Author Topic: Wad for BP Shotgun Loads  (Read 12613 times)

Offline Two-Bits

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Wad for BP Shotgun Loads
« on: September 11, 2016, 03:06:51 PM »
What kind of Claybuster/Winchester plastic wads do you use in your 12 gauge BP (not sub) loads?
_______
Two-Bits

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Wad for BP Shotgun Loads
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 04:39:23 PM »
I shoot 51 rs of FFg and an ounce of shot in plastic hulls with a pink wad.  Claybuster CB1100-12.  Makes a nice crimp in STS and Nitro Gold hulls.

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 09:32:46 PM »
I can't remember if it is  50gr (or 45) by volume equivalent of whatever BP or sub I have on hand at various times: Pyro-P, RS, Pinnacle, Goex, Black MZ, APP, 2F or 3F etc. under the AA white wad in a Remington compression formed case (STS, Black, Blue, or green Gun Club) and any primer that will fit. I'll even take the old Remington sized primers #57 & 157s and wedge them in with a tiny piece of paper. Works great and the off size primers are a bargain ($0.50-$1.50/100) at gun shows 'cause they no longer fit anything.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:42:28 AM »

Offline Cemetery

• Top Active Citizen
    • Cemetery's Gun Blob
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 09:39:50 AM »
When using plastic wads in regular sized 12g shells, what's the maximum load of black that can be put it?

I normally use 80g and fiber wads.
God forgives, I don't........

Offline Waddie Bill

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 12:28:29 PM »

I use the red wads (WAA-12R or CB1138_12) they have the most space for powder that I have found. I use them in my cowboy loads
 (70 gr black 1F or 2F 1oz shot ) and hunting loads (80 gr black 2F _11/8 oz shot usually #6 ) in AA cases. ( needs some compression )
 The cowboy load works in a variety of cases.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 01:27:54 PM »
I found 80 grains is a pretty stout load. It's OK if you like daylight flames! the recoil is not cas friendly and may lead to blown patterns in Sawdoffs. I dropped to 60 gr of FFg or 50 gr. of FFFg in 12gauge and a bit less in my favoured sixteens.

I consider 70 to 80 grains are suitable for hunting.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 01:53:42 PM »
For a number of years, the most popular BP load was a 4.3cc dipper (approx. 65gr) of FFg, a red wad, and 1 oz of shot in a AA or STS hull.  I use a bit more shot and bit less powder for tighter pattern, approx 60 gr of BP and 1 1/8oz shot with the red wad (formerly Winchester, now Claybuster, as mentioned by Waddie Bill).  I use the exact same load in brass hulls with the addition of an 11 ga. .125 nitro overpowder card to give a good seal since the plastic wads are a little undersize for brass.

Some people shoot at clubs with easy knockdowns and are able to use less powder and shot.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 04:43:42 PM »
Well HEY!! 

Were we talking about REAL shotgun hulls ..... you know ...... 12Ga All Brass ...... I could actually contribute some useful information.

However, since we're (youz guyz) are all talking about those new fangled FAD (plastic) hulls, I can't be of much help.  However, rest assured, those Heathen Fad Plastic thingies will never catch on.  True shotgun hulls are made of BRASS!!   ::) ;D

Coffinmaker

Offline Two-Bits

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 04:50:51 PM »
Thanks all for your replies.
I am also talking about those new fangled plastic hulls in case anyone is interested!  I wanted to know what wads others were using because I was thinking about changing my reloading parameters.  I can get a very nice load with a good looking shell with a nice crimp if I use 2 1/2 DRAMS (just over 68gr.) of BP, a RED Wad and about an ounce of shot.  Except for the red wad, this is the make up for a LIGHT Load as shown on this web page:

http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg.html

I want to cut down on my powder (maybe to 50 grains) while still maintaining about an ounce of shot or maybe down to 7/8 oz. and was curious what wads others were using.

I noticed that lower in the website it says:

Wad Pressure. Black Powder should be packed pretty tight but that is not critical. Even if left slightly loose it will not give 'squib loads' like smokeless sometimes will.

