Author Topic: Shooting my Whitneyville Dragoon  (Read 3715 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Shooting my Whitneyville Dragoon
« on: November 05, 2016, 03:32:21 PM »
Gentlemen,  Just got to shoot my Whitneyville Dragoon for the first time.  Great pistol!  I'm going to have to work on it a bit to keep the loading lever from dropping every shot.  Stronger spring, maybe, and cut the notch a little deeper.  Really cool pistol to shoot, though!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

JohnsonBarr

Re: Shooting my Whitneyville Dragoon
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 04:57:49 PM »
A stronger latch spring may help. But, I bet you were loading chambers powder full before the ball. Excessive recoil will drop a loading lever every time. Print your pistol on paper and adjust your load for shooting at your intended distance for accuracy. As an example I find my Dragoons will print 3" above point of aim at 20 yds. with 25 grs. 3Fg topped by a 1.0 cc Lee dipper of Quaker Quick Grits and a .451 Hornaday round ball. To give you another example, this past summer at the Grand Muster I used my .45 Colt '72 Open Top loaded with 16grs. 3Fg and a 0.7cc Lee dipper of grits topped by a 160gr. RNFP and scored a 96 of a possible 100 at 25 yds. in the precision pistol stage. 

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 05:22:55 PM »
But I LIKE shooting chambers full!  I'm going to try a stronger spring and possibly make the latch notch a little deeper.  I'll probably end up putting a dovetailed front sight on as well.  Fun pistol!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:26:31 PM »

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 08:28:13 PM »
My persona for Plainsmen is an early 1850's Texas Ranger.  They liked Dragoons because they'd go right through a Comanche horse and into the Comanche..........so I need the extra power!

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 09:55:30 PM »
My Uberti (Cimarron) 2nd Model Dragoon would drop the lever half the time with anything above 35 grains or so of FFF. Filed the notch and never had any more problems. Now shoot 40-43 grains (FFF) all the time with a .454 ball and felt wad and haven't had the lever drop since filing nine years ago. The Dragoon did take two trips to the operating table before I got it right. Considered the spring treatment if filing didn't work, but wasn't needed. Bought a Uberti Transition Dragoon a little over a year ago and so far haven't had the lever drop, even using my 40-43 grain load. Probably jinxed myself, the next time I take it out, it'll probably drop!! You'll like your gun, love shootin mine.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 12:16:07 AM »
I already like it.  Scored a 56 out of 60 on a B-27 target at 25 yards after I learned I needed to aim at the bottom ring to get in the ten ring.  Should do better once I learn to shoot it!

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 11:28:46 AM »
Gentlemen,  Just got to shoot my Whitneyville Dragoon for the first time.  Great pistol!  I'm going to have to work on it a bit to keep the loading lever from dropping every shot.  Stronger spring, maybe, and cut the notch a little deeper.  Really cool pistol to shoot, though!

very nice....  cool piece congrats  :)

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 06:30:05 PM »
It IS cool, but it's a beast!  You have to lift weights just so you can hold it up with one hand!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com