Author Topic: JB Bore Cleaning Paste Woe's  (Read 3959 times)

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
JB Bore Cleaning Paste Woe's
« on: September 12, 2016, 08:23:02 AM »
Anyone ever have had JB Bore Paste sort of get a grainy texture to it. I have a container that I've had for a while 7-8 years and this summer I noticed that it had gotten sort of a grainy texture to it, Stirring had no effect, I even microwaved it for 10 seconds and stirred. No effect. (I know, your saying there he goes again, microwaving stuff) ;D A container of JB Bore Brite I bought at the same time also had the same grainy texture and attempts to get it back to its original texture were nonproductive. It has the appearance of small grains of sand in the paste.

I have a unheated shop, but all products susceptible to cold in it have always been taken into my basement in the cold Iowa winters. Hot summers they have been left in the shop, but it stays around 15* cooler in there from outside temps. I was at Brownells retail store in Grinnell this summer and asked one of the tech guys about it. He advised he's had it for 10 years or so on the shelf with no effect, but advised to mix a little veg cooking oil in it, stir, and maybe microwaving for a few seconds. Tried that, didn't work. Bless his heart, he gave me a free tub of JB paste-Brownells is a good outfit, think I've done business with them since around 73, always good service. Anyway, wondering if any like problems or solutions across the good ol USA!

Late Entry: Should have said 'Around thee World'-didn't mean to leave all you CAS members out across the borders! :)
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
Re: JB Bore Cleaning Paste Woe's
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 09:21:27 AM »
My JB Bore paste is about 25 years old, and is also grainy. It doesn't seem to keep it from doing its J.O.B.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 04:49:24 PM »
Actually, it's Monday and I'm a mite bored.  I have all my guns cleaned from the weekend and I have no active projects to keep me off the streets.  What does this have to do with JB Bore Paste you might ask.  Well ...... actually nothing. 

Since I only shoot BP and Subs, I have no use for the stuff.  About a minute with soap and water and PRESTO!!  Squeaky clean.  At the present time, the only "JB" anything I use is JB WELD.  Now, if we were talking about the results of JB Weld in your bore, I could be of real help.

Dontcha just hate it when I get bored!!!  I'll go find something else to be annoying about.

Coffinmaker

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:08:40 PM »

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 05:17:19 PM »
I use it in my collection of WW2 bolt action rifles (plus one WW1 and a Korean era Springfield M1 Garand). I have used it also in handguns that I shoot smokeless in with cast bullets-a real bore scrubber. Really, really good stuff-really good for taking out lead and copper!!!!!

Coffinmaker! I suppose I could post some wild post on some subject that gets ya all steamed, your jaw tight, nose out of joint, and wondering what the 'H' I'm talking about or why I did what I did. Just so yer not bored!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D If ya really want some ammo on me, PM Jubal Starbuck, he could enlighten ya and be a teller of tales!!! Of course it would all be stretched out of proportion!! ;D ;D

All my best to ya!!! Yurs, Croker of Crows, Galler of Galls, Esquire!

Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Jubal Starbuck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 06:40:21 PM »
I'm  athinkin' you could bring yer stuff back with the simple addition of half a teaspoon of leprechaun dust dissolved in half a shot of slivovitz, three drops of Marvel' Mystery Oil, two squirts  of grey poupon, the juice of one medium sized bull thistle, a dash of  cayenne pepper, two sprigs of wolfbane and 2 oz.(by we ight) of saber tooth possum grease.  Mix thoroughly outside under a chestnut tree in the dark of the moon while wearing holey socks ...no microwaves!  Parsely optional.  Let age for one lustrum before using.
    Glad to be of assistance in this matter.