Has anyone found this to be true about air space between powder and wad?  That a little air space is OK?
_______
Two-Bits

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 06:22:05 PM »
Primer, powder, over powder card, fiber wad, shot, over shot card, roll crimp.  Do that with an equal volume by measure of powder and shot, roll crimp and your're ready to let fly.

Let 'er flicker!

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 07:58:53 PM »
85 gs 3f and 1&1/4 oz shot is a good thumper load. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline R.T. Rangebum

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 04:07:33 PM »
For cowboy shootin, I use the CB0178-12 (WAA12L). It's a 7/8 oz. wad and I load it into range pick up federal hulls (tons and tons and tons are available). I load 50 grains of whatever black powder is the cheapest, add 7/8 oz of shot and the federal hulls crimp beautifully. One advantage to using the federal hulls is that that so many smokeless shooters use the federals that the supply of hulls is almost unending; I load them once and throw them away.

RANGEBUM

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 04:41:49 PM »
SEE !!!  I wasn't kidding  :o ;D  Those newfangled fad plastic hulls are such a fad folks throw them away by the ton.  Never see that with REAL Shotgun hulls.  Nanny Nanny Poo Poo  8)

Incidentally, I shoot somewhere around 55Gr 2F APP, Over Powder wad, 10Ga Plastic wad cut down for a 1oz pay load then over shot cards.  Very nice load.  My antique J P Sauer Hammer Double has 2 1/2 inch chambers and is some kind of super light.  With "normal" loads it kicks like a mule.  So I use the above load but without the Over Powder Card.  Nice soft load for a light gun.

I see no reason to leave air space in a shotgun hull with either BP or Subs.  I know some folks do it, but I personally think it's really bad JU Ju.  Compression however, is no issue.  as long as the Over Powder wad or the bare 10Ga wad set down on the powder, it goes BOOMBA.

Coffinmaker

Offline FuriousFritz

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 03:12:52 AM »
At my last match, i had some issues with my plastic wads.
I use 2.2cc BP, a 1/2 " fiber wad, a plastic wad with 7/8 lead shot, overshot card.
These plastic wads melt down in the barrel after 50 shots. When i clean my gun a thin melted layer is in the barrel  :o
Scrubbed it out and everything was fine.

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 08:18:59 AM »
No need to scrub. Just spray the inside of the bbl with a 30-1 solution of simple green and let set for 15 mins or so, run a wadded, wet paper towel thru the bore with a cleaning rod and it all pushes right out. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Cemetery

• Top Active Citizen
    • Cemetery's Gun Blob
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 09:43:08 AM »
No need to scrub. Just spray the inside of the bbl with a 30-1 solution of simple green and let set for 15 mins or so, run a wadded, wet paper towel thru the bore with a cleaning rod and it all pushes right out. wM1

I shoot smokeless the following week, and it all blows out.
God forgives, I don't........

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 01:55:30 PM »
If you use a OP card between the powder and plastic wad it doesn't snot.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 03:24:47 PM »
Oh yes it does  ::)   ;D  I was loading a shot cup (cut from a Remington plastic wad) on top of an OP wad topped with a cushion wad.
got Snot.  Easy to clean, but ... got snot.  When I switched to 10Ga Plastic Wads ....... no snot.  Go Figure.

Coffinmaker

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2016, 04:14:46 PM »
IMO the snot comes from the shot cup & wad sides and not the plastic OP wad. Look at a fired wad and there is no sign of melting of the OP part of the wads that is in contact with the powder.

Here's my explanation: After the first shot you've got BP fouling left lining the bore. Next shot sets the shot back and outward against the cup wall as it travels down the barrel smearing/scraping plastic from the cup into the BP fouling. The flame of the charge melts the shavings into the prior BP fouling. Repeat multiple times and you get a nice layer of plastic scraped off the cup and melted into barrel wall fouling.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 12:32:53 PM »
Like Dick said... cardboard and fiber wads for me as well.

I use 50 grains of 1F, and ounce of shot, beat up hulls that no one else wants with 1/2" of the crimped end removed, roll crimp instead of star crimp.  It is super easy on the shoulder.  I use them once and toss them as beat up hulls are easy to come by.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com