Author Topic: Rossi M92 .45 colt 24" octagon  (Read 14671 times)

Offline sharpie443

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rossi M92 .45 colt 24" octagon
« on: September 07, 2016, 11:53:12 PM »
So I've ran into a lot of people looking to buy a lever gun lately. Mostly do to changes in my states hunting laws concerning straight walled cartilages but also just because people seem to be interested in them lately. I took a brand new shooter out to try some guns out and he is already looking to get a lever gun. I own a number of lever guns myself but I thought i would talk about one in particular in this video.

The Rossi is a good gun out of the box and is a less expensive alternative to a Henry or a higher end lever gun. it shoots well out of the box but there are a few things to be aware of. The action is rough from the factory and will take a lot of time or money to smooth out. Even if you do the job yourself it will require a new ejector spring, reduced power main spring and mettle follower for the tube magazine. However the end result is a gun just as good as ones that might have otherwise been outside your price point.

Now in terms of caliber I like the .45 colt. The down side is you have to reload to get the full potential of this cartridge. It's capable of out preforming the .44 mag when loaded with a slow burning powder like H110 with a log barrel and good projectile. This gun is capable of using .45 Colt Ruger only loads that turn the anemic .45 colt into a contender with other straight walled magnums and excellent hunting round.

Overall I highly recommend the gun if you are looking to get into a lever gun without braking the bank. Just keep in mind that it is going to take a bit of work to smooth out the action.

On a side note I put up a 12" AR500 gong at 250 yards at my range and threw a few .45 colts at it just for fun. I had to aim almost two feet above the target but It hit. I was pretty surprised. I think luck had a lot to do with it to be honest. I should have played the lotto.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Rossi M92 .45 colt 24" octagon
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 03:08:20 PM »
PssssssssssssssT !!  Wanna know a SECRET??

A 92, makes a darned fine CAS rifle.  The 92 can be made to run REALLY smooth.  Can be made to run REALLY fast.  Just not "short" or quick.  Properly tuned up, a 92 can be run with ONE finger and spit out cases like a machine gun.  A few Lustrum ago, there were just as many of the "fast" guys and gals running 92s and Fish as there were running '73s.  This was pre Short Stroke.  A body can get into a sweet running 92 for half the cost of a '73, before the '73 goes to the "Speed Shop."  I use to put 92s together alla time.  I don't know if Nate Kiowa Jones (Stevesgunz.com) still has the vid on his web site, but use to show a 92 he was running with one finger.  Running it real fast.

Coffinmaker

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 08:12:12 PM »
PssssssssssssssT !!  Wanna know a SECRET??

A 92, makes a darned fine CAS rifle.  The 92 can be made to run REALLY smooth.  Can be made to run REALLY fast.  Just not "short" or quick.  Properly tuned up, a 92 can be run with ONE finger and spit out cases like a machine gun.  A few Lustrum ago, there were just as many of the "fast" guys and gals running 92s and Fish as there were running '73s.  This was pre Short Stroke.  A body can get into a sweet running 92 for half the cost of a '73, before the '73 goes to the "Speed Shop."  I use to put 92s together alla time.  I don't know if Nate Kiowa Jones (Stevesgunz.com) still has the vid on his web site, but use to show a 92 he was running with one finger.  Running it real fast.

Coffinmaker
+1.  I have 3 '92s, that I worked over,  2 of which my wife and son ran in CAS.   The '92 used to be THE rifle... pre-short stroke, '73s were regulated to also-ran status, and those that just wanted the 1870s look and feel in their tools.  The Marlin with it's slightly shorter stroke from the factory was a good competition gun against the '92, but with 38Spls it's propensity to jam was a problem.  It took some really fine smithin' to make 'em run reliably.  Once folks figured out what springs to lighten and shimmin' out that right hand guide, most of its issues were resolved.  IIRC, 5-time EOT Champ China Camp used a '92. 
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:54:02 PM »

Offline Rooster Ron Wayne

• Rooster
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Lube your Balls & Cap your Nipples ~ Just Sayin !
  • SASS #: 86029
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 04:08:14 PM »
The 92 is not that hard to slick up your self.
Utube vids are out there .
I have three I have done myself.
And all run mags and specials with zero issues.
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 07:23:29 PM »
I wish Rossi would add a .45acp lever gun to the line.

Offline robtlah

• Lawdog Bob
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 11:22:02 PM »
I have a Rossi 92, in addition to a Chaparral 73 and a Uberti 66. All three were tuned by a local cowboy gunsmith and work well. However, the 92 is absolutely the most reliable of the three. It's in .45 Colt, and it's the one I use most for cowboy shooting. My 92 is one of the Brazilian models, but of later manufacture. (The earlier ones had many problems out of the box...mine didn't.) With a good action job and several years of use, the gun has been, and still is, great fun to shoot. It's a short rifle, (20 inch octagonal barrel) so is well balanced and easy to handle, levers smoothly, and rarely jams.

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 10:39:05 AM »
Interesting about running a 92 "fast"...I've done a number of experiments where a new shooter shows up with a 92 and fumbles with the long stroke as his hand needs to leave the grip. After a few weeks of him/her shooting a 92, I time them for ten shots, stand and deliver. Then I let them try my 1873 with a short stroke kit. Every single person greatly improves their time. Some by as much as 50%!

Usually within the next two or three matches they show up with a short stroked 73......... ;D
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 08:47:00 PM »
Since we was chasing a thread on a '92,  and was also talkin 'bout "tuned" 92s ........ Yer Point??

Coffinmaker

Offline Rooster Ron Wayne

• Rooster
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Lube your Balls & Cap your Nipples ~ Just Sayin !
  • SASS #: 86029
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 06:22:00 PM »
Rossi 92 is a great gun.
As far as a lot of money to smooth up ?
It will cost you less then 75.00 to do .
If you do it your self .
Not that hard .
I have done serval for myself.
I have two that have 5k or more down the barrel and are as slick as butter .
The stroke is longer .
But they are smother then a 66 or 73 .
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."

Offline Blackjack Charlie

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • BADGES!!!!! WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES
    • Open Top Productions
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 07:31:05 PM »
I agree with Rooster the Rossi 92 is a great gun for the price. Didn't take much to slick it up for my son to shoot in NCOWS just some stoning/polishing and a Lee's spring kit. It was a pain to disassemble/reassemble to first time but now thinking about getting one as a backup to my 1873.
Blackjack Charlie
NCOWS Secretary
Senator
NCOWS #3785 Pistoleer
STORM 433
2017 Inaugural SMVS The Quick and The Dead  Shootout Winner
Webmaster and Deputy Marshal Johnson County Rangers
http://www.jcrangers.org/

A proud member of Open Top Productions
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC1giK15YACmSiF93l-kiS3Q
Please subscribe to our YouTube channel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk