Author Topic: How cold was it?  (Read 3399 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How cold was it?
« on: December 12, 2016, 04:13:46 PM »
This morning the thermometer read -30+C (-20F). I can handle a couple of days without some hard physical exercise, but after that, cabin fever sets in.
It warmed after lunch to a balmy -18*C, bright and sunny, no wind, so me and the dogs went for a 10 km x-country ski on the lake.
Multiple light layers and wool gloves inside thinsulate mitts kept my hands warm.

Glorious to be out there! Makes you wonder how all the critters survive under these temps, especially the little birds that don't migrate. I make sure to keep the bird feeders well stocked.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: How cold was it?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 09:32:55 AM »
I have a flock of Bluejays that I feed Daily during the winter.  I have 4 feeding stations 2 ft apart so they don't fight over just one, as they don't like to share.

SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 10:36:55 AM »
It's -33*C today, clear, blue skies, no wind. Not expected to get warmer than -22*C. If it does, I may go x-country skiing again.

We have some gray Jays (Whisky Jacks) that like the high protein food we feed our dogs. This bird has just been made our official national bird.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:42:50 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 05:35:05 PM »
Well, the dogs and I did go skiing after it warmed up to -20*C. It was great in the sunshine, but If I ventured into the shade on the fr side of the lake, I could feel the temp drop.

The cold guarantees that the ice will be well established before we get heavy snow. In years past, we've had the snow first and the ice never really did form well.

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 11:41:29 PM »
It was 45F in my part of California.  Rained a good part of the day and put snow up in the higher elevations.  We're expecting almost 10 feet of snow above the 7000ft level this week. 

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 07:42:02 AM »
Currently 14 degrees, windy and we got a pile of snow from a couple days ago. 18" to be exact! Did I mention how much I hate winter??? >:(
Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 12:28:13 PM »
Why, No Rye, I don't think you did.  Just how much do you like Winter .... eh??

Coffinmaker

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 07:51:44 AM »
I had a chance to move to Henderson,Nevada a few years ago with my son, we both decided against it and he's in Nashville and I'm stuck here. Henderson is just outside of Vegas and easy access to many CAS clubs and NO SNOW!!! :o
Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 10:54:07 AM »
Actually Rye,

No matter where ya go ..... There ya are!! (This has nothing to do with anything.  I'm just bored)

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com