Author Topic: Is there a Movie about The Battle of Adobe Walls?  (Read 3578 times)

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Is there a Movie about The Battle of Adobe Walls?
« on: December 02, 2016, 10:40:12 PM »
 ???

I ask this because in recent years I have read about the Second battle of Adobe Walls where a hunter/scout named William Dixon shoots a Comanche off horseback at a long distance amazing everyone, including the Indians, who lose heart and retreat.

Upon reading this I suddenly remembered:  "I remember seeing exactly this played out in a movie dad was watching one day at my granny's house when I was like 5 years old." 

Some men were held up in some walled in fortified area surrounded by mounted Indians.  It was towards the end of the movie.  One of the main characters takes a chance and takes a shot at an indian on the hill with the others who are ready to attak (I think in the movie they said it was the chief).   The man was considered the best shot in the group, but even he wasn't sure he could do it.  Well...he did it and the Indians retreated.   

What movie is this?   If it helps, my minds eye is picturing somebody like Fess Parker.  This movie was made probably in the late 50s to early 70s.   If it wasn't Fess Parker it was somebody that looked like him like maybe Clint Walker. 

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Is there a Movie about The Battle of Adobe Walls?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 08:12:01 AM »
The question is, did Billy Dixon actually hit an Indian that he was aiming at at that great distance or, was he shooting at a group of Indians and happened to hit one.  I lean to the latter.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 02:57:08 PM »
I think even he considered it a lucky shot.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:06:40 PM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 03:28:46 PM »
I believe he called it a "scratch shot".

I recall movie with Audie Murphy where there was a standoff similar to the Adobe Wells fight.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Hargrave

• " Prairie Smoke" Jake
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 10:54:35 AM »
I would like to know the answer to this one too

Let me see what my google foo can do
"Prairie Smoke" Jake
Houston, TX
In matters of style, swim with the current;
In matters of principle, stand like a rock.
(Thomas Jefferson)

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 406
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 02:14:22 PM »
AT LONG LAST AFTER 35 YEARS!  i just found it today.  It wasnt a movie.  It was a color Episode of Wagon Train called the Charles Harrison Clarke Story.  

Michael Rennie is a British journalist traveling with the Wagon Train.  He is also a big game hunter and, I think, former soldier thats been in Africa.   He has with him, what looks like, a .50 Sharps with a brass telescope.   Even had 6 big cartridges on his belt.

Well, the wagon train gets surrounded by Kiowa and Comanches in an Adobe Walls like setting.   Long story short, Michael Rennie, at the request of John McIntyre and Brian Keith, takes out the Comanche chief at long range in an amazing shot wih this .50 sharps.

They just aired it on Heros & Icons channel about 15 minutes ago prior to this post.  I saw the last half of it and realized towards the very end THIS is what I saw decades ago as a kid.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 02:32:58 PM »
AT LONG LAST AFTER 35 YEARS!  i just found it today.  It wasnt a movie.  It was a color Episode of Wagon Train called the Charles Harrison Clarke Story.  

Michael Rennie is a British journalist traveling with the Wagon Train.  He is also a big game hunter and, I think, former soldier thats been in Africa.   He has with him, what looks like, a .50 Sharps with a brass telescope.   Even had 6 big cartridges on his belt.

Well, the wagon train gets surrounded by Kiowa and Comanches in an Adobe Walls like setting.   Long story short, Michael Rennie, at the request of John McIntyre and Brian Keith, takes out the Comanche chief at long range in an amazing shot wih this .50 sharps.

They just aired it on Heros & Icons channel about 15 minutes ago prior to this post.  I saw the last half of it and realized towards the very end THIS is what I saw decades ago as a kid.

Weird   ??? how this happens ....I've had it happen enough to me, to make this comment... :-\

I'll think of a film ....two or three days later bingo there it is ....another thing is ...I'll see a movie I recognize surfing for something
to watch....and just about every time , if it is already in progress , it's always just about the same place in progress  ???

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline mehavey

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 02:40:30 PM »
Would you believe.... The Robert Harrison Clarke Story ?    ;D

Hokey as all get-out, but then life (and we) were a lot more innocent

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 03:53:31 PM »
I couldn't get sound for that link, but this one worked better for me.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com