Author Topic: Treso or Slix Shot Colt Walker nipples  (Read 6545 times)

Offline Trader Dan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Treso or Slix Shot Colt Walker nipples
« on: August 31, 2016, 08:13:09 PM »
I need to change my nipples!!!!!

Just bought  Uberti Colt Walker. Although I am new to cap and ball revolvers, I have done quit a bit of black powder shooting with muzzle loading rifles. One of the first things I learned many years ago was the factory nipples, while OK, are not as good as the after market nipples. SOOOO, I am going to change the Uberti nipples on my new Walker to after market nipples.
I have been doing some Internet research I find that the two most common after market revolver nipples are made by Treso and Slixshot. It seems the Treso nipples are more common as these seem to be the ones that are discussed the most.

So, in the honored opinion of the pards on this here board, which brand is better or are they equal in quality?

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Re: Treso or Slix Shot Colt Walker nipples
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 10:50:15 PM »
There was a discussion in the Darkside Den recently about this. Currently its on page one, five posts form the bottom. I started the post called "Question on Nipples". A lot of good information and posts.
Also on the Dark Arts section of the Darkside there is a very good posting by a guy who used to post here on CAS by the name of 'Mako'. He was a real knowledgeable guy. Check out that two page post on page one of the Dark Arts (the only page), a little more than half way down called "Cap Gun Primer: Correct Cone Length". Very informative, doesn't get into SlixShots as it was posted before they came out, but does give all the ABC's on nipples and Treso's. Wish Mako was still postin here!!!!
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 11:07:31 AM »
There was a discussion in the Darkside Den recently about this. Currently its on page one, five posts form the bottom. I started the post called "Question on Nipples". A lot of good information and posts.
Also on the Dark Arts section of the Darkside there is a very good posting by a guy who used to post here on CAS by the name of 'Mako'. He was a real knowledgeable guy. Check out that two page post on page one of the Dark Arts (the only page), a little more than half way down called "Cap Gun Primer: Correct Cone Length". Very informative, doesn't get into SlixShots as it was posted before they came out, but does give all the ABC's on nipples and Treso's. Wish Mako was still postin here!!!!

+1000%

Tresos were the standard for years.  They are often hard to find.  Track of the Wolf has bsically copied the Treso design but makes them out of stainless steel.  All three, Treso, Track of the Wolf, and SLIX are well made and are a great improvement over the stock nipples.  You can't go wrong with any of them as long as you mate them with the proper cap.  The almost universal favorite cap of serious cap and ballers is the Remington #10.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:01:14 PM »

Offline Thompsongunner

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 05:28:48 PM »
I just ordered some from TOW for a Pietta 51 and a 2nd Gen 51. Be sure you measure the length of your nipples before you order. My 2nd Gen nipples were .025 shorter than the ones they sent me and the pietas were .004 shorter.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 07:28:18 PM »
I try to separate my personal opinion from a Gunsmith type professional comment.  Personally, I like SliXshot.  My prime shooting partner likes Treso.  Or Slix, Some Treso,  Some SliX.  I don't like Treso.  Personal thing.  Running after-market springs, I prefer Slix.  All of the other Cap Gunners I shoot with like both, or  one or the other or even the TOW copy of the Treso.

Then consensus of opinions has been that you won't go wrong with any of them.  If you don't like the first set you get, try another.  They are all good and much better than OEM.

Coffinmaker

Offline Trader Dan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 07:49:04 PM »
Then consensus of opinions has been that you won't go wrong with any of them.  If you don't like the first set you get, try another.  They are all good and much better than OEM.

My vast experience with muzzleloading nipples it the one I put on my CVA Mountain rifle about 30 odd years ago and it is still working.

That is the conclusion I had come to. I had no idea there was so much to learn and understand about nipples. Seems the biggest thing is which one work better what this size cap or that size cap.

Thanks for all of the information pards. We will see if the ones I bought from the Possibles Shop will work the way I hope they will.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 09:29:24 PM »
Trader Dan,

Forgot.  Most of the After-Market nipples are Cap specific.  SliXshot were specifically engineered to perform with Remington #10.  I have recently had a "match" experience, with SliXshot and Remington #11.  The outcome was something less than Harmonious.  I knew better, I just screwed up and didn't catch the error.  OOPS.

Don't necessarily write a Cap set off immediately.  Take a peek at the fine print.  Could be, Wrong Caps.  Not that I have reason to know that fact (don't want to talk about it  ???).

Coffinmaker

Offline Trader Dan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 09:48:35 PM »
Ended up with Treso nipples and boy were they fun to install. I order a Walker nipple wrench and I am glad I did. I had to work them back and forth like you would a tap when you cut new threads. But they all went in. I hope to actually shoot the gun in the next couple fo weeks. After I get through with yet another week of those racken-frackin medical types! nothing big just yearly checkups but they all happen the last week of September and the first week of October. By the time the check ups are over, I never want to see another Doctor again!

Offline Flatbush

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 07:13:21 PM »
I have Treso nipples on a pair of 1851's and a pair of 1860's, and use Remington #10 caps. I discovered the Remington #10 caps fit the factory nipples just fine on both my Walkers, so I left them in there and they've been working fine ever since.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com