Author Topic: Revolver Ammo Pouches  (Read 13267 times)

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Revolver Ammo Pouches
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2016, 12:47:10 PM »
My replies to the OP were based on the heading of this forum, "CAS City Historical Society".
I know the OP was not looking  for "Historical" documentation, however, I chose to reply with the documentation I had on this subject.
I do not recall the exact place I obtained this info. but there are two sets of books that I would highly suggest, each are or were three volume set,
Randy Steffen's, "The Horse Soldier 1776 - 1943" and  F. Todd's, "American Military Equipage, 1851-1872".
Both offer great references as well to the Military archives but excellent line art drawings based off of original objects. I do not know if either of these are still in print.
I hope this helps address my intention in my reply.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2016, 06:20:06 PM »
Again, gents, many options here and more than a little entertaining.   Actually I think it's a great discussion.   I've enjoyed hearing both the "historical" responses and the "this is what I do" responses. 

Shooting tin cans (what someone here called "The Campbells Gang") is my favorite form of shooting. I can vary between a form of precision shooting and fast shooting at will, with positive reinforcement when I make a hit.  For most .44 and .45 revolvers, I use cartridge loops to hold the spare ammo, although I sometimes get lazy and just put the plastic ammo box on the ground if I'm not walking around. For my .45-70 rifles, I wear another cartridge belt backwards (so the loops are in the front) above my pistol belt. I have some old photos to support the historical validity of that, but I'm usually just on my home range anyway. For my Spencer, I use a Blakeslee box, which I find to be really convenient. 

For my smaller revolvers, I'm kind of stuck, hence the original question. I prefer a somewhat historical method, but I only have to satisfy myself. As I said,  I didn't know which forum to use and just picked this one. I'm going to buy a CW cap pouch (with no US embossing) and try it out. At this point, it will be mainly for my .44 Colt RM conversion and I think that's appropriate. That way, if I DO wear it out in public or to an NCOWS match or something, maybe I'll fit in.

Thanks again,  fellas.  I have really appreciated all of the comments.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Malamute

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2016, 01:32:05 AM »
 Sorry I'm late to the party.

I have a cap pouch copy, it holds about 18-20 45 Colts I think. Its sort of handy to carry some spares around, but doesn't seem very handy to actually load out of. Belts or pockets seem more so. Vest pockets don't seem very friendly to my hands though.

Ive used deerskin bags of various sizes, drawstring types, with and without beadwork, and have used canvas bags with deerskin strings attached to tie them closed. both are handy for loaded and empty shells. A shoulder bag is perhaps more generally useful for anything more than a few rounds. I eye my bag I used for my caplock rifle now and then, thinking it would make a decent cartridge rifle hunting bag.

For pure handiness, Ive been thinking of using the shotgun shell belt bag, the modern style for shotgun sports. My dad had a nice soft leather one with two compartments. I think it would be real handy for shooting and segregating loaded and empty pistol and rifle shells, just as used for shotgun shells. Another semi-modern option that would probably pass for older style is the shell bags by Duluth Pack and Frost River. The 50 size (sized by how many shotgun shells theyd hold) seems like a decent size without getting too large or cumbersome.

Rather than plastic boxes, I usually prefer quart size freezer grade Ziploc bags for loaded and empty shells.

Been looking for pictures of my deerskin cartridge bag but have not succeeded.

I believe this is a size 50 type shell bag from Duluth Pack,

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:44:04 AM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2017, 06:25:49 PM »
By way of update (as well as raising an old post back to life ala Dr. Frankenstein), I ended up purchasing a cheap cap pouch through Ebay.  I removed the poorly attached lamb skin that was inside.  The pouch seems sturdy enough and I've found that I can loosely dump 15 rounds of 44 Colt inside and close the flap.  That allows me to have three releads available before I need to pick up the ammo box again.  Then, I just dump 15 rounds from the box into my hand and pour them into the pouch.  It's easy to grab the ammo from the pouch and I don't even fasten the flap most of the time.  (The only time that's been an issue is when I drop a loaded round on the ground and bend down to pick it up.  Then, if the flap is open and the pouch is full, more tend to fall out, creating a comic opera scene that makes me glad my personal range is private and no one is watching.)

Again, this is just something I'm using at my home range for plinking, but if I was heading out into the field, a loaded revolver and three complete reloads might be just about right.

Thanks again for the above comments and suggestions!

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com