Author Topic: Grips  (Read 9230 times)

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Grips
« on: October 18, 2016, 01:58:17 PM »
My USFA has the standard gutta percha grips, and I would like something with some more character.  Any suggestions on where to find fancy one-piece walnut grips?
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Grips
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 04:23:53 PM »
First problem in your quest.  One piece grips are "fit" to the gun at the time of manufacture.  After fitting, the frame is finished.  USFA is now DO DO so you don't have the option of sending it back to USFA for grip fitting and re-finish.

After-Market grips (one piece) are "built up."  Three pieces are involved, right and left grip panels and a center spacer.  After fitting the grip panels and the spacer to the frame, everything is glued together, than disassembled, final sanded and finished.

Start with a Google search of Grip makers.  Find someone whose stuff you like and start correspondence.  Best of Luck.

Coffinmaker

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 11:09:16 PM »
Mossyrock,
There area a number of grip manufacturers out there who make custom SAA grips.  Do a bit of research and find the one that best suits your needs.  One thing…  just be sure to let them know that you are looking for grips for a USFA.  USFA frames are slightly larger than Colt frames.  You will, in most cases, be required to send in your two part grip frame (backstrap & trigger guard) for proper fitting.  Should they affix these to a Colt frame when fitting, the grips will not fit properly on your USFA.  Most grip makers realize that the USFA grip frames fit properly to a standard Uberti frame.
CJF   
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:56:18 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 04:29:26 PM »
I almost forgot.  Uberti unfinished blanks (oversize) can be fit to USAF Grip Frames.  Shaping is a lot of work however.

Coffinmaker

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 05:33:55 PM »
VTI has both finished and unfinished grip, will fit USFA

Here are samples of both

(USPFA = Uberti )  USFA  continued to use the CNC same programs when they went partly,  then all USA made parts

Asked and they will hand pick for some figure
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 07:43:46 PM »
Interesting.....  I have three different sets of Uberti SAA grips on hand, and none of them fit.  But, they have all been fit to other guns.
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 06:31:59 AM »
But, they have all been fit to other guns;)

and there you go  :)

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline GaryG

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 07:03:30 AM »
If you're willing to send your gun out, from what I've seen, Outlaw Grips (I think they're now called Classic Single Actions) does superb job.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 05:21:36 PM »
+1 on Outlaw, now Classic Single Action, grips.  They are down in Tucson, Arizona.  If you want a proper fit there is no such thing as a pre-fit grip for a Colt style single action.  As noted, the grips are fit and the frame and grips ground as a unit.  One fitted the grips will never fit another SAA properly.

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 06:02:24 PM »
I use Old Trading Post.  They have a custom grip maker that does the work.  Beautiful.  I had to send him my grip frames.  I have Uberti's with one piece grips.  One has a steel frame and one has a brass frame.  These frames have radical differences in them. good luck.

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 07:41:15 PM »
I use Old Trading Post.  They have a custom grip maker that does the work.  Beautiful.  I had to send him my grip frames.  I have Uberti's with one piece grips.  One has a steel frame and one has a brass frame.  These frames have radical differences in them. good luck.

Do you have a link?
Mossyrock

Lone Watie

Offline Don Kenna

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 08:16:50 PM »
I'll second both GaryG and Pettifogger.  Joe Perkins of Classic Single Actions does a superb job.  I should mention, though, that he is temporarily "out of commission" with a shoulder injury, but should be back in action with the new year (last I heard).  Lots of different wood choices, reasonable prices, and Joe will work with you on your choice of wood and grip shape.  Significantly, he WILL NOT grind the grip wood flush with the grip frame and then charge you for rebluing the latter.  Some other custom grip makers do that, but I certainly don't want anyone grinding on the metal of one of my valuable revolvers.  I highly recommend his work.

http://www.classicsingleaction.com/

Another gunsmith who makes very nice grips is Tom Sargis of Bozeman Trail Arms.  Tom is primarily a gunsmith, and grips are something of a sideline for him.  He limits his work to one-piece grips of walnut or rosewood.  I've been very satisfied with his work as well.

http://www.bozemantrailarms.com/grips.html

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2016, 09:40:05 AM »
Tom has done work for me before.  Strange how I didn't think of him for this....
Mossyrock

Lone Watie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com