Author Topic: How soft an alloy can I cast 200gr 45LC for low power CAS?  (Read 5254 times)

Offline Steel Striker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Weewahootee Vigilence Committee, FL
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How soft an alloy can I cast 200gr 45LC for low power CAS?
« on: September 17, 2016, 10:21:11 PM »
Greetings Pards;
My CWW cache is getting low.  I'd like to stretch my supply by adding lead [fishing downrigger balls, & stick-on wheel weights] to the alloy.   I have no other use for this lead.   

I'm casting with a LEE #90697, 6 cavity mold, Xlox tumble lube'g & 5.0gr Trailboss in annealed cases.

How "soft" have you gone without leading, etc.   Thanks again.
New to CAS, SASS #100144.  Obtained: Marlin 1894CB; New Vaquero's in .45LC; Win 1897 12ga cut to 20".  Looking to pick old brains.  Designed/built my very own dbl. CAS rig.  Putting a Dillon 550B to good use for my .45-70, .45LC., .44Mag, .45ACP, .38  I alloy lead & cast my own. 

Tent repairs & ammo belts, a hobby Blacksmith, woodworker & Boy Scout Ldr. & Lead Scrounger.

Offline Blackfoot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: How soft an alloy can I cast 200gr 45LC for low power CAS?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 08:10:16 AM »
Should be fine at 12 to 14 Brin.  Don't know exactly what speed you are trying to obtain but for cowboy loads there is no need for "hard cast" in the range of 18 or 20.

Blackfo

Offline mehavey

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 07:25:35 PM »
You can go all the way down to pure lead as long as the cylinder throats are groove diameter or even slightly larger.
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-40405.html

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:51:42 AM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 09:51:58 PM »
Contrary to common belief, softer alloys leave much less lead in the bore than the hardstuff.

There is a table around somewhere giving the usual hardness of miscelaneous lead. If I recall, wheel weights are about a hardness of 10, and they work very well at pistol/carbine speeds, at least for me. stick-ons are a bit softer, but seem to act about the same for pistol loads. Most sinkers are made of the cheapest available material, which I would suspect would be mainly wheel weights.

I don't have a hardness tester, but this is a time when it would come in handy!

To answer the question melt it up, pour it into the moulds and enjoy the experience. The only downsize that I can think of is that softer alloys sometimes have trouble filling out a mould, but heating up the pot a bit can counter that issue.

The big caution is to avoid battery lead, but I think you already know that as you did not mention it.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline mehavey

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 06:03:14 AM »
Actual calc'ns against actual test data.
NOTE that a lot of the "internet" numbers are flat wrong wrong, but nevertheless passed on "as reported in the New York Times"   ::)

BTW:  I am shooting NOTHING harder than 30:1 out of the standard velocity 45 Colts, 44-40s, and 45 Schofields -- both revolver and rifle -- and the bores are spotless.

BTW2:  You have GOT to have cylinder throats that match/slightly exceed the groove diameter

Offline Steel Striker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Weewahootee Vigilence Committee, FL
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 02:22:41 PM »
MEHAVEY:  Thanks much for this info.  I had not seen this graph before.  Presents a usable perspective on some alloying.

When you stated using "...nothing harder than 30:1...", I take that to mean you are alloying 30 parts of "pure" lead with 1 part Tin.  Is this correct?  Further, you are not using wheel weights, correct?

From your experience then, I'll be alloying 30:1 Lead:Tin for my 45LC pills.  That will help me conserve the CWW's cache for more powerful loads.

Thanks again for helping make this such an awesome site...hope I can add to this reputation some time.
New to CAS, SASS #100144.  Obtained: Marlin 1894CB; New Vaquero's in .45LC; Win 1897 12ga cut to 20".  Looking to pick old brains.  Designed/built my very own dbl. CAS rig.  Putting a Dillon 550B to good use for my .45-70, .45LC., .44Mag, .45ACP, .38  I alloy lead & cast my own. 

Tent repairs & ammo belts, a hobby Blacksmith, woodworker & Boy Scout Ldr. & Lead Scrounger.

Offline mehavey

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 03:44:08 PM »
I get both the 30:1 and Lyman#2 from the RotoMetals Foundry -- deliberately so as to know the exact alloy.

I've shot wheelweights till the cows come home/forever -- but because their alloy is a bit unknown, I let them sit for a long time to "settle out/soften up"   My impatience at that point... well... that's why I get RoteMetal.  ;)

I AM deliberately shooting plain base that can rise to "+"P with 30:1.
Somewhere therein I transition to PlainBase Lyman#2 for everything short of true 24-25,000 psi, and gas-checked # 2 when getting way up there.  Never needed anything more.

WORST thing folks can do is shoot an overly hard bullet/undersized to the bore (which can innocently happen when the cylinder throats aren't matched to groove size)

Even then, a SOFT bullet can "bump up" to fit the grooves and get you outta trouble.  
But HARD bullet that stays undersized to rattle down the barrel is a killer.  :P

Offline Hans Christian

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 06:49:35 AM »
As Mehavey has attested to, you can go quite  soft with a proper sized bullet.  For convenience, my normal pistol alloy is 1% tin, 2% antimony and 97% lead. BHN is in the 10 range which is acceptable for light 45 Colts up to hot 38 Special which covers what I load currently.

At first blush, I was going to suggest mixing your COWW 50/50 with soft. In reality, you can go much softer than that.

You may find some of those weights have some antimony in them. Have you checked them for hardness?

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 08:22:04 AM »
Pure lead is what I have been using  in my .45 Colts rifle and revolver with a 200 grain Big Lube Bullet for the past year. Occasionally I do get a couple of specks of lead  when cleaning the rifle barrel, but nothing in the revolvers (Uberti) , and certainly nothing to get excited about. I use this bullet with both gun powder and nitro powder loads CAS velocities which are quite mild.
Yesterday casting with 1:30 alloy I found the bullets filed out better and came out of the mold easier that straight lead. 1:30 is the way I will continue to cast my CAS bullets, that little bit of tin seems to make the cavities fill out much better.
 Some of our shooters use straight wheel weights which work OK, but with heavier loads tend to ding the cold rolled steel targets.
Wheel weights are much cheaper, but some of them are steel which makes a mess and some are zinc. and a lead/zinc alloy is worthless for making bullets for some reason it just will not fill the cavity.
But lead or 1:30  is what works for me YMMV
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com