Author Topic: *** Photos Added *** Spencer in the Irish " Wild West"  (Read 2711 times)

Offline Mountain Man

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
*** Photos Added *** Spencer in the Irish " Wild West"
« on: November 14, 2016, 12:02:44 PM »
 Many moons ago I used to read about all the characters that "Won the West" and indeed the East too. Along with the human element, I read with fascination about the tools that helped to shape this new world, quickly becoming familiar with the names of the famous gunmakers.

Little did I realize that one day I'd be in a position where I could aquire such antiquities. I never imagined that one day a Spencer carbine would reside in my bolthole alongside my library of American history.

It would appear to have spent some time below the Mason Dixon line, it's condition suggesting some hard use!

If only it could talk!

(Photos Added by Two Flints)

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
Re: *** Photos Added *** Spencer in the Irish " Wild West"
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 11:47:51 AM »
I may have missed it, but what indications are there that this carbine "spent time below the Mason-Dixon Line"?  From the serial number this definitely appears to be a M1860 Spencer Carbine, cal. .56-56.  The condition, indeed, indicates hard use...just what I like in antique arms. The mint ones never went anyplace!  Nice find!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Mountain Man

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 03:13:03 PM »
Well Sir,
   With all due respect, I only suggested as much due to information that I received re the serial number which indicated which unit it was issued to, which subsequently spent a period of time in the deep south. Incidentally, I purchased said piece
 in the Old Dominion!
  If you can shed any further light on its provenance, I'd be delighted...

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:53:12 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com