Author Topic: chaparral barrels?  (Read 9016 times)

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
chaparral barrels?
« on: August 21, 2016, 06:38:57 PM »
 Having read and reread ,all of our post about chaparral's bad points,,anyone know of any blowed out ( or up) barrel's on the 76 model's?  Also ,,if one were to buy one,,in what years ,will be one's best chances of getting a better ( or improved) model ,?

(More questions to follow)

Hootmix.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: chaparral barrels?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 09:08:24 PM »
I have never heard of a Chaparral barrel blowing out or "up."  I have know of a bunch that were actually unsafe to shoot because of criminally excessive headspace and bad links.

In all honesty, I don't know of any production series that would increase one's chances of getting a good Chaparral '76.  From the guns I
received to work on, they were all uniformly bad.  I fully realize, a few (handful) of folks actually have a Chaparral that is OK to shoot, and some of those few may even shoot well.  I don't think I'd run out of fingers counting the acceptable Chaparral rifles.  Remember too, there are NO replacement parts to be had.

Coffinmaker

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 10:22:55 PM »
" SIR"  ,'Coffinmaker', thank you for your reply. I was also wondering "IF" there is a year of mfg. that is safer & better made ( fewer problems). From reading on this forum it seem's better the newer mod.  I'm looking at a 40/60, .

Hootmix.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:49:11 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 12:09:16 AM »
remember when he said

"In all honesty, I don't know of any production series that would increase one's chances of getting a good Chaparral '76.  From the guns I received to work on, they were all uniformly bad.  I fully realize, a few (handful) of folks actually have a Chaparral that is OK to shoot, and some of those few may even shoot well.  I don't think I'd run out of fingers counting the acceptable Chaparral rifles.  Remember too, there are NO replacement parts to be had.

I'd take that to the bank .....

on the other hand "if"  someone offered me their " Tomato Stake " gratis  ..... I'd be all about ...NO thanks !

that is also, headed for the bank
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 12:22:00 AM »
"Thank you ,both",,,,,,,,,"Such is life",,,

Thanks,,,Hootmix.

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 08:20:04 AM »
I have a Chaparral "66, 24.4" bbl in .357 that I bought from Marstar in Canada about 10 years ago and I have had no problems with it.  Used it in many matches and it is as reliable as my Uberti '73.  The only downside is that parts are no longer available.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 10:54:01 AM »
there were exceptions , thankfully for you... :)

he also said ...
"I fully realize, a few (handful) of folks actually have a Chaparral that is OK to shoot, and some of those few may even shoot well."

I know of another  in INDY worked out of the box...

I saw these , that is the first prototypes @ the 2007 Shot Show ... these were the ones Charter Arms was so "wiz bang wowzer" to intro...what I saw was the 73 the 76   :(  the wood to metal was so gapped & ill fitting I was shocked ..
Later . when I mention this issue on this BB , one of the Dealer jumped in and pointed out these were prototypes  ::)
My response was " this IS the SHOT SHOW" wouldn't you think they would show there best examples ? ???...

He did not respond ..because apparently Chaparral/Charter Arms ..Had done just that ...show the best they could do.
Even the painted mystery wood stocks were awful ...later they offered a Walnut retro kit, you the owner had to fit....

A few years ago, one showed up for sale at my favorite FFL on consignment, after 14 months the guy pulled it back...

Sorry I am,  they were not to good at all , I really hoped they could have been.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 11:59:59 AM »
Before any of the folks that lurk on these pages gives consideration to a Chaparral '76, I highly recommend, suggest, make mention of, try to drag your attention to, a thread by GeezerD.  Just a couple of threads up from this one.  Read along and consider what it took for him to get a Chaparral '76 to work and shoot.

If you are serious about considering a Chaparral, PLEASE ......... Make the check out to me and put it in the mail.  That way, at least ONE of us will be happy  :o ;D

Coffinmaker

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 12:56:15 PM »
 Now that "SIR" is seriously funny haaaaahaaaaaa. ( why the heck am I laughing i'm the one ask'n), Don't care ! it's still funnnnnny.

Hummbly your's Hootmix.

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 09:44:14 PM »
I have to Chaparral 1876s, a 45-60 and a 45-75, both of which work fine.  The fit and finish may not match a Ubeti but I have yet to see one with a burst barrel.  There have been at least two Ubertis reported here that had burst barrels.

If I found one at a good price I would look it over like any other gun and if in good condition I would buy.

Silver Rings
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 07:29:29 AM »
I don't think they made many of the 40-60's, so that might give you fewer chances to find one at all, much less a good one.  Uberti does make it in 40-60 (model CA2502), though those are harder to find as well.

A CAS store here a few years ago was selling the Chappy '73's so there are some around at the local matches, mostly the more casual shooters.  I do like that they put the trap door in the buttstock, but that's about it  :)

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 08:46:40 AM »
Only once did I purchase a replica 1876 . About 18 months ago , happened to see one for sale Chaparral 1876 / 26" oct. bl. 45/60  wcf. Picture looked good , fellow said it shot well and would throw in some fired in it brass to boot. First one of them I have handled . My first look at the fired brass told me the gun must be in good working order. Having had and still do , my share of Winchester 1876 rifles , I have an idea what to look for in the trouble area's . This Chaparral looked very good! My impression was , how can they make and sell it for the price  !  Nothing tell's the tale like loading, shooting ,ejecting ,and hitting your aim better than doing it . The Chaparral that I purchased shoots great is very accurate , has never had a problem loading from the magazine , or ejecting fired brass. I cant find anything wrong with it other than the wood . It has a very good wood/metal fit, it's just a soft wood compared to walnut. I originally purchased the Chaparral 1876 , so I could look at it and test one for myself , with intentions of selling it off afterwards. That selling it part went out the window fast after a few trips out shooting it.  Do I think they made some Bad ones you bet! To many people that know what they are doing have said they are nothing but trouble!  I will say this they did make a few good ones , I got lucky with mine and like SR have had good service from it. If I were going to purchase one I'd give it a good once over , if used ask to fire it or at least see fired brass from it. There are some good ones out there , but sounds like there are more bad ones.,,,DT     PS Why would you want a puny 40/60wcf!  He He!

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 09:54:27 AM »
Hey,,Dusty,,,,,,,,,,,YOU KNOW!!!!!!

Hootmix.

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 10:24:18 AM »
Yea I Know!!! ,,,DT

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 07:42:32 PM »
Howdy
I have a chappy and it shoots and ejects with no problem . It came from Charter arms and yes there were a few problems . But they fixed it . I have hunted with it and have taken a nice buck with it using black powder ammo .

Offline Thomas (Tom) Horn aka James Hicks

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS#86684 Wartrace Regulators
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2016, 07:16:59 PM »
A little late in replying to this thread...

I suppose I am one of the lucky ones who bought a Chaparral 1876 rifle in 45-60 caliber.  I did an "action job" on it when I first bought it and refinished the stocks with many coats of hand rubbed Tung Oil.  I have never experienced ANY of the PROBLEMS that others have spoke of in regards to this rifle... I suppose I got one of their better made 45-60's.  I have two 45-60's both with 28" barrels... a Uberti Centennial Rifle 45-60 and the Chaparral.  I bought the Chaparral when my Uberti barrel (45-60) blew up a few years ago (long story)... I will state that the Uberti with a replacement barrel does not shoot as good as the Chaparral.  The Chappy is a good shooter... and yes I still have the Chaparral and it is still for sale if'n anyone is interested... (see old posts ref this)... not selling because it is a Chaparral... selling because I want a 45-75...
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 03:10:30 PM »
  "TOM" SENT YOU A pm.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com