10:00:22 PM »
From personal experience,  Nah.  I mean OK, ya got 10 rounds.  You really need to be able to "place" those rounds.  When you adrenaline level pegs the meter, the odds of being able to hit anything with a single small tiny projectile really go inna toilette.  Plus, when you run the lever for a follow up shot (you will miss the first one at least) you'll yank the barrel all over the place.  I rifle as a home defense item is not a good idea, unless it's absolutely the only thing you have.

Based on personal experience.  12Ga.  Real simple.  12Ga, riot barrel (20 - 22 inches), full length magazine, loaded with alternating Buck Shot and Slugs.  If strictly "in home" then all Buck Shot.  9 balls per round times is 6 + is 54 very lethal balls.  Think "Pink Dust."

Now for the heartbreaker.  Also from personal experience.  There is NO SUCH THING as "Backup."  There is only your primary.  When the Fecal Matter hits the Recirculating Rotary, you will reach for your primary.  You will win or lose with your Primary.  You will NOT have the time nor opportunity to go to a "back up."  The most effective close combat weapon on the planet is a Shotgun.  Oh, also, the same applies out in the land of the Big Trees.  An annoyed Bear can cover 40 - 50 yards incredibly quick.  Carry extra clean/dry shorts.

Coffinmaker

My "Primary" gun as you put it is almost always my handgun when I'm out and about.  usually a 4 inch  .38 service revolver (hence my screenname).   Other times it's a .357 Magnum Python or a .45 Automatic 1911A1 or a snub nose .38 Model 10 or Detective Special.   Sometimes out and about on my land I carry a .45 four inch Vaquero, 7 inch Uberti Schofield or a 6 inch Model 28.

For long gun I have a 12 gauge Remington 870 Police Magnum that I do very well with.  I load 00 Magnum buckshot.    I also have a full length Rifle AR15 and a M1 .30 Carbine.  Both are good.   

Reason I brought up the 1873 in .44 or .45 lever action is because, like the 4 inch service revolver or .45 Vaquero handgun counterpart, it seems a simpler, less complicated and bulky fundamental weapon.

Admittedly, as much as I shoot guns, in my entire life I have only fired a lever action gun ONE time about 6 years ago.  A .30-30 Marlin.  6 shots.   I found it very easy to handle and making rapid followup shots was pretty easy and pretty accurate for the first time using.   Learned how to play it pretty quick keeping the butt of the stock against my shoulder while working the action and firing.  Not much different than a pump shotgun except the action. 

I can see how a rifle is not ideal for home defense.  But what about other situations described.

Offline Shenandoah

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2017, 03:14:58 PM »
Define Home Defense. Are you talking about defending from a SWAT team, crazed hoards of looters, zombies?

Most home defense is from a burglar, possible home invasion. Usually 2-3 shots and it's over. Someone is either down or running.

A carbine is a fine choice for home defense if you know how to use it.

Edited to add: Caliber choice is important for over penetration.

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 02:53:08 PM »
Collectors Firearms in Houston quoted me the Uberti suggested Retail of $1219.   That kind of took me by surprise.  Most places, including them, you can usually shave about $100 off suggested retail or MSRP

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 06:25:52 PM »
No need to pay MSRP.  Anyone with an FFL can order from Cimarron and they pay the dealer price (approx. 30% under MSRP), mark it up to make some profit and the customer still pays below retail.  I expect Taylors is the same way.

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2017, 07:12:52 PM »
No need to pay MSRP.  Anyone with an FFL can order from Cimarron and they pay the dealer price (approx. 30% under MSRP), mark it up to make some profit and the customer still pays below retail.  I expect Taylors is the same way.

I just paid for a .44-40 today.  They ordered it from Taylor.  They were asking $1259 for it.   Showed them Uberti's $1219 MRSRP.  Ask if they could give me $1100.  We haggled and settled on $1150.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com