Author Topic: refinished Spencer  (Read 3639 times)

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
refinished Spencer
« on: November 07, 2016, 04:21:27 PM »
Found a 1860 Spencer carbine in a shop that seems to be in good order. It had been sanded, buffed and hot blued with the stock sanded as well. It's a lined barrel with three groove and the forearm screw missing. I've considered buying it with the idea doing a proper job of polishing the metal then recase hardening it. The lettering is nearly gone but I think it would be a dandy shooter. Serial #57759 and still a rim fire. About what would you fellows think would be a ball park value?
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: refinished spencer
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 12:20:07 PM »
Well, Two Flints says "I paid $1400.00 for a nice shooting Spencer Carbine" so that is something to work with. Any other opinions?
Member, whiskey livers

Offline injun john

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: refinished Spencer
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 06:30:12 PM »
Since you're looking for a shooter you might want to look at it from the perspective of how much would a new Armi-Sport cost? 
New a carbine is going to be around $1400 or better.  After you walk it out of the gun store its worth around $200 less,
after firing a few times knock off another $100 or more and by then you'll have invested an additional $350 or so in reloading gear and brass.
If you ever want to sell it.  It's an Italian rifle made less than 8 years ago.  It's value is always going down.

The original gun you are looking at will always be a real Spencer and if a good shooter then it's a prize. 
If it's a sleeved gun with a 3 groove bore then it should be in 56-50. Many were sleeved and rechambered from 56-56 to accept the new 56-50 cartridge after the Civil war and shipped out West to fight the Indian wars.   
The 56-50 is easiest  true Spencer caliber to load for. Not a heeled bullet but inside lubed with a strong crimp.
One less special reloading die to buy and that is always a plus. 
Brass is available at Buffalo Arms as is everything else you will need. If they are out or back ordering 56-50 dies check C4H custom dies online. That is who makes them for the original guns.
The gun at $1,000 to $1,600 if well cared for will always be worth that or most likely more.  So what's to lose?

If you enjoy shooting these guns, nothing beats shooting a real one.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:33:44 PM »

Offline injun john

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 06:35:16 PM »
Meant to say CH4D Custom not C4H.

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 06:55:37 PM »
Thanks Injun John, all good points and is in line with my thoughts. Let's not forget the center fire breech conversion. Sad part is the shop owner asked $2000 for it but seemed willing to talk. But at that starting point the costs considering my work is worth some thing is more then my interest.
Member, whiskey livers

Offline injun john

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 07:01:48 PM »
There is a forearm screw for sale on e-bay right now if you do buy this rifle. I bought the guy's forward trigger plate screw. 

Offline Rim fire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 07:14:57 AM »
It's been buffed, reblued-the collector value is gone.  Now you are looking at a shooter only.  I would value it at around $1000.  You can get 1860 carbines for around $1600-1800 that have not been over cleaned or buffed.  Right now there is a 1860 carbine on gunbroker in very good shape that the guy would take $1600.  I bought an 1860 rifle from the same guy two weeks ago with a mint bore for $1600.  It is not worth $2000.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com