Author Topic: Short stroke kit - carrier stops?  (Read 5825 times)

Offline McCrower

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Short stroke kit - carrier stops?
« on: November 28, 2016, 07:17:18 AM »
Hello you guys. I have bought a  http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=159202  short stroke kit for my Uberti 1873 short rifle. I was hoping that I could install it myself, but I realize that I probably will have to send the rifle and kit to a gunsmith for fitting the kit. When I tried installing it, and work the action, the cartridge carrier stops half the way up. Is it possible to fix this problem myself or sholud I just send the whole thing away?

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Short stroke kit - carrier stops?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 01:16:25 PM »
Sell it to someone you don't like and shoot the '73 the "Cowboy" way .... ;>)

Just kidding. Your rifle, your way.

Someone on this forum once told me how to soup up my Henry - drill holes in the cartridge lifter, etc., etc. I asked him why I would do that to a classic rifle when I appreciate archaic firearms.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 05:33:35 PM »
Call them. Talk to one of the tech guys and tell them what is happening. They should be able to help you out. I have installed several from PGW and have had to call a couple of times to get technical help. wM1
PS Just because you have a short stroke kit in a 73 or several doesn't  mean you don't appreciate old rifles or shooting them. I have a few that do not have short stroke kits, Also have a 66 unaltered and an original Colt lightning in 38-40 the same way. Enjoy your SS'ed 73.  ;)
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:42:23 PM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 06:29:13 PM »
Common fitting problem.  Look carefully it is probably the bolt head binding in the cutout at the front of the carrier.  With the short stroke the carrier is rising before the bolt is far enough forward to clear the carrier.  Solution is usually to remove a little material off the back of the bolt head or off the step in the front of the carrier.  If you don't know what you are doing send it to someone that does.  Carriers and bolts can get expensive if you screw them up.  A goodly number of people switch to an aluminum carrier when they install the short stroke.  The aluminum carriers are already relieved.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 07:10:51 PM »
And/Or, along with what Pettifogger said about the hang-up on the Carrier Block, chances are, it's completely out of time and needs retimed to function correctly.

SEND     IT     AWAY !!

Coffinmaker

PS:  I would hope you have already changed out ALL the springs??

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 10:43:24 PM »
Would never use one, send it back and use the gun how it was made. If you want a match gun buy one from one of the experts who will do the whole job properly.

???
Buffalochip

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline FJ Hutch

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 03:30:07 PM »
Just got a short stroke kit for my Miroku from PGW.  I ordered two Large Caliber Carriers and they sent two Sm Ca. carriers.  Invoice show Large and the packaging showed Large, but the carriers were both for 357/38sp.  In the US this wouldn't be much of a problem, but in Canada that means getting the parts back to them and the proper ones back to me.  Sometimes customs is ok, but sometimes there's that new guy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com