Yr. Ob't. Svt.,

Jubal Starbuck

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 09:34:14 PM »
That sounds more like something we ete' on the one ill fated campin trip back Memorial Day '69 or the big shoot out and yard campin- sleepin', Labor Day weekend of '70!!! I won't go into details!!! :-X

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 02:29:06 AM »
It's supposed to be grainy. It's basically a jeweler type rouge. I know one gun maker who says he's seen barrels ruined by it. It's not needed. If you have heavy lead fouling then use bronze wool and a good modern solvent and not "Stone Age" Hoppe's. Then determine what caused the leading to prevent that.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 07:15:41 AM »
Fox: It is a rouge as you say, but the container I was referring to (both of them) is as if you've taken sand grain particles such as used in sand blasting and stirred them into the paste. My thought is that something in the product has changed somehow, by either temperature, age, whatever and caused it. Upon using it in its 'grainy' state, it just seems to be a oily paste with small particles. I'm just not going to use it, I've new on the shelf. I've tossed half drunk cans of soda pop that have been left in the frig and lost their fizz without causing any hardship, don't believe the 'bad' (IMO) JB will either.

I've never in 50 some years of reading gun magazines have ever heard of JB bore cleaner damaging a bore. Have heard many accolades from even high power bench rest shooters on its benefits. I don't use it every time I clean a particular gun, maybe use it only several times a year. Most of the time it's used in my collection of military (mostly WW2 bolt guns). Now those rifles have had a lot of copper clad ammo shot through them and patches come out green for some time. I have used other 'modern' bore cleaners. Some I detest the smell, others are no better than Hoppes, just more hype, and besides, nothing better than workin at the bench, cleaning a gun with a old time dark brown glass bottle of Hoppes, with its oder permeating the air. Sort of like reading an old issue of Sports Illustrated with a new Jack O'Connor article on shooting some rifle. Ah, thee old days. Hoppes gets the job done for me and I'm a happy camper.

For all you black powder shooters, 'No', I don't use it on any of my black powder shootin pieces. For all my smokless guns, I do use a bronze brush and solvent when needed and rarely have heavy lead fouling anymore. I use hard enough lead in my smokeless shootin guns and keep track of pressure/velocity (powder type and weight) so I don't get any more leading than possible. The only time I ever had a problem with severe leading was back in my early Police  PPC and PCC shootin. Some of the 38 wadcutters used were terrible, problem solved when changing ammo, going to 38 SWC, and casting and loading my own fodder. 

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 09:28:33 AM »
The reason I still have JB after all these years is that I don't use it much. The last time was about 15 years ago to clean up the barrel of a Swedish rolling block that had one of the original barrels from the ML Minie rifles made in 1860.

With ordinary care a more modern piece doesn't/shouldn't need it!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 01:05:31 PM »
I think if we added a couple of thick slices of Cucumber and a spoon of Guacamole to Jubal's recipe, we'd have a cracking good SANDWICH

Coffinmaker   

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 08:15:21 PM »
...Now those rifles have had a lot of copper clad ammo shot through them and patches come out green for some time. I have used other 'modern' bore cleaners. Some I detest the smell, others are no better than Hoppes, just more hype, and besides, nothing better than workin at the bench, cleaning a gun with a old time dark brown glass bottle of Hoppes, with its oder permeating the air. Sort of like reading an old issue of Sports Illustrated with a new Jack O'Connor article on shooting some rifle. Ah, thee old days. Hoppes gets the job done for me and I'm a happy camper...

KG12 doesn't smell and is the best copper fouling remover extant:

http://www.coretacsolutions.com/products_KG_KG12_TEST.htm

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 09:18:12 PM »
Never heard of KG12 before. I've tried some of the ammonia type products before and ceased because I couldn't stand the smell and didn't like some of the things I read about the ammonia cleaners. Might have to give the KG a try. Fox- Have you used it or shooters you know used it with success? Ifin' I get some, I'll probably still use good ol' Hoppe's for general cleaning and swabbing lightly to prevent rust after cleaning. I always dry patch a bore before the shooting of a gun that's been cleaned, put away, and taken out for shooting. Maybe ifin' I get some KG, I can dab a little Hoppes under my nose just for the Hoppe smell 'high'. A couple guys I know have Hoppe air freshener's hanging from their pickup mirrors. Actually, I like the smell of the old original Hoppes #9 before Hoppe's changed it. Whenever they did some time back, I noticed it, called Hoppe's and asked them about it. They claimed they didn't do a thing, but my nose and some I read later said they did. Inherited a full bottle of the 'original' some time back and use it when I want to reminisce.  ;D ;D Thanks Fox for the info.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com