Author Topic: Uberti 1866 replacement bolt.  (Read 4560 times)

Offline John William McCandles

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Uberti 1866 replacement bolt.
« on: November 20, 2016, 12:23:18 PM »
I have an older '66 with the cross pin retained firing pin extension. Do any of the parts vendors offer a kit to upgrade the bolt to the newer style bolt with the current production retainer?
 I found the retaining cross pin to be bent when I tore this '66 down for it's winter cleaning. This '66 is in .44spl.
Thanks
JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
Alpine Outlaws (Inactive)
NRA Life
NAHC Life
U.S. Navy Submarine Service Retired

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1194
Re: Uberti 1866 replacement bolt.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 01:08:43 PM »
I don't think so.  You can either put a new pin in yours and use it as is, or else you need to buy a complete new bolt/FP-extension assembly.

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 03:43:11 PM »
Taylors and VTI sell a one part number kit that replaces the old style bolt  & firing pin extension with a whole new assembly.  Had to do it to my '66 when the old one wore out.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:13:50 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 03:57:39 PM »
Ah well .......... I think Abilene actually answered your question while he was not actually answering your question but I'll answer your question again anyway ...... OK??

The answer is YES.  Uberti has had out for a couple of years a "KIT" that replaces old style Bolt/Extension Tod that was retained by that itty bitty cross pin.  The kit includes a new Bolt, Firing Pin, Firing Pin Return Spring, Extension Rod and the little doh icky that retains the the Extension Rod.  The link pivot pit that retains the doh icky is included in the new Bolt.  As long as your rifle was manufactured in the
last 20 - 25 years the kit will fit.

Now the bad news.  The kits are on BACK ORDER at VTI Gunparts.  They will receive about 50 kits.  Those 50 kits will only last about 3 days.  CALL get on the Back Order list to be called when they come in.

Coffinmaker

PS:  Uberti no longer supports parts for the cross pin bolts.  Bad Bolt and you MUST buy the whole kit.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 06:48:41 PM »
I have an older '66 with the cross pin retained firing pin extension. Do any of the parts vendors offer a kit to upgrade the bolt to the newer style bolt with the current production retainer?
 I found the retaining cross pin to be bent when I tore this '66 down for it's winter cleaning. This '66 is in .44spl.
Thanks
JW

As noted the kits are on back order.  I have had stuff on backorder with Uberti for up to two years.  In the alternative clarify what you are talking about.  If the only thing wrong is that the retaining pin is bent that is a five cent item that can be made out of an old drill bit, a piece of music wire, etc.

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 10:20:03 PM »
When I was at Cimarron about a month ago, they had a lot of those assemblies in stock.

Offline John William McCandles

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 08:15:16 AM »
As noted the kits are on back order.  I have had stuff on backorder with Uberti for up to two years.  In the alternative clarify what you are talking about.  If the only thing wrong is that the retaining pin is bent that is a five cent item that can be made out of an old drill bit, a piece of music wire, etc.

Was wondering if a the end of a drill bit of the proper size would work.
Thanks for all the replies.

JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
Alpine Outlaws (Inactive)
NRA Life
NAHC Life
U.S. Navy Submarine Service Retired

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 09:25:35 PM »

Yep.  A perfectly serviceable cross pin can be made from the correct size drill bit.

Coffinmaker

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 361
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 06:16:37 PM »
JW, Drill it out larger and use the drill bit to cut off and make a pin. The original pins are tiny. I've drilled three or four out to a larger pin, the 73 rifles Miss Kitty and I have been shooting in main match are both old style that I've drilled the bolts out for larger pins.

Email me to remind me and I'll try and look in the shop and see what size bit I drilled them out to.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 09:19:47 AM »
Depending on the age there are at least two pin sizes.  The "newer" ones have larger pins.  Also, FYI, the 66 and 73 bolts are the same.  The only difference is the extractor.  The 73 extractor has a little tab on top to open the dust cover.  The new style bolts with the retainder plate are also all over the map dimensionally.  Some have a wider tab on the bottom and won't fit the old carriers.  You have to mill the slot in the bottom of the carrier just a bit wider.  On some the tip of the tab itself is shaped incorrectly and can even prevent the bolt from closing until it is fixed.  In other words, if a new bolt and firing pin extension is purchased it is not necessarly a drop-in.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com