Author Topic: Do you add a forcing cone on your c&b's?  (Read 4167 times)

Offline Capt. JEB Forrest

• Top Active Citizen
  • " Garryowen!"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Do you add a forcing cone on your c&b's?
« on: November 01, 2016, 02:06:43 PM »
Do you all add/make forcing cones on the barrels of your Colt's or leave as is from factory?
Commander Cavalry
Department of the Atlantic

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Do you add a forcing cone on your c&b's?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 02:27:00 PM »
Only if the chambers are not lining up well and I am getting lead spitting. Some guns have very little forcing cones and others come from the factory with generous cones.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

45 Dragoon

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 07:27:05 PM »
Depends if you're shooting balls or conicals.  A ball shooter needs immediate rifling.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:22:49 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 07:33:45 PM »
I add an 11 degree forcing cone on Cap Guns.  A very SHALLOW one.  Not more than an 1/8th inch.  Eases the ball into the rifling.

Coffinmaker

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 06:40:44 PM »
Depends if you're shooting balls or conicals.  A ball shooter needs immediate rifling.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

+1.  I just break the sharp edge at the back of the barrel.  I never shoot conicals.

Offline Cemetery

• Top Active Citizen
    • Cemetery's Gun Blob
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 09:11:21 PM »

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Can you explain?

I've always read people debating yes or no, but with no real explanation.   
God forgives, I don't........

45 Dragoon

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 03:27:54 AM »
There is a very slight cone already  (factoy) which leaves the rifling fairly immediate. The ball has a cylindrical band formed at loading which isn't much of a bearing surface but is plenty for engaging the rifling.  If you have an actual  forcing cone cut in your barrel,  the ball will be in "free flight " with no stability. Accuracy will suffer.

On the other hand, a conical bullet will be supported (because of the length) as it exits the chamber and enters the cone. The enhanced f.c. will allow better intro to the rifling just as it does in modern revolvers.

Howzat? Lol!! 8)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline Cemetery

• Top Active Citizen
    • Cemetery's Gun Blob
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 06:48:54 AM »
There is a very slight cone already  (factoy) which leaves the rifling fairly immediate. The ball has a cylindrical band formed at loading which isn't much of a bearing surface but is plenty for engaging the rifling.  If you have an actual  forcing cone cut in your barrel,  the ball will be in "free flight " with no stability. Accuracy will suffer.

On the other hand, a conical bullet will be supported (because of the length) as it exits the chamber and enters the cone. The enhanced f.c. will allow better intro to the rifling just as it does in modern revolvers.

Howzat? Lol!! 8)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Ok, I think I got it.

Round balls basically don't have enough meat on them to grab onto the rifling, while conicals do.  Accuracy suffers when the space from the cylinder chamber and rifling is too long, because the flattened area on the round ball is too small for this area, hence 'free flight', while a conical could basically grab the rifling and still be in the cylinder chamber for an extremely brief spell.
God forgives, I don't........

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 01:59:22 AM »
...If you have an actual  forcing cone cut in your barrel,  the ball will be in "free flight " with no stability. Accuracy will suffer...

I disagree & here's why:  the projectile is "dumb" and only "knows" diameter until it engages the rifling. If the FC end (technically called the leade) is the same diameter as the groove diameter then all is well. Most importantly the projectile needs to transition into the rifling as unmolested as possible. That's why it's best to have chamber diameters as close as possible to actual groove diameter and not undersized chambers as then you get gas cutting around the projectile which can cause leading and degraded accuracy. There is no "free flight" as the projectiles is trapped within the chamber & then FC area. There is however a short stint of unrifled passage into the FC but that is unimportant  per my experiences IF the chambers are properly reamed to match the groove diameter of the barrel or 0.001" greater.

Do a Google search on Taylor throating for revolvers with grossly oversized chambers to better understand this principle. Just my 2 cents.

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 01:57:28 PM »
I put R & D conversion cylinders on my NMA's when I was shooting Big Lubes. I was getting sprayed with lead at the forcing cones - Yes, the revolvers were timed perfectly.  Started using Ideal 454190 RNFP bullets and the spraying stopped!
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com