Author Topic: AR Platforms not exactly Old West But  (Read 24352 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: AR Platforms not exactly Old West But
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2016, 04:12:39 PM »
.... and why the AR 15 is "America's Rifle"! Now the trick is for all of us to hang onto them while those who would be King decry them as instruments of the devil while they enjoy 24/7 armed protection at tax payer's expense.

The rcmp recently acquired more AR 15's, described as "patrol carbines". In civilian hands they become "assault rifles".
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2016, 04:14:00 PM »
"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine."

And remember, your AR was invented by a United States Marine!!!!

Ooo Rah!
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2016, 04:36:06 PM »

The FAL can be converted to FA by replacing the change lever to the 3 position switch. There is also a 3 shot burst escapement for the type. That puts it on the no-no list.

Well yes Sir,-if it's got a safety sear. What about a non sear cut receiver? That's what it takes for them to be legal without a licence in the US.

I have both a Commonwealth/inch version as well as a metric.  I'd have a Canadian version but the Canadian Govt permanently took care of most of those wonderful Long Branch C1s, so the parts are prohibitively expensive when you find them.  I feel badly for you not to own your service weapon. I still have a few kits to build some more metrics and if I still have them and you ever become a US citizen, look me up and I'll you just go ahead and give you one.

Here's my Inch Pattern up in the New England mountains. It's a British 1958 Enfield that I built it on a US made non sear cut upper receiver.

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 08:49:37 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2016, 05:03:28 PM »

I think that is some of the most beautiful praise I have ever read about about Gene's rifle!

actually thanks , the line was coined by me..... and I agree about Stoner
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2016, 06:02:20 PM »
Ah, yes, the SLR (Self Loading Rifle) as my Brit buddies called theirs. Minus the clip loading slots ours had but with those ugly cross-hatched bolt carriers.
My ex was once a registrar of firearms for the rcmp. When she got the job, I gave her the current issue of "Small Arms of the World" and she actually used it! A pair of rcmp types were lamenting that a couplke of drug dealers managed to ditch their dope before they stopped their vehicle, but they did find some gun parts they couldn't identify.

She opened up her SAOTW and showed them what they were - the three rd burst units for the FAL! She got an "Atta Girl" from them and charges were laid.

Here's my Inch Pattern up in the New England mountains. It's a British 1958 Enfield that I built it on a US made non sear cut upper receiver.

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2016, 06:58:35 PM »

Yes, those English have some good ones. When they spoke of the SLR to me in the years after it's demise, some of them would get a tear in their eye-they obviously really loved that rifle! I never had the heart to tell them I had one, seeing how, unlike Canada and the US, they basically can't even own guns in England.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2016, 07:04:10 PM »
Howdy
Who's getting an AR for Christmas ? Poor Santa is going to have a sled full of AR's . Merry Christmas everyone .

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2016, 03:51:56 PM »
My wife and I already have ours (S&W 'Sport' models - no FA and no ejection port cover), plus CMMG .22 LR conversion units. I really recommend these as they offer great plinking and small game hunting versatility.

However, you have to use quality ammo and clean well afterwards. The locking lug area gets rather filthy after a few hundred rds. CCI offers .22 ammo rated for "AR 15 type rifles". Bought some but haven't tried it yet.

At our last IDPA practice of the year on Friday, we had a 9mm Kel-Tec and an AR 9mm show up. Great fun on our heated indoor range!

First practice next year I'll show up with my AR 15 c/w .22 conversion unit and red dot sight. I'm sure everyone will have fun with it.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2016, 09:06:29 PM »
PJ
Sounds like Santa came early . The 22 conversions sounds like lots of Fun . I had a 22 conversion for a gold cup sure was fun to shoot and those 22 were a lot easier on the wallett than the 45 acp .

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2016, 01:30:30 PM »
We've had both the AR15s and the conversion units for a while now. Cheaper way to just have fun with them, especially indoors where we can't shoot 5.56mm.

For  a combo Xmas/anniversary present, I just bought myself a S&W M19 2-1/2" snubby. If you can believe it, my wife forgot our anniversary! I'm soooo glad it wasn't the reverse. I bought her a 'Muddy Girl' hoody to go along with all her other 'Muddy Girl' stuff, including her black Corolla seats covers and AR15.

She had already bought herself a $4000 sewing machine (cleared out at a mere $2400), so that took care of her anniversary and Xmas presents in one fell swoop.

The snubby M19 is a companion piece for the S&W M66 2-1/2" I already have. The ideal CCW, IMHO. If I could legally pack a gun, this would be my first choice.

On this side of the DMZ, if you didn't own a handgun with a 4" or shorter barrel before 1995, you never will. They are now "prohibited", not "restricted" like handguns with 4.2" barrels or longer. Makes the world a safer place, right?

Those of us who did are "grandfathered" and can only buy and sell amongst ourselves. About 250,000 of us left.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2017, 03:03:25 PM »
Howdy
How well does the 22 conversions work in the ar . And what conversion is the best ?

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2017, 08:08:27 PM »
I have a Chiappa M22 and have added the upper to a Mil spec lower, the other picture is the other AR15 in the stable, Colt and two Bushmasters.
Lots of fun, but my levers are my favorites  ;D
Buffalochip

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2017, 03:55:18 PM »
Howdy
How well does the 22 conversions work in the ar . And what conversion is the best ?

My wife and I have the CMMMG units and we are quite happy with them. But, you have to use good ammo. Avoid the dirty stuff.
I bought some CCI ammo supposedly formulated for the AR15s and I think it's crap. I had several weak rds which resulted in failures to feed.
They changed the ogive of the bullet  to make it feed better, but it's not up to the quality we've come to expect from CCI ammo.

You have to clean the gas tube as well as the locking lug area, both of which get gas blasted.

I have a red dot on my AR15 which I have to adjust when I switch calibres from .22LR to .223. Solution - buy another red dot unit and use quick release mounts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com