Author Topic: Colt 3rd gen value?  (Read 6068 times)

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Colt 3rd gen value?
« on: December 30, 2016, 01:23:08 AM »
Got a 3rd gen Colt in 45 colt, 4 3/4" barrel, SN# indicates it was made in 2007, no box and very few rounds through it, in near mint condition.

Hate to part with it, but land taxes are coming up and the price of oil is low, and work scarce.  Any idea what it's worth?  I looked around on gunbroker, but don't know if there actually selling for that.  I looked at Colt's website and there going for 1500$ new, I'm thinking 1100$ is a fair price.  Thoughts?

Thanks.
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
Re: Colt 3rd gen value?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 04:45:25 AM »
Frankly, and IMHO.... I'd look to liquidate, something other than your COLT  :-\

however , Based on your description I'd think $1100 is a bit light.... If I were not in the Tax situation my ownself, I might be a player and pay $1100 and maybe look over my shoulder for what the pendulum swing in retribution might be . :-\  :)

Not wishing to, queer anyone else's "jump on it "

I suggest, "if " you do decide to sell it ,  put it up for bid .... Gun broker  perhaps .... Open @ "oh maybe $1200 with no reserve...
and sit back .... I bet you'll get a few higher bids ....
being as how, they are like hens teeth NIB on order from COLT.

again, @ $1100 and I was at bonus time... which is BTW in March ....  :-\ I'd probably spring .  just IMHO that is ...
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 07:28:37 AM »
That is actually what I was hoping to hear.  I hate to part with it, but then I for sure hate to take a dollar less than it's worth.  The ONLY reason I am considering selling is the thing won't hit the broad side of a barn.  It's got the nominal .452 barrel, with cylinder throats at .456-.457.  I had gotten a decent deal on it and was thinking of eventually getting a 44 cylinder reamed out to the proper dimensions, but never got around to it.  Colt's really are nice, but I require more than a pretty finish, they have to be shooters as well.  The downside is, like you said, replacing it in the future.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:15:47 PM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 07:58:49 AM »
Well then ..."won't hit the broad side of a barn.  It's got the nominal .452 barrel, with cylinder throats at .456-.457."

based on that " pearl of discloser "  ... I believe, I would liquidate... 

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 12:38:57 PM »
Pretty much what I was thinking, if I could afford it I'd have a 44 cylinder bored to the proper specs, but with the economy rite now...

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 06:28:49 PM »
That is actually what I was hoping to hear.  I hate to part with it, but then I for sure hate to take a dollar less than it's worth.  The ONLY reason I am considering selling is the thing won't hit the broad side of a barn.  It's got the nominal .452 barrel, with cylinder throats at .456-.457.  I had gotten a decent deal on it and was thinking of eventually getting a 44 cylinder reamed out to the proper dimensions, but never got around to it.  Colt's really are nice, but I require more than a pretty finish, they have to be shooters as well.  The downside is, like you said, replacing it in the future.

This is pretty much my experience with the 45 Colt. I've owned a few of them and while they were acceptably accurate, none of them would consistently group well. My handful of.44 Specials are quite the opposite and don't seem to care much what you feed them.
 I love the 45 Colt and am on the scout for another. Maybe the next one will shoot!

CHT

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 07:56:28 PM »
That's my take on it as well.  I had been considering one in 44 special for some time, but never got around to it.  Like I need another caliber to reload for anyway, not that it'd be a stretch since I load 44 colt with 200 grainers as it is.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 08:12:33 PM »
  Two 45 Colts ago, I bought a New Vaquero and did everything under the sun to it. Cylinder throats opened/uniformed, barrel lapped, forcing cone cut to 11°, Bisley hammer, trigger job, light springs, custom grips...and all that added up to an expensive Ruger that shot no better than a stock Uberti.
   I'm thinking maybe next time I'll try one of the competition models from UbertI or Cimarron.

CHT

CHT

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 08:25:06 PM »
The best six gun in my safe is a Taylor's Smokewagon, tuned action, smooth as glass, and very accurate.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 08:28:08 PM »
The best six gun in my safe is a Taylor's Smokewagon, tuned action, smooth as glass, and very accurate.

I'm just hoping something like this will come along when I have the money to buy it!

CHT

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 10:29:21 PM »
"The ONLY reason I am considering selling is the thing won't hit the broad side of a barn.
It's got the nominal .452 barrel, with cylinder throats at .456-.457."

So why does that result in poor accuracy, what's the science behind it?  What should the cylinder throats be?

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 11:04:05 PM »
I'm not an expert, but the huge difference between the cylinder throats and the barrel means the bullet is wobbling around in the chamber mouth and enters the barrel and forcing cone unpredictably.  In other words, if you had a .454 chamber and .454 ammo, it will enter the barrel pretty much the same way every time.  Means the difference between silver dollar groups and minute of pie plate.  Standard factory ammo is nominal .452, which rattles around the large chambers and enters the barrel willy nilly.  Of course, if I wanted I could custom load for it with .456 bullets, but everything else I've got runs great on .452-.454 cast.  It'd mean a separate mould and separate ammo to fix an issue that should have been fixed before it left the factory.  Most all my 45's, rifles and revolvers, prefer a .454, and I've settled on two moulds, one for smokeless, and a big lube design for black powder.  The fix for it is to have a 44 special cylinder reamed out to nominal 45 spec.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 12:23:05 AM »
 I seem to remember reading an article in Handloader magazine on this is with Colt's in this caliber. As I recall, the author, Dave Scovill, stated that a soft lead bullet would upset to fill the cylinder throats then squeeze back down to the groove dimensions of the barrel. I seem to recall him mentioning Remingtons 250 gr. .45 bullet's specifically as one that readily works in this manner. Perhaps you can find a box of factory Remington 45 Colts loaded with the 250 gr. lead bullet and try them as a last resort.

CHT

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 12:32:42 AM »
I haven't bought factory ammo in years.  The thing is, I cast with 20-1 alloy, it's fairly soft, and will bump up with a hefty charge of black powder, but I load fairly reasonable in smokeless, around 800FPS, and haven't shot black in the colt.  There are things that can be done to overcome the chamber size issue, but the simple fact is it shouldn't have to be done on an expensive firearm like that.  Hollow base is another fix for the issue, but I despise casting hollow base as most moulds are single cavity where as most of mine are 5-6 cavity moulds.  If this was my only SAA, or at least my only 45, then I might consider tailoring a load for it, as it stands, I like ammo interchangeability.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2016, 01:16:02 AM »
I haven't bought factory ammo in years.  The thing is, I cast with 20-1 alloy, it's fairly soft, and will bump up with a hefty charge of black powder, but I load fairly reasonable in smokeless, around 800FPS, and haven't shot black in the colt.  There are things that can be done to overcome the chamber size issue, but the simple fact is it shouldn't have to be done on an expensive firearm like that.  Hollow base is another fix for the issue, but I despise casting hollow base as most moulds are single cavity where as most of mine are 5-6 cavity moulds.  If this was my only SAA, or at least my only 45, then I might consider tailoring a load for it, as it stands, I like ammo interchangeability.

You make a very good point. I too hate having to cast/load anything much out of the ordinary for my revolvers.

I have an extra unfinished .44 Special Colt cylinder although I'm not sure what generation it fits. PM me a couple of pictures of yours and we'll see if it will work.

CHT

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2016, 01:42:51 AM »
Ah, but that's the rub, been out of work since last Nov., and need the money.  Got a couple people that are not ponying up the money they owe me, so it's drastic measures time.  If I was still working I'd probably take you up on the offer, even to the point of buying a 45 colt reamer and doing the work myself.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com