Author Topic: Revolver Ammo Pouches  (Read 13265 times)

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
Revolver Ammo Pouches
« on: September 12, 2016, 06:56:15 PM »
I’m not at all sure where this topic belongs; maybe this belongs over in the barracks.  I’m looking for a somewhat historically correct way to hold some revolver ammo when I’m just at my home range shooting tin cans.  For some of my guns, I have a cartridge belt, but for others I usually just have the ammo in the plastic cartridge boxes I use for storage when I reload them.  I’m thinking that it would be handy to have some kind of pouch on my belt to hold part of a box of ammo that I would just refill periodically, but I don’t want to invest much.  I guess my ideal at this point would be a modified Civil War cap pouch, as used after the war for revolver cartridges.  I’ve seen a few reproductions that are a bit out of my price range, but there are reproduction cap pouches that are quite inexpensive (under $20).  I’ve never even seen a cap pouch up close, so here are my questions: Would it be reasonable for me to do a similar modification as was done for the military (cutting back the inner flap and stitching part of that flap down to provide better retention of the cartridges)?  As an alternative, would a Civil War cap pouch work as-is for holding a handful of revolver cartridges for casual shooting?

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
Re: Revolver Ammo Pouches
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 09:30:55 PM »
FYI, I don't know whether these guys are any good, but
you could use a CW cap box like this
www.ccsutlery.com/store/capbox.html

or you could use a CW pistol cartridge box like this
http://www.ccsutlery.com/store/cartridge-box-pistol.html
or this
http://www.militaryclothing.com/Civil-War-Pistol-Cartridge-Box.aspx
or
http://www.mountainstatesupply.com/Civil-War-Pistol-Cartridge-Box-Black_p_135.html

or this, made for roundballs, but it looks like a handcuff case to me
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Triple-K-Leather-Belt-Style-Bullet-Pouch-for-Black-Powder-Revolvers/740765.uts

or something more modern
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Triple-K-Box-Type-Leather-Cartridge-Holder/705113.uts?
or
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/new-military-issue-leather-military-police-belt-pouch-us?a=1875290

or you can haunt fleabay or surplus stores for leather belt pouches like I do.
or try etsy
https://www.etsy.com/market/leather_belt_pouch

or you could get a cheap piece of leather and whip up your own "old-timey-looking" pouch or drop box...
I am doing that right now, making  couple of thin leather poiches  to hold 2 or 3  "speed strips" .

yhs
prof marvel

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 11:12:46 PM »
A veritable plethora of options, professor.   Thanks!

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:57:02 AM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 09:19:25 AM »
Ever think about just using your vest's pockets?

That would've been the most common thing.

'Back in the Day' - anyone engaging in target shooting opened the cartridge box and extracted what was needed to load and shoot - then, he punched out the empties - leaving them on the ground, because no one policed up brass and reloaded.

He did this until that box was empty, or until he got bored, and didn't get dolled up with extraneous equipment.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 12:16:33 PM »
I've used the pocket method for sure, but I was looking for something that was a bit more convenient.  I'm not even striving for full authenticity here (it IS just my home range, after all).  Rarely is anyone else around and I'm just wearing my regular clothes.  I was just looking for a convenient way to carry the spare ammo and I was wondering if a reproduction cap box/pouch would work, not having seen one up close before.  Here's what I'm currently looking at http://www.ebay.com/itm/291204107572?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT.  I'll probably spend the money and see how it goes.

Thanks for the suggestions!

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 12:38:58 PM »
CC Griff,

The Civil War period cap pouch is just fine for spare revolver ammo.
The US Army, after the ACW, used them for this reason for a number of years after the war. Thousands of surplus cap pouches were available and this was how the Army used them up.
My suggestion would be to stay away from those embossed with the US, or CS on the front flap.
I hope this helps.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 06:00:46 PM »
Disclaimer: I was taught that, when you see something on the internet, the only thing that you really know for sure is that you saw it on the internet.

From the reading I have done--on the internet--it sounds like the surplus cap pouches were often modified to remove most of the inner flap and a "US" cartouche added to create a revolver ammunition box.  It sounds like the original ACW pouches did not have the "US" embossed on the flap.  Is that why you suggest against it?  I'm way out of my element here...

Thanks.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 07:53:21 AM »
C C Griff,

Seldom were the cap pouches embossed with the US. However, you may find most will have a makers mark stamped on the outer flap.
There are two features in the Civil War Musket cap pouch that were not needed when cartridge revolver ammo was developed, the vent pick, and the inner pouch fleece flap. Both of these were commonly removed. (I take it this is the inner flap you are referring to?)

