Author Topic: Bacon Fat - Wad Loob?  (Read 4324 times)

Offline Cemetery

• Top Active Citizen
    • Cemetery's Gun Blob
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bacon Fat - Wad Loob?
« on: October 02, 2016, 12:12:10 PM »
So I recently got some Circle Fly 12g Fiber Wads, which showed up at my door dry, as in loob free.

Also got a few pound of tasty bacon from a butcher shop.

Anyway, lots of bacon fat in my pan after cooking up a few slices, so I thought about possibly using it to loob up a few wads.

But the salt, and would said fat go bad?

Dealing with the salt, would that be fixed by soaking the bacon in water for a spell?

Also, would the fat go bad?

After reading some cooking pages, soaking the bacon helps, but doesn't remove all of the salt.

And regarding the fat, these same cooking pages talk about simply straining the fat into a container, and your done and done to use for future cooking.  But does the fat go bad?

Thoughts?

God forgives, I don't........

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 420
Re: Bacon Fat - Wad Loob?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 12:37:55 PM »
Rancid is the word

adjective
having a rank, unpleasant, stale smell or taste, as through decomposition, especially of fats or oils:
rancid butter.
(of an odor or taste) rank, unpleasant, and stale:
a rancid smell.
offensive or nasty; disagreeable.

I have no clinical evidence,  but with the mold & offensive odor,  I'm of to opinion most today would deem it bad.  :-\

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Cemetery

• Top Active Citizen
    • Cemetery's Gun Blob
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 12:44:24 PM »
Rancid is what I was thinking as well.

Not sure what people do to it to keep it fresh for cooking.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:42:30 AM »

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 01:03:01 PM »
I at times would save it for future cooking, draining it into a wide mouth glass pint canning jar after it cooled, but was still in liquid form, then putting it in the 'fridge'. It will stay useable for awhile. Most of the time after a while I'd toss it when it got so old as it wasn't used a great deal and there always seemed to be an ample supply coming. One time, somehow the pint glass jar ended up under the sink along with various other odds and ends that end up there. It turned pretty bad--"rancid" is the operative word. Nasty stuff!
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 02:38:36 PM »
Side pork isn't cured with salt.  Use some of the renderings from it.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 09:13:09 AM »
Just go to the grocery store and there will be a stack of one pound bricks of LARD with the only additive being some preservative. Use the bacon fat for greasing the fry pan. A pound of lard goes for about a buck.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 09:27:46 AM »
I don't actually have a definitive answer in this case.  I do keep a special "pot" of bacon grease in the fridge as a cooking aide.  Since I'm always taking from and adding to, I've never considered whether it would go bad.  I do know, that what is in the "bottom" of the Pot has been there several years and too date has not attempted to crawl out and attack me.

As far as a "loob" goes.  Meh.  When warm, gets runny.  Not something you could use for long term loaded cartridges as your "grease cookie" (I don't like those anyway), twould contaminate the powder.

I don't see why you couldn't use it for a lubed over powder wad under the ball in a percussion gun.  However, your gonna make the whole posse HUNGRY.  Caution is suggested.

Coffinmaker

Offline Cemetery

• Top Active Citizen
    • Cemetery's Gun Blob
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 09:41:13 AM »
Well, I read online that it takes a few hours to get the crap out of bacon fat.

Simmering it in a pot of water for an hour draws the crap in the fat to the bottom, repeat this two more times.  And in the end, it's only good for a few months.

Cheaper and easier to get cheap cooking oil for loobing wads, which is what I used for my '60s, just have to be careful not to over saturate.

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 10:42:45 AM »
I have used 50/50 lard & beeswax for my revolver wad lube. Since my brother has shot a couple of nice fat deer I'm using 50/50 deer tallow & beeswax for my luber/sizer bullet lube & revolver wad lube. It is a fairly stiff lube and works well for all my BP cartridge bullets. I think the salt in the bacon fat is going to be a corrosion problem in loaded ammo,  maybe not a problem for over ball revolver lube or wad lube that will be shot out fairly quickly.

I remember a CAS shooter that used butter over the ball, cream of wheat as a filler above the black powder. His comment was "Every time I touch this thing off I can smell breakfast cooking". I assumed he liked rotten eggs. ;D
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Cemetery

• Top Active Citizen
    • Cemetery's Gun Blob
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 11:11:19 AM »
I think the salt in the bacon fat is going to be a corrosion problem in loaded ammo,  maybe not a problem for over ball revolver lube or wad lube that will be shot out fairly quickly.

I used bacon fat on wads last year, made me have to clean guns sooner because of the salt.  Probably not too much salt to be concerned with from 5 stages, but I'd rather not have a reason to clean guns right away.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com