Author Topic: Uberti Shallow Rifling  (Read 12230 times)

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
Re: Uberti Shallow Rifling
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2017, 09:42:44 AM »
I won't be trying 20-30 different powders. Honestly if it won't shoot lead and black powder it aint worth owning IMO. That's what the rifle and the cartridge were designed for.

If I can find a safe suitable load for some jacketed bullets I'll try that just to see what happens. Honestly if mine was not a beautiful custom order with my name as a serial# I would have done pawned it off. What I paid for the thing would have went a long way towards another nice original 76.

Mine is beautiful to look at but as you say, it is about like a woman, looks can be deceiving.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2017, 11:48:09 AM »
Cliff............
"I won't be trying 20-30 different powders. Honestly if it won't shoot lead and black powder it aint worth owning IMO. That's what the rifle and the cartridge were designed for."
  I concur exactly..........I have sent several of the repro's packing! the guns are not cheap and my tolerance level for poor performance is short. Black powder and lead.............as they where meant to shoot. I wonder if Uberti ever reads these forums??

all the best
kw

Offline larryo1

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2017, 06:36:46 PM »
Well, the two that I settled on are 76 grains of Swiss 1½ and 22 grains of 2400.  I did have very good results with the 300 grain Hornady jacked soft point and 22.0 grains of 2400 but the lead bullet I use is a 350 grain Hoch custom mold so it is not a "run-of-the-mill" type mold. So anyway I guess my rifle does what I expect of it.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 12:32:28 PM »

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2017, 07:58:10 PM »
I have not had as good results using the 350 gr. bullet compared to the 300, which is what the cartridge and rifle was designed for.  The heavier bullet may not be stabilized by the Uberti's rifling twist.  The 45-75 likes the heavier bullets though.

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2017, 09:51:20 AM »
If you are shooting Black Powder:
     Get the book by J.S. and Pat Wolf.  Granted, it is about the trapdoor, but the principles apply to the modern Uberti (at least in 45-60).  At least drill the flash-holes- for me, this is the #1 thing to make B.P. shoot better in all the cartridges I've tried.
     If you are shooting smokeless, there is no need to re-invent the wheel.  The loading threads on this board are enough to get a person through about anything.  If you want a different source, the book by Ken waters should still be available.

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2017, 01:06:55 PM »
That has to be dissapionting buying a NEW rifle that you cant find a load for. When shooting an old 76 with a not so great bore you kinda expect a bit of finicky from it. If I had one with a new bore I would have to solve the problem, or pull my hair out trying . If there is no mechanical issues then , there is a load it will shoot good. Has to be.  But what is it? Thats the fun of it all finding that sweet spot. Funny thing I have a 76 in 40/60 that will shoot anything I feed it very accurate, and another not much different that must have a special load to shoot accurate MISS FINICKY . A 73 carbine 44wcf that will shoot most as good as any rifle I have within iron sight range 150-200yd, for me .no matter what I feed it so far it gets along with anything. Then there is the 28"HVY barrel 73 44wcf that must have the special load but drives tac's with its favorite load. It may be coincidence but my 76 rifles chambered in 45/75wcf are the least finicky of all. They are shooters with any bp. brand I have tried even the sub. Pyrodex. About the only thing that differs is the ammount and type of fouling.  Note all my 45/75's get 350 gr bullets. Even when I shot PP slick's through them they were 354gr.  PS. they shot great single load only , but fun .,,,DT

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2017, 08:20:13 PM »
I've tried 300 and 350 in the Uberti.

dusty, what 350 grain bullet are you using in your 45-75 with black powder?

Johnson County Rangers

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2017, 04:49:29 AM »
Cliff , the Winchester mould before they started putting the wooden handles on them, forget the yr. they call it  . Shoot them as cast @ a tad over .458 .   pending on the mia about @ 352 gr. Home made lube deer tallow/wax/olive oil . I have shot the lazercast 350's Bulletmiester 350's and some Lyman 350's , all did well. The original bullet does as well as any  or a tad better and  i have a mould . PM me an address and will get some to you,,,DT

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2017, 10:38:28 AM »
dusty, PM sent

Johnson County Rangers

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2017, 11:20:40 AM »
Got it Cliff,,,DT

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2017, 07:36:57 PM »
Well, I'm still hopeful with my Uberti 45-75 carbine.  I shot a few of my smokeless loads today (IMR 4198 powder and an Accurate Molds 46-345LC bullet: http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=46-345LC-D.png).  Again, my home range only goes to 45 yards, but I think that there is promise here.  The flier was my fault, by the way.  The "rest" involved here was just my plastic recycling bin with a sandbag on top.  It's kind of stable, but not perfect.

You may recall that when I sized these bullets to .458, I got pretty scattered "patterns", but when I loaded them as-cast at .459, things improved.  That was the beginning of this topic asking about shallow rifling and whether others have experienced similar issues.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com