Author Topic: Husqvarna Hammer Doubles  (Read 4492 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Husqvarna Hammer Doubles
« on: November 22, 2016, 11:50:01 AM »
OK all you fans of Hammer Double Guns.  How may of youz are familiar with or conversant in Husqvarna Hammer Double shotguns??  It would appear I'm gonna get lucky and become the happy owner of one.  Share your Experience??

Coffinmaker

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
Re: Husquavarna Hammer Doubles
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 04:02:17 PM »
What model? I have 5 underlevers and an M51. The underlevers are an authentic reproduction of the Lefaucheux's that were available from about 1836. Generally good basic guns, but usually short chambers, but work well with Magtechs.

If you can look at the gun, and it is an underlever, see if the lever appears to fit properly.  A common bubba-fix for a loose action was to bend the lever upwards to make it appear tight.

here is the best website ;  http://www.skydevaaben.com/index.xml
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Husqvarna Hammer Doubles
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 09:46:54 PM »
Thank You Sir Charles.  

My current acquisition is a Model 51, top lever.  I am however, also chasing an "Under Lever."  The under-lever has just got to be some kind of ultimate KOOL.  Everybody shows up at a match with your garden variety TTN/Cimarron or That Russian gun.  I'd like to show up with something just a little, no, a lot different.  Fast??  No.  Stylin??  Ya Buddy!!

Coffinmaker

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:13:35 PM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
Re: Husquavarna Hammer Doubles
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 11:19:06 PM »
I have never been fast, so wouldn't know how to speed it up with an underlever, and have not used one in competition. I don't see any big problems, but it would take two hands to drop the barrels, and they drop FAST! Closing needs a hand on the hot barrels to lift them up - then twist your left hand to close the lever. Look back to posts by WOLFGANG. He used a Husky chopped to about 20" bbls. in competition (I think?), that might ease the shock of barrels dropping. There is nothing to resist gravity.

My CAS piece is also an m51 in 16ga. No reason for not being as fast as you can be. It would normally be short chambered. Technically no real reason not to stretch to 2 3/4" but why?  What gauge?

"Husqvarna"
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 07:54:48 PM »
I too see no way to shoot an Under-Lever fast.  However I do see the description of a "fast" under-lever to be relative.  You know, relative to flint lock fowler??  Perhaps compared to a Cap Lock??   Those are the guns the under-lever was originally designed to replace.  I will be adding a shaped leather Barrel Wrap (Galco) to mine.  Running the gun in a CAS match with "bare" barrels is not listed in my lexicon of .... fun.  Fortunately in this case, speed is not the issue.  KOOL is the issue.  Every Tom, Dick and Hortense has a TTN or something similar.  Never seen an under-lever at a CAS match.  I'll be the first kid on my block.  I'll shoot at least once with the long OEM barrels before I get out the Hacksaw.

The 51 is a 12 gauge.  Touted to have 2 3/4 chambers.  Somehow, I rather doubt the gun will have modern 2 3/4 dimensions.  I plan to shoot the gun with 2 1/2inch Mag Tech and BP.  I know they are proofed for smokeless.  I just don't enjoy smokeless.  Making clouds of smoke is funner.  Looking forward to next season.

And ..... Thank you for the Hyper.  Really good site and good information.  A Husquavarna Model 50 is a Chainsaw.  Ask me how I know dat.

Coffinmaker  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com