Author Topic: Beautiful Handguns?  (Read 9078 times)

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Beautiful Handguns?
« on: September 24, 2016, 12:44:38 AM »
Greetings All,
As you are here, I would imagine that you feel that the basic Colt SAA army model probably is, to your mind, one of the most eye appealing handguns ever manufactured (me too).  If so, your opinion is well deserved!  With it's five basic moving parts it truly is a wonder of firearms technology.  But when it come to pure eye appeal, what are your other preferences?  Apart from the Model P 1873 Colt, what other revolver (or, for that matter, any other handgun) do you simply love the looks of?  For me…
#1:  The 1851 Colt Navy Revolver.  Long, sleek and elegant. Hard to deny the beauty of the '51 Navy.
#2:  John Browning's 1911 semi auto.  Clean lines, simple, and functional.  Probably the most popular, most emulated handgun ever designed.
USAF manufactured all three of these models throughout their short-lived existance.  What other models/designs do you really love the looks of?
CJF  

You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Most Beautiful Handgun?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 08:09:43 AM »
Personally, my all-time favorite is the 1875 Remington (full length barrel). There's just something about how they look. Very elegant and distinctive looking, and (in my experience with the repro's) they shoot as good as they look.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 12:36:39 PM »
I think the most elegant looking handgun of all time is the S&W second model American / first  model Russian with 8" barrels.

Next would be the three screw version of the 1860 Colt, also in the 8'" barrel configuration.

Last (arguably the most ridiculous hand gun, but absolutely beautiful) is the Whitney Wolverine .22 semi-auto.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

Re: Beautiful Handguns?
« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:05:18 PM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 01:48:11 PM »
I had to look up the Whitney Wolverine ...very cool looking. I had Space gun, water pistol that had those lines

My all time # 1 choice is the 1860 Army , a nod to the 61 Navy and 51 as well

then I like the Merwin & Hulbert open top with Skull Crusher grip and the #3 New Model S&W

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 03:10:53 PM »
Nice selections, all. As my favorite most beautiful will always be a Cavalry SAA, I'll have to list my next choices there after.

First would be a first model Richards. Second I agree with Forty Rod on the S&W American/Old Old Russian. Third are the Colt Cap and ball series, 1860, 1851 etc. Fourth would be the Remington series, 1875, 1890 and 1858. Fifth would be the open top square but Merwin, never could get the feel of the skull crusher grip.

I count the autos in there own grouping, with the 1911 and the 1903 Colts on the top of my list, followed by the Luger and the Broomhandle Mauser. But that Whitney is interesting, hmmm.

Double actions  are the 1878 Colt, the 1898 Colt New Service and the S&W Hand Ejector series.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 12:56:59 AM »
Let me add another two to my list.

1:  The Walther PPK.  Popularized by the James Bond movies, this sleek, concealable little gun has, to my mind, great eye appeal.  Clean, classic lines.  And yet…  whenever I talk to someone who tells me that the only gun they own is a PPK I know that the only thing they have that comes close to real world experience came from watching Sean Connery in those movies.  I have one (actually made by Walther in Germany) that I inherited from a close friend who passed away 11 years ago.  I know, in my heart of hearts, that the only reason he bought it was because of those movies.

2:  Henry Deringer's .41 caliber pocket pistol.  Best known as the gun that killed President Lincoln, these elegant little guns were, in their time, the epitome of firearms manufacturing craftsmanship.  Back in the day they were only sold in pairs.  If you wanted one, you had to buy the set of two.  
I have a set of reproductions, manufactured by Uberti, that were offered by the now defunct U.S. Historical Society back in 1979/1980.  They sent an original  Henry Deringer pistol off to Uberti who then reproduced exact copies of the origin. The closest thing you can get to it today are the Davide Pedersoli reproductions but they are pricey!  Around $400+ for one of their .45 caliber reproduction.  Lots of money for a very small gun!  Nice, but nowhere near as nice, or historically accurate, as the U.S. Historical Society reproductions.

Photo No. 1 is of the US Historical Society set (Uberti) issued back some 35+ years ago.
Photo No. 2 Is the Davide Pedersoli Deringer that is currently available (thought somewhat pricey*).

*"Though somewhat pricey:" I do have a Pedersoli Deringer that I purchased and made a presentation case for.  Used an old cigar box, cut out inserts to accommodate the Deringer, plus "antique style" screwdriver & nipple wrench (purchased from Dixie Gun Works), lined it all with green felt and natural wood finish.  A very pretty little gun and display piece but nowhere near as nice as the US Historical Society offering.

Offline G Bulldog Grainisland III

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 02:51:16 AM »
My 2 cents worth would be:

Colt 1911
Walther PPK
Walker Colt

as already mentioned, plus:

Bren Ten

-Bulldog

Offline hanover67

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 10:48:05 PM »
I think the most elegant looking handgun is the Colt Army Special 6" barrel, followed by any Colt fitted with a King Super Target Rib, either single or double action. Then, of course is the Colt SAA with a 4 3/4" barrel.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 07:40:03 PM »
I dunno guys.  My ALL TIME favorite is actually a "never never" built by ASM.  The ASM 1st Model Richards, which was by frame and cylinder design an 1861 (Colt didn't do an 1861 1st Model Richards) has got to be pure sex in steel.  Flowing lines, perfect proportion,
points like an extension of your hand, just gorgeous.  Almost as reliable as a Hugo.  What a shame.  Gorgeous gun.

Coffinmaker

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 09:19:40 PM »
Hanover67,
Never gave it much thought before but you are right, the Colt Army Special, with the 6" barrel, is an attractive handgun.  Models with the shorter barrels?  Not so much.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
CJF

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 10:57:30 PM »
And a nod to Pathfinder, who brought up the Luger P09.  Another truly elegant looking handgun!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com