Author Topic: Anyone regularly shoot BP plastic or Magtech Shells in a Win 97?  (Read 4791 times)

Offline paledun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
My Win 97's keep calling me to load them up and take them to a match.  But since changing to a SXS with PB in brass shells, they just remain overlooked.  I see no reason why they would not be reliable with BP and plastic but wonder about a match-length event with brass hulls.  Anyone doing this regularly?  Would appreciate experience, suggestions or whatever and thanks in advance.  Sagerider

Offline Cemetery

• Top Active Citizen
    • Cemetery's Gun Blob
  • Liked:
Re: Anyone regularly shoot BP plastic or Magtech Shells in a Win 97?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 09:00:03 AM »
My Win 97's keep calling me to load them up and take them to a match.  But since changing to a SXS with PB in brass shells, they just remain overlooked.  I see no reason why they would not be reliable with BP and plastic but wonder about a match-length event with brass hulls.  Anyone doing this regularly?  Would appreciate experience, suggestions or whatever and thanks in advance.  Sagerider

Plasitic is fine.  I've seen many BP shooters use plastic shells in their 97's at monthly, and two day matches.

Never seen anybody use brass shells in a 97 though.
God forgives, I don't........

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 10:51:48 AM »
That Heathen Fad plastic stuff seems to work just fine.  I have personally shot an entire match with a '97 shooting BP in plastic hulls and had no more problems than with ..... "other" stuff. 

Since '97s really aren't cowboy and I switched to Hammer Doubles and All Brass Hulls, I haven't had the opportunity to try Mag Tech hulls in a '97.  I have several acquaintances who claim to have run Mag Tech in a '97, but it (running brass in a '97) would probably require a light crimp of the case mouth, which I am unwilling to do.

Coffinmaker

Advertising

Offline paledun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 01:31:44 PM »
Coffinmaker, thanks for the information.  A year or so ago I annealed a box of Magtech 12 ga hulls to see if the blowback was reduced in my SXS.  And it was but shucking the spent hull was not improved as the hulls were tight to the chamber walls after firing.  Using them for a 97 with a crimp would assist in loading and the gun's extractor should not have a problem.  Annealing them every 4-5 rounds should prevent cracks from developing even with the crimping.  Your thoughts, ps.  Sagerider

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 02:10:45 PM »
I shoot Brass smokeless in my 97/16. They work and function very well. Black or Subs might be a bit on the messy side do to the blow back. Maybe not so much with an annealed case mouth.

I am sure some one has or is using black in a 97.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 03:33:50 PM »
I think annealing your case mouth might help, but those "others" I know who regularly shoot Brass Hulls only put a slight "roll" on the hull mouth and it stays there.  Doesn't open up (so I'm told) so I think you only have to roll Brass once.  Lefty Dude is much better source there than I.

I don't shoot a '97 anymore.  Never really thought the '97 was "Cowboy."  The only thing I shoot now are Hammer Doubles.  I don't feel the need to roll the mouth cause I ain't fast anymore anyway.  ;D  I just think All Brass Hulls are downright KOOL!!

Coffinmaker

PS:  Basically, I learned all I know about running All Brass Hulls from Lefty Dude.  Then mostly just running them every match and finding the combination that worked for me and my guns.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 10:58:53 PM »
Paladin UK used to load his 97/16 with BP in Magtechs, reportedly without issues. I didn't see him on my last trip to England.  I did visit his club, The Pickett's Hill Marshals, but missed seeing him. I believe he has retired? Here is a post about his '97. I couldn't  pick out the post where he discussed reloading with BP.

In '97, I'll bet that most shells contained the True Gunpowder, so why are we fussing?

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,8266.0.html
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 11:02:48 AM »
Sir Charles,
Not to be raiding the Hen House (Thread Drift), but PUK use to come up with some really fantastic stuff.  Talented guy with some really neat modifications for Percussion guns.  I miss seeing him on the Forums.

Coffinmaker

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 06:57:41 PM »
Both 12ga and 16ga Win. 97s hang on my gun rack.  Which one I use at a given match depends on my mood.  I've shot lots of plastic and some paper hull ammo.  A strong load of Black Powder in paper can cause head separation.  When this happens the paper tube that separates can stick in the barrel.  If you're lucky, and I was, your next round won't chamber and you will have seen just the brass base extract.  With black powder in the heat of battle (with the steel KDs) you could miss the separated hull.  If it sticks far enough down the barrel you could be in for an explosive disassembly of your gun with possible injury or worse.

So, I no longer reload paper hulls more than once.  That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 05:17:33 PM »
The Military used Brass Hulls in their Trench Guns for years.  They switched to Brass Hulls because the paper ones would swell up in the wet conditions in France in WW1.

As long as yo have a slight roll on the mouths of the brass hulls, they feed right well in the Winchester '97's, '12's and 1200's.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline FriscoCounty

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 83712
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 03:31:24 PM »
Got some friends who shoot BP in plastic.  They view it as a use once proposition, so they either use once fired shells or pick up the cheapest primed hulls on sale at BPI.
NRA Life Benefactor, CRPA Life, SASS Life 83712, RO I, Hiram Ranger 48, Coyote Valley Sharpshooters, Coyote Valley Cowboys, SASS TG

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 06:44:37 PM »
Genuine Powder burns hot, and keeps on burning, for a few seconds.  Paper hulls can take the heat. . . once.  Plastic can last longer.  Sometimes it pays to cut off the crimp closure and load shorter shells.  This can be easily accomplished by adjusting the wad column.

All that said, hulls can only go just so far and then need to be discarded.  Brass hulls can last a lot longer, but not indefinitely.

And that Pards, is the truth about shooting the Holy Black at SASS matches.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com