Author Topic: New Colt SAA prices  (Read 11275 times)

Offline JeffinTD

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Colt SAA prices
« on: December 31, 2016, 08:32:54 AM »
I have a set of new vaqueros, but I have always liked Colts though I don't know a lot about them.

I see Colt lists the 5.5" 45 in color case hardened in the smokeless frame as P1850'with an MSRP of $1599.

For that I could see getting a pair.

Looking around, though, everybody lists them as allocated or out of stock, or they want a grand over msrp.

I guess my question is can a person order these and sit back ordered on a waiting list to get them at msrp?

Offline markg44

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: New Colt SAA prices
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 09:46:02 AM »
From what I hear, it's at least an  18 month wait io order a  new one from Colt , with 50% down.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 09:57:21 AM »
Colt's production on them is small, but steady.

Wait times are long, and as you've noticed, many dealers got in there way ahead of you, so if you're wanting closer to an instant gratification, figure out exactly what it is that you want in caliber, barrel length and finish, then look on Gunbroker, because they don't see the store shelves.

You'll get one or two much faster, that way.

A friend of mine just bought six from Scheel's by telling their gun shop manager he's take what the guy could find, and with that understanding, several were located within a month and a half, so they're out there.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:59:16 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 01:33:01 PM »
I can only Echo what St. George has said.  Well, I can embellish it just a bit.  If you are looking for a specific caliber, barrel length, options, etc,. be prepared for a 2 to 2 1/2 year wait.  You may or may not be able to score MSRP plus inflation.  If you want to use your new Colt as regular CAS participant, it will need some work to be really user friendly.

On the other hand, if your looking at it as an investment, your not going to live long enough for it to truly appreciate.  After all, it is "just another new gun."  Nothing special.

And then:  If CAS is your intent, you can get a pair (2) real nice CAS ready SAs for that amount of money.  Pietta and Uberti both produce CAS ready guns that are quite well made.  At this time, the value for dollar in CAS guns are Pietta built reproductions.  Your Call.

Coffinmaker

Offline JeffinTD

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 01:51:41 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I hope to do cas shooting at some point, but the work schedule doesn't really allow that at the moment. But, I have the set of SASS New Vaqueros in 357 with spring kits installed for that.

The Colts would be "just because" kind of purchases. They would get fired routinely and wouldn't be expected to gain value.

What kind of work would they need if I decided to use them for CAS?  I understand they are supposed to have pretty nice triggers right out of the box?

Offline JeffinTD

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 01:55:39 PM »
P.S.

I'm not opposed to putting money down and waiting, and figure if I'm going to do it, I'd might as well get the exact model I want.

P1850 I would think would be pretty common though. The basic. 5.5" 45 color case hardened frame with the black grips.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 10:43:57 AM »
New Colt's will need a look-see for burrs inside the frame and all the reciprocating surfaces polished.  Then change out the OEM Main Spring and I would personally change out or tune the Trigger/Bolt Spring.  My personal preference is the Pietta Trigger/Bolt Spring.  For
the Main Spring, I like "Lee's Gunsmithing" spring kit (Brownells) or VTI Gunparts Reduced Main Spring for SAs.

Coffinmaker

Offline JeffinTD

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 08:43:43 PM »
Talking to Colt, custom orders could run around 6 months, and orders should be placed through a stocking Colt dealer.

I was thinking p1850 the 5.5" 45 in color case hardened with 2nd 45 auto cylinder.

Local big box store that sells Colt says company isn't set up for custom orders and they can't put any saa on order.

Buds also said basically  they don't do custom orders.  An independent shop about 80 miles away basically said they placed an order
years ago with no result.

I wonder if that was back when Colt was in rough times, and I might try to talk them into placing an order. 

