Author Topic: Yellowstone kelly henry rifle pics  (Read 5287 times)

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Yellowstone kelly henry rifle pics
« on: December 01, 2016, 04:00:02 AM »
I'm looking for images of Yellowstone Kelly's henry rifle, it seems like the link to rarewinchesters doesn't work anymore
Did anyone save images of it, or am I out of luck?? I also looked at the back pages of the forum and only saw the side image of it.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Yellowstone kelly henry rifle pics
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 10:11:56 AM »
Went prowling around on the WEB as your question pique'd my curious.  Yellowstone Kelly's Henry is no longer displayed on the Rare Winchesters WEB pages.  There is a carbine, but not Kelly's.  Apparently it's current owner does not want to display it.  I did find a single side view showing the carving on the stock, but that was all I found.

My current guess is:  Yer out of luck.

Coffinmaker

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 11:22:28 AM »
I almost forgot.  Actually I did forget.  Until just a minute ago.  Some time ago (a Lustrum or two) "Rare Winchesters" had seven of the Henry/Winchester Transitional prototype rifles that eventually became the 1866.  Currently, they (Rare Win) only have one of those rifles.
None of the tube magazine transitional rifles are pictured.  I can only conclude the selfish SOBs that have those guns sequestered in their humble collections have decided not to share. 

Have I ever mentioned I have great dislike of "Collectors" who hoard their goodies??

In those halcyon days of yesteryear, even Winchester sold their transitional rifles to the general public.  Unlike those stingy "Collectors" who inhabit our world today.

Coffinmaker

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:30:01 PM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 04:32:19 PM »
here ya go
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 11:12:13 PM »
true that coffinmaker, i believe i found the one henry carbine you're talking about. Is it a UPRR one? http://www.icollector.com/1860-Henry-carbine-serial-6850-Punch-dot-and-scratch-inscribed-with-decorated-stock-and-attribu_i10488416
This one here says it's Kelly's henry rifle but also has UPRR carved into the stock.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 06:06:04 PM »
Yep.  That be the Henry attributed to Kelly. 

I currently have two Uberti Henry carbines and a Trapper (16in).  I'm about ready to build another Trapper.  A side loader Transitional.

Coffinmaker

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 09:39:54 PM »
The photo here sure looks like a full length barrel.  ???  Hmmm.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 04:37:58 AM »
The one nativeshooter linked to say's The barrel is 19-3/10” overall.

But the photo I found on the Web does look the full 24" and has a sling swivel....

Like Coffin maker , and another I know , have more then one Henry ...similar to potato chips you can have just 1
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 01:44:06 PM »
I would have no doubt, at different times, Ol Jellystone backed several different rifles.  In the primary time frame, the rifles of choice for those planning to foray into hostile territory were primarily Henry and 1866.  Both of those choices had great magazine capacity.  

Initially, the most common would have been the Henry.  Available during and immediately after the War Between the States in fair numbers, the Henry would have been most common.

We also know, the manufacturers of the period were prone to make about anything anyone ordered.  Many Stockiest of the day often placed orders for other than standard guns.  The manufacturers were not necessarily keepers of perfectly pristine records.  Many paper "trails" did not survive to the present day.

Gunsmith built Carbines would also have been quite .... rare.  Cutting down a Henry pattern barrel is a lot more difficult than one would think.  I know this 'cause I've done it.  Elected not to do it twice.

Then we come to a whole new question.  Posed Pictures purported particularly perfect.  Photographer yells .. "Kelly needs a rifle" and able assistant hands our hero Jellystone a rifle and says "here .... use this one."

Let's face it folks.  Those Halcyon days of Yesteryear were just that.  Yesteryear.  Not necessarily well documented, as when your actually living it, your not real concerned with what history will say.

Coffinmaker
(It's Saturday.  The weather sucks.  I'm real bored.   I want SPRING!!)

PS:  At least the rifle in the Pic was fully loaded.  

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 02:58:37 PM »
Speaking of famous people's Henry rifles...  About 2000, when I was in Tombstone researching an article for the Cowboy Chronicle on Tombstone, I got to go behind the scenes at the courthouse museum, and actually handle (with white cotton gloves) Ed Scheflein's 1860 Henry.  I also had an opportunity in about 1986 to handle the Fahenstock Civil War Henry, prior to it going to the current owner.  It had the original tintype of Fahenstock holding the weapon.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 03:35:25 PM »
I always thought that the way that the patina appears on Shieffelin's Henry is kind of odd.  It kind of looks painted on or something.  I always think that it looks like a movie prop--like it's made of wood and painted to look like old brass.  Is that typical for an old Henry?  Attached is a photo I took last March.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 04:16:26 PM »
I always thought that the way that the patina appears on Shieffelin's Henry is kind of odd.  It kind of looks painted on or something.  I always think that it looks like a movie prop--like it's made of wood and painted to look like old brass.  Is that typical for an old Henry?  Attached is a photo I took last March.

CC Griff

It was odd. I think maybe it had something a think coat of something painted on it to protect it.  I remember thinking it looke dlike a drying thin coat of varnish.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com