Author Topic: "New" Old Sharps  (Read 4944 times)

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
"New" Old Sharps
« on: October 23, 2016, 03:42:07 PM »
I chanced upon an old Sharps carbine and was fortunate enough to acquire it a couple of months ago.  The factory letter than came with it gave the date of manufacture as 1876.  Note that it is built on an 1863 Sharps action.  These carbines are mentioned in Seller's book as one of the few 50-70's built in Bridgeport after the move. These carbines also had 25" barrels rather than the more standard 22".

The rifle is all original with the exception of a replacement hammer installed by C Sharps relatively recently.  The rifle was owned by John Schoffstall, as the factory letter with it was addressed to him.  The bore is in amazingly good condition, being still shiny with strong rifling.  I've installed a Marbles tang sight - thanks to my local gun surgeon making me some screws to replace the existing tang screws, so I could mount it without modification to the rifle.

The bore, much to my surprise, slugs at 0.5045", and I had to have a mold made to fit it.  Once I did that, it shoots really well.  I haven't done any formal paper punching beyond zeroing the sights, but I can consistently ring a 14" target offhand at 100 yards.  That's good enough for me to enjoy playing at our local Cody Dixon SASS matches.  ;D
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: "New" Old Sharps
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 06:36:44 PM »
Good find! When I ordered my Shiloh 50-70 carbine, Kirk asked me what I wanted it for. I told him CAS and hunting. He recommended a 24" barrel for the added sight radius and a tad more velocity. He as right. The carbine regularly hits 28 oz. tomato cans at 100m with 65 grs FFg/450 Lyman 515141 - off hand!

It is shorter than my Trapdoor carbine with 22" barrel due to the compactness of the action.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 08:41:24 PM »
Nice old rifle. Have fun with it.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:58:28 AM »

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 09:33:02 PM »
PJ,

Yep, I like this barrel length.  I also have a C Sharp '75 carbine in 45-70 with a 26" barrel.  I think these make an ideal all purpose rifle if you're not playing the silhouette game. The perfect weight and balance.  I'm only using 51 grains of Olde Eynsford FFg with a 465 grain bullet - just enough to get a slight compression on it. It does what I need without placing any unnecessary stress on the old rifle.

Ranch 13,

I really like the old girl.  She'll have a home with me and my son for the next couple of generations..............
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 07:03:37 PM »
Absolutely NOTHING has the cachet of an old Sharps! They really make you wish they could talk. I know someone with an original conversion to a cartridge 45(?) and it still has the original percussion priming mechanism.

Haven't talked to him in years. I should see if he's willing to part with it ....
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 10:39:11 PM »
I also have a friend with one of those - what are the odds?  Loading him some ammo for it is what resulted in me being set up to load the 50-70.  The problem with his is that his rifle's bore wasn't relined during the conversion and is HUGE!  I'd have to get a hollow base mold to cast bullets that stood a chance of working, and he didn't want to spend the money for that.  I may still do it myself one day just to see if I can get it to shoot something more resembling rifle groups than shotgun patterns!

At any rate, there is definitely something special about the old Sharps.  My gun surgeon has an original in 95+% condition, and it is a beauty to behold.
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Jack Wagon

• Top Active Citizen
  • the High Sierra
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 05:56:28 PM »
I also have an unlined 63' new model 50-70 with a huge bore. It slugged out a groove diameter of around .540. I got the 56-56 Spencer heeled bullet mold from Buffalo Arms 539375 and it works great. Now if I could only tame that trigger pull!  Jw
Jack Wagon
Member NRA
Member #358 SSS

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 10:06:46 PM »
Jack,

That is interesting.  Amazing how large that bore is.  They were supposed to be lined when they were that large.

I've since found a mold manufacturer (Accurate Molds) that will make their designs to any diameter specified, so I need to get a good slug on the barrel of that old Sharps and do that as one of my projects.  There are just so many projects waiting on time and money......
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Jack Wagon

• Top Active Citizen
  • the High Sierra
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 09:02:05 AM »
I hear ya Blackpowder, never enough time and money for the important things. The good thing about my over bore Sharps is you would be lucky to hit the side of a barn with standard 50-70 ammo ( a .515 bullet will drop right through) , it doesn't look like it was used much after the conversion and is in amazingly good condition.   Jw
Jack Wagon
Member NRA
Member #358 SSS

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 11:01:42 AM »
Send your rifle to Shiloh. They'll be able to tame the trigger pull.

I also have an unlined 63' new model 50-70 with a huge bore. It slugged out a groove diameter of around .540. I got the 56-56 Spencer heeled bullet mold from Buffalo Arms 539375 and it works great. Now if I could only tame that trigger pull!  Jw

Offline Jack Wagon

• Top Active Citizen
  • the High Sierra
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 03:07:27 PM »
That's a good idea Hardtack, send it to someone that knows what they are doing. I've messed with the spring tension screw and it helped somewhat, but it would be really nice to get the trigger pull down to 2 1/2 - 3 pounds. Jw
Jack Wagon
Member NRA
Member #358 SSS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com