Author Topic: Baikal vs Stoeger  (Read 9300 times)

Offline BobinIL

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Baikal vs Stoeger
« on: November 29, 2016, 07:41:40 AM »
I have been shooting stoegers for about 10 years now.  I had a Baikal when I started out but traded that gun off many moons ago.  I have recently stumbled across a Baikal coach gun that has a sweet professional action job.  (probably one of the smoothest sxs shotguns I have ever handled)  Is there any real difference between the quality of the Baikal vs the Stoegers? 

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Baikal vs Stoeger
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 11:30:10 AM »
Your asking the difference between inexpensive shotguns.  They both have their particular good points and bad points.  A particularly good point for Stoeger ..... Pretty easy to get parts.  Baikal .. not so much.  If you are able to get it cheap enough, may not matter.

Coffinmaker

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 10:59:15 AM »
My nickname for my TOZ66 is "Tractor Girl". Plain, tough, ugly but effective. If it had a action job, the tank springs must have been lightened considerably. Go for it if you need a reliable gun.

I had a locking bolt break on mine many years ago I couldn't find parts, but my gunsmith made a replacement (charging only 3 hours shop-time) that works well.

P.S; The two Baikals that I have owned were properly regulated (28"bbls), but about 30 years ago I used a loaner for a BP match that wasn't. I haven't any recent info about standards of baikals, but haven't heard any other complaints.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:29:05 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 04:27:50 PM »
I've got a Stoeger "Uplander" with 28" barrels. It's bomb proof and I love it! My wife has one in 20 ga, but she prefers her original '97.
I don't worry if I get the odd ding on it.

I reversed the chokes in mine so that I hit the steel plates hard with the right barrel and have the other barrel for the clay birds it launches. All the local clubs have got the "Black Sheep" bird launchers that send the clays straight up.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 05:23:55 PM »
I forgot to include ..... TA DA ..... were I in the hunt for a "hammerless" double, I'd be hunting for a Stoeger, double triggers, screw in chokes and a sissy pad.  Based on the availability of parts and up-grade parts. 

PJ,  Find some Fiocchi "Trainer" 20Ga ammo for that light weight hard kicking 20Ga Double.  Fiocchi Trainers'll make it a pussycat.

Coffinmaker

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 06:55:27 PM »
She has never complained about recoil with the 20 ga using factory loads. For her '97 I load 1 oz.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 07:11:36 PM »
PJ,

OK.  But .. But .. She prefers to shoot a 97 (which soaks up recoil) with a 1oz load.  For years upland and waterfowl hunters and target folks whined they wanted ammunition to put them on a qual footing with the 12Ga folks.  The ammo makers said OK .... you deserve what your gonna get.  Nice light guns to carry that kick like hell.  With the exception of LNLR, there are no "light" target.  "Target" is meant to break clay birds at from 30 to 40 yards.  Think about it. ;)

Coffinmaker

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 10:11:13 PM »
Howdy All,

If you think that Stoegers are easy to get parts for, try and find a replacement buttstock. Fortunately, my epoxy fix seems to be holding.

Reverend Chase

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 10:46:49 AM »
I didn't realize that a '97 had a recoil reducing effect. I've yet to engage a clay target in a CAS event at anything resembling 30-40 yards. As for parts, it's not easy to get parts for a lot of guns. That's why we have gunsmiths.

When she first started shooting a 12 ga I loaded 7/8 oz. loads for her. She has 'graduated' to 1 oz., factory or my reloads.

All the Brit splinter fore end SxS's I've ever handled were very light compared to their American Beavertailed counterparts. Years ago I read an article in "Sporting Clays" magazine about a US shooting instructor who went through the Holland & Holland school of wingshooting using their gun and loads. Under their tutelage, he was busting everything at distances beyond what he thought possible.

He was astounded to learn that he had been shooting 3/4 oz. loads! When he expressed his amazement he was told - "It's only you Americans that think it requires 1-1/8 oz. of shot to break a clay bird."

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 05:56:46 PM »
Never Mind.

Coffinmaker

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 05:31:09 AM »
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 07:29:29 AM »
I had a Stoeger about 16 years ago , Brazilian mystery wood (stained) , needed some polishing , never dicked with the Spring
but did de bur ...sold it for what I paid for it so all in all good juju.

Didn't own but did smooth out a Baikel MP220 for my pard about a year ago....
Heavier than a Stoegar about in line is craftsmanship, Russian  beech wood (stained)
stiff " strong like bull " needed some polishing , somehow feels more robust  , overall than the Stoeger I remember.

Both utilitarian, and plain as Jane ... the Ivan is just that plain  , but Stoeger does put lipstick on ( upgrade in wood and finishes )
So with Ivan you get a $300 +or - gun for $300 + or - depending on the retailer.

Stoeger you pay upwards for the lipstick .... which does add to the allusion   

Both work well enough to layout the knockdowns @ cowboy distance

That said, I won't get into,  oz of lead , or  recoil ,  2O gauge VS 12 gauge...wasn't  asked

I note:  spring kits are now offered for both  see  Palo Verde

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline FuriousFritz

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 06:43:37 AM »
I´ve bought an old Russian lady, named Baikal IJ58 (12Gauge)
Slicked it up a bit with some other springs and i´m quite happy with it.

She´s just for shooting mild BP loads...and she does it well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com