Author Topic: 56-56 Die Set  (Read 3559 times)

Offline Selair

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
56-56 Die Set
« on: December 20, 2016, 12:53:02 PM »
Hi everyone,
I’m trying to track down a 56-56 die set to reload my original spencer (cerrosafe chamber casting confirms 56-56). It looks like I need the CH4D 56-56 die set but no one seems to have it in stock. I called CH4D directly and they placed me on a notification list for when they make a new batch, but they did not sound confident on when that would be. “Call me back in a few months” response. So, does anyone know where I can buy the set or something comparable? Buffalo Arms is also out of stock BTW. Here is their listing: http://www.buffaloarms.com/Buffalo_Arms_Company%20_it-157603.aspx
There seem to be a couple placed in Europe that say they are in stock, but the price and shipping is exceptionally high.
Many Thanks!

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: 56-56 Die Set
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 01:28:02 PM »
Hello:
Don't be tempted to purchase another brand.  He KNOWS what he's doing. 

Be sure that the case NECK expander plug is matched to BOTH your specific case ID and sized bullet OD.

Usually the sized bullet is .002" over the GROOVE, not bore diameter. 
BUT, if you are using the "healed", 22LR style bullet, best to talk with Dave. 

Regards,
El Supremo / Kevin Tinny
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline Selair

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 02:11:58 PM »
Thanks for the info. I am going to be using Buffaloarms .539" 375 Grain 2-Cavity RNFP Heeled Bullet Mold for 56-56 Spencer and plan on sizing my own Starline 50-70 brass.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/56_56_Spencer_Bullet_Mold_it-916336.aspx?CAT=4176

"This is a double cavity mould for the 56-56 Spencer center fire conversions done on antique Spencers rifles and carbines. .768" long bullet. Groove dimensions vary in these firearms so check your groove diameter before ordering, we can make these in a variety of diameters. The heel of this bullet is tapered to fit snugly in your case. You must use our 56-50 brass made from Starline 50-70 brass (item #5656SPENCER) and 4D reloading dies (item # 4D5656)  in this caliber for proper fit.

You must in this order: Expand the case, full length size in the 4D die, chamfer the mouth of the case. The bullet will then fit snugly in the case when seated to the top of the heel.  "

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:32:44 PM »

Offline Walksfire

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 10:12:29 PM »
Howdy, there fellow original Spencer owner. I went down this same road about 2 years ago. I am using the same bullet mold and 4D dies with the buffalo arms custom starline brass for a 56-56 in my 1860 carbine. I would suggest waiting for the dies, as they are worth it. Or find someone selling theirs. I posted several times with pictures of my success with this formula. What city do you live near. I am in the DC area.

Offline Selair

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 01:48:20 PM »
Hi Walksfire,
I will hold fast and await the CH4D lathes to do their work...unless anyone knows where I can snag an available set sooner!?!?!? Unfortunately I am quite a ways from you. I'm a spencer packing Canadian in Victoria BC, Canada.
Cheers!

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 09:11:44 PM »
In a pinch you can load with regular 50-70 dies, if the neck expander and seater plug will adjust far enough down. Some will, some won't. You may also need to put a longer taper on the nose of the neck expander. Some reach too far into the case. This can be done with a bench grinder, or a dremel if you have a steady hand.

Offline Rim fire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 06:58:57 AM »
I have been shooting Spencers since the mid '80's.  Back then there weren't  any moulds or dies at lest that I knew of.  You had to make your own.  I left the Civil War hobby for about 20 years, when I returned, imagine my surprise to see moulds, dies, and brass available, as well as the prices of Spencer rifles and carbines!!!!  I have used a set of Lyman 50-70 dies to load the 56-56 round without problem.  I had a machinest cut the dies to the required length, but they can be used as is.  The mould I use is made by Rapine.  It is .546 in diameter with a .518 diameter heal which first snugly in the case when the bullet is seated.  I tried the mould you have in both an 1860 rifle and a carbine without success.  When I tried the Rapine mould, the carbine shot a ragged hole for ten shots with black powder at fifty yards.  I think the increase in bullet diameter was the key.  I have since switched to the CH dies you are looking for because someone had them for sale on this site for a good price.  I had a machinest shorten the dies a little as the are set up for the mould you have and brass that is a little longer.  My cases are trimmed to .915 so the overall length is correct when using my bullet.  They were shortened to utilize the full length sizing and the crimp.  They work as well as the Lyman.  Just my two cents.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com