Author Topic: .25ACP Ruger New Model Single Eight.  (Read 37006 times)

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: .25ACP Ruger New Model Single Eight.
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2017, 08:19:49 PM »
Noe Molds say they think it could be done but they do not have the free time at the moment to fully investigate the programming Modifications needed. they suggested Trying Back in a couple of months.

Oh well.

Best Regards,
Chev. William
"Been there, But no 'Tee Shirt' survived.

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2017, 05:42:53 PM »
October 22, 2017 and I have made Little Progress with my Projects due to Very Limited 'Discretionary Spending Funds' as I have had no "work calls" since the beginning of The year. 
I did receive A Less than COL raise in my Social Security and Military Retirements that was overrun by the 2% annual increase in CA Property taxes, the actual Cost of Living has Gone up over 2% also Plus the CA Government is imposing Increases in Fees and other Taxes Much greater than 2% to further Shrink the amount left me for Food, Utilities, and Shelter.

I did Order a Custom .25ACP Chamber reamer with a .2795" cylindrical Body diameter to hopefully cure the circumferential bulge I see in all my fired Cases, due it seems form the Taper existing in Standard .25ACP chamber reamers.

Also I have another "Wildcat" case registered in "Ammoguide Interactive"; called the .25 Automatic Long Rifle (.25ALR) with a .960" case length (similar to the .22WRF case length). It is cartridge #1011 in their Cartridge Master Data Base.

So there are now Five documented cases in the family:
.25ACP at .612"
.25ALR at .960"
.25MACP at 1.055"
.25ALS at 1.125"
.25ALRM at 1.250"

All use the same .250"-.251" bullet diameter.
All use the same .278" (formed at .276") case body diameter.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2017, 03:47:42 PM »
I have received Two new Chamber reamers, both with "cylindrical" Chamber body design; instead of "Tapered" chamber body design.
Both measure .2795" for the Body portion.
they, along with two aftermarket 8-shot '.22 MAG.' cylinders have been delivered into my gunsmth's hands for reaming to new dimensions.
the two Cartridges are:
- .25ACP (nominal .612" case length).
- .25ALR (nominal .960" case length).

Best Regards for the Christmas and New Year Holiday Season,
Chev. William

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:04:03 PM »

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2017, 10:45:22 AM »
Sad News:
The recent "Creek Fire" that occurred in the Northeast Border Mountain Ranges of the San Fernando Valley Area of the City of Los Angeles, CA severely damaged the "Angeles Shooting Ranges". the local Commercial out door Shooting Facilities that I frequent. 
The "Reloading Store" in the same complex was left undamaged and is still operating.
I understand  the Range management is planning to rebuild the facility, which is GOOD News.
However, that will take time and for now there is no place locally form me to do any Chronograph Testing of loads.

I still have a Local Indoor Shooting Range that I can use for Accuracy testing of my revolvers but it does NOT alow setting up Chronographs, so no instrumented load development.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2018, 10:03:25 AM »
Good luck getting them back into operation!

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2018, 09:57:50 AM »
Evacuation Orders in place today for the Lopez, Kagel and Little Tuhunga Canyons burned by The Creek Fire earlier this winter.
Rain Falling Heavily yesterday and today is causing Flooding And Mud flows from all Burn Areas involved, including ones form 2016 fires.
"Issuing Office: Los Angeles
Source: National.Weather.Service

