Author Topic: what wood finish used  (Read 3892 times)

Offline olskool

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
what wood finish used
« on: November 23, 2016, 06:15:23 PM »
what was the original finish used on the 73 Winchesters? were some finished in a varnish like the deluxe while others were done in oil. or were they all done in oil?
beware of the man who has only one gun, he probably knows how to use it.....

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: what wood finish used
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 08:21:08 PM »
Depends on what was ordered.  Winchester had several different finishes.  Varnish over stain was very common.

Coffinmaker

Offline olskool

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 04:22:09 AM »
great to know, i see some of the deluxe models with a old varnish look but i did not know if someone in it's pass had added it or not.
beware of the man who has only one gun, he probably knows how to use it.....

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:02:42 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 01:26:25 PM »
Winchester also use'd somewhat "reddish" stain, similar but not quite as pronounced as Uberti's, under their varnish.  Without a factory letter, duplicating an "original" finish for a specific rifle is probably not possible.  Close ....Maybe.

When considering a "re-finish" of a Uberti, I would council to find a stain that you like.  In the wood business, most of us who worked in the cabinet industry (caskets?) do not consider "oils" to be a finish.  To each his, or her own however.

Coffinmaker

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 06:21:40 PM »
No factory letters I've seen specify the wood finish. Maybe if it was a special order with very upgraded wood it would but I have one with better than average wood with the lighter more custom finish nicely figured wood and some with ordinary looking red/brown finish and the difference is not specified in the Winchester factory letters for those rifles.

They mention caliber, barrel lengths, half magazines, set triggers and other custom features but the wood finish is not mentioned and I'm certain that rifle surely came with that stock. The gun with the fancier wood is half round barrel and button mag. but no mention of the woods finish in the letter.

It is quite obvious Winchester used more than one type finish commonly but suppose they didn't see that important to note.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline FJ Hutch

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 03:34:31 PM »
Fred’s French Oil Polish
This oil finish starts out with a piece of flannel:
•   One part linseed oil and two parts lacquer thinner. This will soak in right away, apply about two hundred coats rubbing it in until dry.
•   Then go to 1/2 & 1/2 for the next two hundred coats rubbing in each coat until dry and buff the fuzzies off with 0000 steel wool.
•   Then go to 2 parts linseed and one part lacquer thinner. By this time it will take quite a while for the oil to rub in between coats.
I was taught how to do this by Stephen Flindall a furniture builder back in 1972.  I had a Browning double automatic (twelvette) to refinish. He called it a French oil polish. It is very time consuming, but makes an incredible finish.  Any scratches that you may get from then on will polish out with a mix of linseed oil (2 parts) and lacquer thinner (1 part).  I keep a small bottle of this mix on hand in my gun shop for touch ups.
During the off season I will strip a new gun and apply this finish to its wood.  When done the wood will shine as bright as any type of varnish, but it will not chip.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com