Post Civil War revolver ammo was often issued in a twelve round box. 6 went into the revolver and the other 6 went into the cap pouch. If more than one box of ammo was issued to the trooper, the unopened box went into the saddle bag or the horse shoe pouch near the pommel of the saddle, which was easier to gain access if need.
Hope this helps.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 09:56:55 AM »
It does help, Blair.  Like I said, I've only seen photos of these items, so a more complete explanation helps a great deal

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 05:56:13 AM »
I use a issue type pistol box , cut block of wood to fit and drilled 1/2" holes that allow the cartridges to stand up right ...deep enough to allow about 1/3 on the cartridge to stand proud to easy grasp....
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 10:59:05 AM »
I use a issue type pistol box , cut block of wood to fit and drilled 1/2" holes that allow the cartridges to stand up right ...deep enough to allow about 1/3 on the cartridge to stand proud to easy grasp....

From the SASS Shooters Handbook;

"Bandoleers, cartridge belts, and pouches must be of traditional design (e.g., bandoleers must
be loose and not secured in any way to prevent  movement).  Modern drop pouches, combat
style  shotgun  loops,  wrist  or  forearm  bandoleers,  and  such  are  not  allowed.    Pouches  shall
have  a  flap  and  must  carry  their  contents  loose,  with  no  special  provisions  to  organize  the
contents for rapid retrieval."  
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 03:09:49 PM »

Quote from: Major 2 on Today at 05:56:13 am

From the SASS Shooters Handbook;

"Bandoleers, cartridge belts, and pouches must be of traditional design (e.g., bandoleers must
be loose and not secured in any way to prevent  movement).  Modern drop pouches, combat
style  shotgun  loops,  wrist  or  forearm  bandoleers,  and  such  are  not  allowed.    Pouches  shall
have  a  flap  and  must  carry  their  contents  loose,  with  no  special  provisions  to  organize  the
contents for rapid retrieval."  

Can we discuss this ?

A. Below a photo of an Original ,  id est ... a "traditional design "

B. regards to the SASS hand book ...I don't shoot SASS

C. the OP asked " I’m looking for a somewhat historically correct way to hold some revolver ammo when I’m just at my home range shooting tin cans "

:)  voila   :)

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 10:20:30 AM »
Major Two; I was interupted before I got into the NCOWS Tallybook. Fact is, many here have only SASS available at playtime.

To many in SASS Traditional design means that it looks kinda-oldie.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2016, 12:50:16 PM »
To many in SASS Traditional design means that it looks kinda-oldie.

Oh Sir C!

now I have to clean the coffee off my keyboard!

Ever think about just using your vest's pockets?

St. George -
I myself actually prefer & use this method whenever possible, except when the heat becomes overpowewing!
the 4 pocket vests ( or my preference the 6 pocket vest, if they have 2 inner wallet pockets!) offer such a wide field of options!
I also prefer to keep my spare shotgun shells in my lower vest pockets, spare revolver cartridges in upper vest pockets. Some maintain it slows me down  (true) but it helps me to compete for last place!

But then there is the problem, to quote Artemis Gordon from the controversial last "Wild Wild West"
"Where would I put my notebook?"

When it gets so hot I am reduced to a huge sombrero, T-shirt and shorts I confess I succomb to a less modernisch version
of  a "framer carpenters belt" or the "Batman Utility Belt" whilst working around the yard: pouches holding  flashlight,  hammer, pliers, screwdriver, sheathknife, cellphone, revolver ... I fear that heat issues trump historicity :-(

Griff -
I see there are sellers on fleabay that offer the cap pouch even cheaper, with no embossed US or CS ....

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 01:14:09 PM »
CAS has convinced many that people in the Old West strolled about everywhere as if they were a mobile "armory" with a rifle, shotgun, two handguns and various deringers & "muff" guns.  ::)  I am sure that where the person was located and the time period dictated much of how they were armed. Wild Bill Hickok likely didn't stroll around a Kansas cowtown with powder flask, spare balls & caps on his person. I am sure he kept those safely back in his abode. Even if he did carry them it is difficult to believe that after he expended his 10 to 12 rds. that he carried on his person that he could casually reload percussion revolvers under incoming fire.

Obviously, any smart person travelling in open hostile country would have all his implements for reloading percussion guns with him. I am sure that how they carried them were as varied as the people doing so. Personally, I would have them in a small "grip" that could quickly be removed from my horse in a second's notice or even slung over my shoulder in a haversack.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2016, 01:50:42 PM »
Thanks again, fellas.  All of these comments are helpful and quite entertaining.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2016, 04:09:40 PM »
Just for the hell of it, let's go back to the original question...

