Author Topic: Wolff Springs for a Pietta SAA  (Read 10870 times)

Offline Chuckwagon Chad

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Wolff Springs for a Pietta SAA
« on: August 20, 2016, 05:50:10 PM »
Howdy,

I am looking to get a set of Wolff springs for my Piettas. I am curious as to the difference between the wire trigger spring and the flat steel (aside from the obvious materials used) What are the advantages/disadvantages and opinions for the experts.

Thanks

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Wolff Springs for a Pietta SAA
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 01:39:25 PM »
Ah Ha!  Well ..... Humpff!!  Let us remember an "X" is just a has been while a spurt is just a "drip" under pressure.  However, let me elaborate just a mite.  A caveat.  I've set up a pile of SAs over about 18 - 20 years a CAS Gunsmith.  I are opinionated (so I've bene told) so I will attempt to separate personal opinion from known fact.

Out of the Box, your Pietta has the best of the flat Trigger/Bolt springs out there.  It does not need to be replaced.  It is springy enough to raise the bolt smartly yet light enough not to beat the bolt into the hammer notches and peen the edges.  Personal Opinion:  Works well enough to use in action jobs and gives a nice "crisp" feel to the action.  Wire springs are nice.  I don't care for them.  To me, they impart a somewhat mushy feel to the action.  Last mostly forever though.  The wire spring may need a little fitting.

The Pietta Main Spring is ....... KRAP.  But .... so is everybody's.  You actually have three choices for a Main Spring.  Your looking a Wolff and they make a nice spring.  Personally, I don't like it.  It will take some fitting.  there is actually nothing wrong with, it, I just don't like it.  Your next choice is from VTI Gunparts.  They market a rather nice Reduced Main Spring.  May take some fitting up at the hammer.  Last on the list and at the top of my personal list is the "Lee's Gunsmithing Gunfighter" spring "kit."  Main Spring and wire trigger/bolt spring in the same bag.  May take a little fitting to clear the hammer .

The spring from Wolff will normally ignite ANY primer.  The springs from VTI and LEE'S may ........ not.  Perhaps a preference for Federal primers will result.  Your dime, your call.

Coffinmaker

Offline Chuckwagon Chad

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 06:59:41 PM »
Thank you very much Coffinmaker!

I really appreciate the input from someone with far more experience than me. You have definitely cleared a lot up for me, but you've also given me far more to think about! No one even said life would be easy  :P

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:06:34 PM »

45 Dragoon

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 11:25:06 PM »
Mr. Chuckwagon,
  Keep in mind that the same spring in a different gun will not necessarily give the same weight reading depending on any action work. Likewise,  a light mainspring  that may appear to be the reason for light primer strikes may be fine after action work. Your quest is a little dependent on what you are trying to achieve. More than likely,  that too will change as you go forward.  As an example,  I have an Uberti El Patron Comp  that has a hammer draw weight of 3 1/2 lbs. max and it smacks primers as good as  a sledgehammer. The trigger weight btw is just shy of 3 lbs.
It is by far a very "easy to handle " sixgun. (No, no wires in this one either!!!)

So, to complicate things even more.  It can be said that the condition of the action your gun has may be the limiting factor in the weight of mainspring you're looking for. So, starting from the action work done, you can virtually "dial in"  the weights you want.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 05:11:59 PM »
Dog Pile on the Answer Guy!!  Piling on Here!!
Yepper.  The Dragoon be correctamundo.  I forgot to mention, going to reduced Main Spring you success is often dependent on what has or has not been done to the gun's action.  If the action is full of burrs and drag points, the result may be less than harmonious.

Coffinmaker

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 02:33:11 PM »
...The Pietta Main Spring is ....... KRAP.  But .... so is everybody's....

When it the last time you handled a new Pietta?  Some of the Pietta Frontier line I've handled at Cimarron have incredibly smooth actions and very light main springs.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 03:38:21 PM »
When it the last time you handled a new Pietta?  Some of the Pietta Frontier line I've handled at Cimarron have incredibly smooth actions and very light main springs.

I handled one of those three yrs. ago owned by a totally non-CAS type fella and  I was amazed at the action & fitting. Timing was dead nuts on and the action slicker than a Philadelphia lawyer!

Offline Chuckwagon Chad

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 08:13:51 AM »
Thanks everyone for your input!

I bought the Wolff springs and am very happy with them. They popped in with no fitting needed.  I tried them for the first time last night and my hammer pull was nice and smooth and easy, I am now able to keep the sight on target shooting one handed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com