Author Topic: Help Please! USFA Gold revolver set, consecutive SNs; unfired. Value/history??  (Read 4226 times)

Offline Asandcolored45

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi All,

I am looking for information on a set of 2 unfired, consecutive serial number, gold USFA single action revolvers in a wooden display case with blue velvet interior. Any information would be greatly appreciated, and if I'm in the wrong place feel free to direct me to another forum or resource. I'm interested in learning history, original pricing, current value, etc.  I was directed here by some online friends from another forum who explained that a gentleman named Gary G. and other former USFA  workers would be available here and were the most knowledgable available.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Here is a link with a couple of photos of these beauties:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s58.photobucket.com/user/Blackrifle34/embed/slideshow/Mobile%20Uploads"></iframe>

Thanks Guys and Gals, shoot straight!

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Welcome to our forum!
This is the place to be.  "Gary G" is none other than Gary Granger, one-time sales manager for USFA and a wealth of knowledge!
Personally, I am unfamiliar with the guns you refer to.  They are most likely a one of a kind set.  One of the great things about USFA, back when they were in their prime, was that  you could order just about anything you wanted and they would do their best to accommodate you.  These guns would obviously have been a custom ordered set.
From the looks of the pictures I would guess (and it is just a guess) that they are "US" made.  I am going by the shape of the cylinder flutes, which differed in shape from the Italian import cylinder flutes, but pictures can be deceiving and I could be wrong.  Can you provide more information?  Serial numbers would help.  Also, shape of the firing pins, either conical or concave.  Majority of the import/parts guns have the concave firing pin - majority of the US made guns have the conical pin.  Hopefully "Gary G" will chime in here and give you some more definitive information.  
Things have been a little slow of late here on the forum so keep checking back with us.  It may take a few days.
Again, welcome to the forum.
CJF (forum moderator)  
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Asandcolored45

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Thanks CJF!  Seems like a great place here, even greater since it's the place I had been looking for all along.

I uploaded a few more pictures to answer your questions about the serial numbers, firing pin, and cylinder flutes.  Hopefully these will assist in figuring out more information on this pair.  Conical firing pin, serial #s K521 and K522.  Here is the link to the pictures.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s58.photobucket.com/user/Blackrifle34/embed/slideshow/Mobile%20Uploads"></iframe>

Thanks for the assistance and information!

Advertising

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Asandcolored45,
Here is a link to a topic on our forum that may be of use to  you.  Pay particular attention to the photos of the ejector rod housing.  If your guns have the "shallow" ramp, they are Italian.  If they have the longer ramp then your guns most likely have the all US made barrels, cylinders & frames.  The conical firing pins you pictured are a good sign.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,57348.0.html

You might try searching through our forum and finding a response from "Gary G."  Should you PM him I am sure that he would reply.
Again, glad that you found us here.  Please keep us updated as to any further information you might uncover regarding your revolvers.
CJF

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Asandcolored45,
I have been doing a bit more research and now suspect that your "K" serial numbered guns started out as matte blue Rodeo revolvers (refer to the various "serial number" topics here on this forum).  Should this be true, someone has taken a pair of consecutively numbered Rodeos and had them gold plated.  Also, the grips don't look like anything that I have ever seen coming out of USFA, who pretty much exclusively used walnut, and premium grade walnut, for their wooden grips.
I am fairly confident in stating that the gold plated pair that you have did not leave the factory in that configuration and that the gold plating and grips are "aftermarket" additions done by a previous owner.
So… what are they worth?  First off, nowhere near what they would be if USFA had finished them as such.  As they are, with a custom fitted presentation case, I would place them somewhere in the +- 2k range, providing, of course, that you can find someone interested in the gold plating which, to many, may seem a bit gaudy.  Still, all in all, a beautiful set.  Many, many Rodeo SAA's found themselves being refinished by owners who recognized the value of the Rodeo revolvers and wanted to upgrade them with custom refinishing.
CJF

PS:  Sorry that others haven't jumped in here but, as I said, things have been a little slow of late here on the forum.

Offline Grogan

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #3584
    • Grogan's Photo Albums
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
What I see that is perhaps of interest to the Serial Number range and whether it falls within the range of Rodeos is that all the Rodeos I've seen have their serial number stamped in ONLY ONE place, at the lower front of the revolver Frame.

While the "Standard" or higher grade SAAs have their Serial NumberS stamped in 3 places; at the front underside of the frame, then again just behind that on the Front Strap, as well as on the under side of the Back Strap behind the screw that attaches the Back Strap to the Front Strap.

Looking at the photos I can see 2 Serial Numbers, close together, as they appear on the higher grade USFA SAAs, so this may be an indication that it's not a refinished Rodeo model.

Those Stocks appear to be Black Buffalo Horn.

Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

Frontiersman: The only category where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s. -Canada Bill

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
The "K" series serial number would indicate that these guns were part of the "Rodeo" series.  As for the placement, and number of serial numbers, when USFA started out they replicated Colt's original practice of stamping the serial numbers in three places.  Toward the end, and the Rodeo "K" series certainly fits into this category, USFA went from three, to two, to one serial number placements on their guns.  Why?  It was simply more cost efficient, as these numbers were stamped by hand, to only stamp the number one time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com