The desire is to be able to carry some spare ammunition when plinking - not in competition or full dress - just carrying spare rounds.

If one goes to a more historically-correct method, then a vest would've been the solution for someone just banging away - but don't forget a standard, everyday cartridge belt.

Do either, and depending upon caliber, there's more than enough rounds easily available, and wonder of wonders - there's a holster conveniently right next to them - and 'that' hasn't been addressed, yet.

No SASS Rules - no wondering about cartridge pouch capacity or markings - no nothing, because nothing governs the activity.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2016, 02:11:09 AM »
My self when out bumming around and carrying my pistol I load 6 (Ruger) and carry an extra 12 in a little calico cloth sack a bit TR larger than a Bull Durham sack.  It's a 32 mag, bigger rounds would need a bigger sack, it even keeps dirt, chewing tobacco crumbs and the ever present Black Lab hair off them, been doing that for about 30 years and it seems to work fine. 

If I needed more ammo I'd wear bibs since with all them pockets they just be the original tactical britches.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2016, 09:50:40 AM »
Well now, since ya axed the question, I'll tell ya what I do. When I venture out shootin along my favorite shootin spots, a lot of the time in a wooded pasture with a river runnin through it, I carry spare ammo in a variety of ways. Sometimes wearing a pair of green camo bibs, as Delmonico penned, "the original tactical britches". Sometimes wearing one of my several pairs of military BDU's with all those wonderful pockets. Usually have several bandoleers slung crossways across my upper torso and/or a belt with loops around my waist. Something I found handy years ago while a LEO were M1 Carbine double ammo pouches. These neat little green pouches are perfect made for all the HXS speed loaders I used for shootin double action .357 (and any DA revolver). They hold two ammo loaded speed loaders perfectly. Used to strap around six of them all loaded up around my waist. Now please don't get all jumpled up saying "Hey this is a old timey forum, not about modern handgun shootin". They work, I've even put six loose rounds of 45 Colt in each space, ie 12 rds per pouch.

I bought several Russian Mosin-Nagant rifles 7.62x54 rifles for my WW2 military collection. Ugliest gun out of all that came out of that era (IMO), but they're shooters. Anyway with every gun came a Russian ammo pouch, you've seen them. Great ammo carrier, even use them to carry balls and wads when shootin my cap and balls. Bought a few extra for slingin through a belt and strappin around my waist. Old 12 round slide ammo loops from my LEO days are pressed into service when shooting 38/357 guns-even employ a 38/357 double ammo dump pouch. Around the waist loops are used also. Cooler weather brings out my old Vietnam era green Army jacket with its spacious pockets. A cross chest heavy duty camo condura pouch that has a lot of room for all kinds of ammo and whatever is sometimes used. Back in the early days, I took an old leather white purse of one of my sisters, dyed it black and it was slung on me along many of shootin jaunts in thee ol sandpit we used to shoot in, river bankin shoots, huntin expeditions, etc. Used to get a lot of razin' about it from friends, but they were always glad I had it when they needed some of the various things besides ammo I carried in it. Water bottle, screw drivers, gum, hard candy, chew of RedMan, etc.

Sometimes I just keep it simple, wearin nothin but a pair of bluejeans, stuffin as much ammo in their pockets as I can, and go plinkin, usually wish I had brought more. I like this shootin over any paper punchin, stage shootin, or any other. Very fun and relaxin. OK, this got longer and more wordy than I planed. Back in the 60's-70's a country music player by the name of Tommy Collins, wrote and recorded a song called "Remember Opal, You Asked Me" about a guy telling his wife why he was leaving. A comic list of reasons, its on the web (You-Tube) if your curious. I know it's not something to make light of, but Collins wrote/recorded a gem. OK, I'm done, I know some of the items I carry ammo in aren't cowboy, SASS/NCOWS approved, period correct, etc, etc, but they work and as in the song--- "Remember You Asked Me"!
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline jthbjr

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2016, 12:39:01 PM »
Most days I wear regular Wrangler jeans that have a watch pocket on the right hand side. I carry a single action pistol on my pants belt. I carry ammo in the watch pocket. It will hold 5 or 6 44wcf cartridges easily. I'm just out around the ranch so that plus what is in the pistol is plenty. Works for me. And there is a rifle in the truck.
John aka JTHBJR

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com