Author Topic: The Sundance Kid in Calgary (old photo)  (Read 3695 times)

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
The Sundance Kid in Calgary (old photo)
« on: December 18, 2016, 08:43:59 AM »
If you Google The Calgary Sun newspaper, today's edition (18 Dec 2016)  you will see on the front page an old photo of Calgary after a fire.  The building on the right, called the Grand Central Hotel was the hotel that Harry Longabough went into partnership with another fellow in working the bar.  The hotel was located on the NW corner of 9th Ave and 1st St SE, Calgary.

A little back story.  In 1890 Harry had just got out of jail in Wyoming and came up to the Bar U Ranch to visit a friend. The Bar U is approx 50 miles SW of Calgary on Hwy 22 and is now a National Historic Site.  Harry signed on with the Bar U as a wrangler.  He was with the Bar U for about a year and then went with the Cochrane Ranch for a short period just west of Calgary.  During 1892/93 Harry went into the bar business at the Grand Central Hotel In Calgary.  Harry had a dispute with his partner over wages.  Harry pulled a gun and the Calgary Police were involved. Even though the NWMP were in Calgary, the city had its own fledging police force at that time.  Harry though it best to go back to the U.S. were he met up with a previous acquaintance by the name of Robert Leroy Parker and as they say, the rest is history.

Sources - High River Times, Calgary Sun, Calgary police archives, Glenbow archives.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: The Sundance Kid in Calgary (old photo)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 12:10:18 PM »
In the print copy of the Calgary Sun, the photo is on page 7.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 07:21:37 PM »
My Dear Buffalo -

In spite of my superior google-fu I searched the Calagary Sun website fruitlessly for over half an hour.

Would you be so kind as to post a link, or throw me some sort of bone?

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:20:29 PM »

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 08:52:32 AM »
Professor, I tried the Calgary Sun archives but, that story wouldn't come up.  The building in question was a white two story on the NE corner of  9 Ave and 1st st SE., Calgary.  If you Google Earth that address, you will see that part of the Glenbow Museum is now on that corner.

If you Google the Sun newspaper contact section, ask if they will email you a copy of the front page of the free online edition or, page 7 of the print copy.

Hope this helps.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com