Author Topic: Starline 56-50 brass performance in original Spencers?  (Read 4082 times)

Offline steved66

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Starline 56-50 brass performance in original Spencers?
« on: November 22, 2016, 10:14:06 PM »
I have an original Spencer Model 1860, arsenal converted post CW to 56-50, that I want to start shooting.  I installed the conversion block from S&S and now I plan to load up some ammo.  There is a lot of information scattered within this forum about reloading for original Spencers but I'm having a hard time pinpointing information on the brands of brass to use and specifically information on whether Starline 56-50 brass works in original Spencer carbines.  I've read here and there on this forum that the Starline brass does not work (rim doesn't protrude enough to catch the thin ejector), and I've read others' posts that seem to indicate the brass does work. 

Does it come down to trial and error for each gun, in that it Starline 56-50 works in some but not in others?  Is there an available brand of brass out there that is more likely to cycle in original carbines?  Do I need to cut down and neck ream 50-70 brass?  I look forward to receiving comments from other shooters/reloaders for original Spencer 56-50 carbine.  I'd hate to purchase a box of 50 shells from S&S only to find out the brass doesn't cycle (he won't sell in lesser quantities).

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Re: Starline 56-50 brass performance in original Spencers?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 10:33:11 AM »
You can buy in quanties as low as 1 from trackofthewolf.com. Also the starline cases worked in my Model 1865 by Burnside.
Good Luck and have fun!
You can also buy as low as 20 from midwayusa.com.

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 07:10:56 AM »
Hello:

I started out with the modified 50-70 Sharps cases, then moved through the first version of Ballard Rifle Co's turned case and now the successor company, Rocky Mountain Cartridge's turned case.  All three worked well.

I bought some STARLINE rounds from a SSS MEMBER and they cycled and fired fine.  The only issue is that the Starline cases can have a bit thicker walls and more INTERNAL taper at and below the case mouth.  This tends to cause a parallel profiled expander plug to push the thicker internal wall portion and make bullet tension lower.  CH4D dies in Ohio knows how to modify their expander plug to minimize this minor issue.

Regards,
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:43:21 AM »

Offline steved66

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 09:20:29 AM »
Gentlemen,

Thanks for your feedback.  I'll try to pick a few Starline cases up from Track of the Wolf and see how it goes.

Steve

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 09:53:19 AM »
The Starline I had DID NOT work in my original. I ended up buying converted 50-70 brass from Buffalo Arms.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 04:15:10 PM »
Hello:

The RIM diameter of the 56-50 STARLINE brass is nominally .630" compared to .649" on altered BELL 50-70 Sharps cases and .644" on BR&C's; both cases meant for ORIGINAL Spencers.  BR&C's cases extract well.

I have seen modern "production" 50-70/90 cases with a rim OD of as large as .660".  This .660" is right AT the usual original Spencer CHAMBER rim CUT dimension.  And, according to the technician at STARLINE: THE SAAMI 50-70 cartridge drawing contains dimensional errors that depict a "fatter" case body.  With known variations in the observed dimensions of chambers of original Spencers (perhaps from tooling wear and resharpening), careful measurement and case matching is a must.

But, that nominal .015" total rim diameter/.0075" a side difference can be offset by VERY GENTLY bending the top 1/2" of the blade, NOT JUST ITS TIP, EVER SO SLIGHTLY inward to create more side pressure just above the rim.  BE CAREFUL DOING THIS.  Most blades are a little brittle, so avoid putting force on the screw head and blade eye.  DON'T BEND ANY MORE THAN NECESSARY.  Overbending WILL create extractor alignment interference.

THIS IS NOT SOMETHING A HEAVY-HANDED PERSON SHOULD ATTEMPT.

Respectfully,
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 05:11:09 PM »
I found in my early experiments with altering 5070 for 5656 Spencer, the rim dia. was a bit too large.
This may have been due to the manufacture? I do not know.
However, with a bit of rim trimming, I was able to correct the issue. I cannot speak to the new made stuff.
My best, 
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com