Author Topic: Remington Rolling Block "Black Hills Rifle"  (Read 4714 times)

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Remington Rolling Block "Black Hills Rifle"
« on: October 14, 2016, 04:48:32 PM »
I would like information on the Remington "Black Hills Rifle" partically the cartridge advertised for it the 45 cal 60 grains as advertised in this copy.
Is it the same as the Winchester cartridge or is it a different cartridge and in fact a .443+ projectile.

Or is it a standed 45-70 case loaded with 60 gains? then what projectile did it use?
Buffalochip

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Remington Rolling Block "Black Hills Rifle"
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 04:40:36 PM »
Most likely the standard 45-60 Winchester cartridge.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 02:34:19 AM »
Thanks, got the info I was looking for, it is a very rare cartridge. Only a few guns known. Case is 1.751 overall length.
Buffalochip

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:35:28 AM »

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 07:26:26 PM »
Mike I know this is a bit old , but still interesting . Have you found more info on the Black hills rifle ?  Was going through the old Rolling block posts as of late . Starting a new project / build of a proper hunting  rolling block . Thinking about a 50/70 Government , heavy oct. barrel and sporter stocks . Hope you still have the Black hills rifle and some news about it . ,,,DT

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 910
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 10:10:40 AM »
My book on Rolling Blocks says the Black Hills Rifle was chambered for the 45-60 Remington bottle-necked centerfire cartridge.

Dave

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 07:41:30 PM »
The Remington Rolling Block Firearms by Konrad F. Schreier, jr book that I have indicates in the intro text, the following:  In the chapter on The No.1 Sporting Rifle it states '.....the .45-70 "Black Hills Rifle"', all of which were No.1 Sporting Rifle models introduced in the 1870's.

The advertisement as the OP listed is also present in this chapter and it states 'This Rifle is only made for 45 calibre, 60 grain, center fire, ...

Now this is confusing because the intro could be interpreted as that the rifle handles the standard 45-70 casing.  But then the original ad could mean the 45-70 casing should only be filled with 60 grains or that the rifle is chambered for the Remington preprioritory 45 Danish casing which is a 45-60 (see link below).  The 45 Danish was created inorder to sell rifles to foreign governments thereby by-passing the ruling of not selling Govts controlled cartridges to enemy governments.  Two enemies using the same ammunition.

https://www.loaddata.com/Cartridge/117x51Rmm-Danish-Remington/7095

I have a Danish that was re-chambered to 45-70 but the bore is 0.456, the same as the Win 76 45-60 diameter and bullet size.

Without seeing an original 28 round barreled RR Sporter and making measurements I think everything is just a guess.
Black River Smith

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 05:20:40 AM »
The 45-60 wcf does have a slight  (very slight) bottle neck , but the .443 bullet dia. posted by Mike brings up question . Sure Mike will drop in and say what he has found soon. I looked through my Cartridges of the world book for something 45-60 Remington and came up with nothing . ,,,,,DT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com