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 07:44:05 AM »
That's the exact thing the Colt rep told me at the NRA show. But every stocking dealer around here you talk to says they already have an order for various models just hoping anything will show up....but it seldom if ever does.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline MFortie

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 08:03:21 PM »
Hi All,

I'm new around here (just getting into the CAS game), but while searching for Colt SAA posts, I came upon this one.  I just closed a deal on a pair of new-in-box Colt SAAs (4-3/4" & 5-1/2") in 45LC today for a smidge over MSRP.  Pretty happy with what I've found out so far!  ;D

Think it's a decent find for the People's Republic of Kalifornia...

While I'm new to CAS, I do Old West re-enacting and have plenty of period correct attire (and a couple of OM Vaqs, 1858 Rems, etc.)  Thought I might expand my horizons a bit and actually send some lead downrange instead of just shooting blanks in our skits, etc.

Anyway, hello from sunny Southern California!

Offline JeffinTD

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 08:54:43 PM »
Welcome!

Where did you find SAA's for a amidge over msrp? 

The more I shop, the more I hear Colt will tell you order through a dealer and have the gun in a few months, but every dealer seems to say we don't take orders and have had guns on order forever....

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 05:29:59 AM »
Welcome!

Where did you find SAA's for a amidge over msrp?  

The more I shop, the more I hear Colt will tell you order through a dealer and have the gun in a few months, but every dealer seems to say we don't take orders and have had guns on order forever....

And there in lies the rub  ..... between a gambit of wishful thinking and out and out lies

I recall...when USFA was in " restructure " as they claimed  (LIE) ,   death throes in reality
the orders/shipping slowed then they stopped taking orders, as they SAID they were "retooling, restructuring , and would be back ...."
as they sold the machinery , shut off the lights, they still claimed ..."they were retooling, restructuring and would be back ...."
as they let go employees, lock the doors , sold building the girl answering the phone said "they were retooling, restructuring....yata yata"  ::)

by the time , it was common knowledge USFA was belly up ....the ZIP was thrust upon the scene.

why do I mention the above ...it was all  "wishful thinking and out and out lies ...."

If a COLT is what you lust for, and who wouldn't, your best bet is Gun broker...and pays up  :o or  :-\  not  :(  that is the reality I'm afraid.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 09:22:06 AM »
Keep an eye on the Cabela's Gun library, nice finds on 2nd and 3rd generation Colts.
Also you can add a Colt to your wish list at Bud's gunshop.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 01:01:06 PM »
Welcome Mfortie. Congrats on your new Colt's, sounds like you got a good deal. Please tell us more about them, what year they were made, finish, grip style, ect.

Offline MFortie

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 06:42:04 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.  I don't think my 'source' would want me to publish any specifics, but let's say he has a connection to Colt in some fashion...  ;)

The SAAs are fairly recent production -- 2014/2015 from what I can gather serial number-wise (S739xxxx & S749xxxx).  They are new in box, never fired, with hang tags, boxes, etc.  Both are case colored with black Eagle grips.

Unfortunately, I have to deal with California's ten-day wait (even though I have a FFL03, a California Certificate of Eligibility, a Utah CCW, former NRA RSO and shotgun coach, numerous other firearms, etc. -- but I digress and this state is a whole 'nuther conversation!  :-X ), and am literally champing at the bit to get my mitts on them (9 more days!)

Acquiring them was really a matter of right place, right time and I thank my lucky stars and the man above!

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 07:49:36 PM »
Rock island auction sells lots of Colts both old and newer

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline JeffinTD

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2017, 08:14:16 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I do have the p1850 on a wish list for Buds, and I will check out Rock Island Auctions. Gunbroker prices seem pretty high.

Having a friend/connection at Colt sounds like it would be handy.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 09:50:02 AM »
Thanks for the tips. I do have the p1850 on a wish list for Buds, and I will check out Rock Island Auctions. Gunbroker prices seem pretty high.

Having a friend/connection at Colt sounds like it would be handy.

Yeah ! If he still had his job !  then again probably not

as old "Dandy Don" Meredith used to sing " turn out the lights , the party is over "

when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com