6:07am PST, Tue Jan 9

... THE URBAN AND SMALL STREAM FLOOD ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 900 AM PST FOR THE LA TUNA AND CREEK BURN SCARS IN CENTRAL LOS ANGELES COUNTY... AT 605 AM PST, DOPPLER RADAR AND AUTOMATED RAIN GAUGES INDICATED MODERATE TO HEAVY RAINFALL. RAINFALL RATES BETWEEN 0.33 AND 0.50 INCH PER HOUR WITH LOCALLY HIGHER RAINFALL RATES ARE POSSIBLE. THIS WILL CAUSE MINOR FLOODING AND MUD AND DEBRIS FLOW IN THE VICINITY OF THE LA TUNA AND CREEK BURN SCARS. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... TURN AROUND, DON'T DROWN WHEN ENCOUNTERING FLOODED ROADS. MOST FLOOD DEATHS OCCUR IN VEHICLES. BE ESPECIALLY CAUTIOUS AT NIGHT WHEN IT IS HARDER TO RECOGNIZE THE DANGERS OF FLOODING. MOVE AWAY FROM RECENTLY BURNED AREAS. LIFE THREATENING FLOODING OF CREEKS, ROADS AND NORMALLY DRY ARROYOS IS LIKELY. THE HEAVY RAINS WILL LIKELY TRIGGER ROCKSLIDES, MUDSLIDES AND DEBRIS FLOWS IN STEEP TERRAIN, ESPECIALLY IN AND AROUND THESE AREAS. A FLOOD ADVISORY MEANS RIVER OR STREAM FLOWS ARE ELEVATED, OR PONDING OF WATER IN URBAN OR OTHER AREAS IS OCCURRING OR IS IMMINENT. && "

Chev. William

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2018, 11:15:25 PM »
Take care, Chev. William.
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2018, 05:50:56 AM »
Hope you and your family are safe and sound .,,,DT

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2018, 11:33:19 AM »
RE: the winter storm of January.  My Front Driveway and vehicle parking area is Gravel covered Alluvial Sand that was deposited a Very Long time ago.  During the peak rainfall here my parking area was covered with a sheet of 'standing' water that covered the Gravel.  the Tent canvas over my Patio developed Two Deep Bulges from accumulated water that i 'dumped' twice during the storm's passage.  Once The Rain Slowed, the standing water subsided rapidly.  The once brown Grass of my Yards turned green the next day with fresh growth and still continues to be green today.  As is normal in Winter, the deciduous trees have Gone to Yellow before the storm and were turned into Bare gray Limbs by the wind and rain.  Wet, yellowed, leaves covered the ground around those trees.  The Pine trees lost some needles and a few old dry limbs that littered my 'lawn' And a sheet of 1/8" thick Luan Plywood was rendered into small pieces by the storms rage. 
Cleanup has been accomplished here, with my 'trash bins' filled and ready For their second 'pick up' after the storm's passing.

Good News from "Angeles Shooting Ranges" as I found out Saturday they have been working diligently and will be reopening the ranges for shooters Monday Morning.  The range Offices are presently in a 'double wide Trailer' while Cleanup and clearing of the old, burned out, Range Office building continues.

The Burned or 'cooked' trees and 'snags' are still being cut down and cut up along the access Road to the range area, mostly an old Eucalyptus planting from about Prior to WW2 Era.  a Line of Pine trees surrounding the County prisoner Camp show 'cooked' foliage about half way up their height but are green and growing above that.  An Oak that bordered the access road is still green but a section of it that had toppled a couple of years earlier and dried out has gone to ash.  the Little Tungah (sp?) Canyon hillsides which were part of the Creek fire burn area are now gray-brown and almost completely bare of growth as it is still too soon after the fire for new growth to be evident.  The Area reminds me of photos of war torn WW1 Battle Zones in color and missing foliage, but without the shell craters.  a abrupt change from the appearance it had Before the fires. 

My Niece lives on a street in the Sunland area that is between the areas burned by the Creek fire and the Previous La Tuna Canyon fire.  She was lucky then but the rains and mud/debris flows did come down her street, so there was cleanup to attend to there. 

Reports of the Massive fire and Rain/Mud damage and cleanups in Monticito, CA have been in the news with the sad loss of Life in the Mudslides.  There are sitll Some Unaccounted for residents of the area with chances of finding them alive dwindling.  Sad.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2018, 07:25:47 PM »
Saturday, March 10th, is a rainy day here, the USPS came through with two packages for me that advance my Experiments:
1.  From Lee Precision I received Two Oversized .25ACP Sizing dies to finish size to Maximum SAAMI cartridge diameter of .278" instead of the Undersize  of .276"my past sizing die yielded.
2.  From JGS Precision I received my new ".25MACP WS#3 Finish Chamber Reamer.  The Reamer is a Cylinder body reamer of .2795" diameter with out a body taper.  I believe this will Give a longer Case life in reloading from my Ruger Revolver.

I now have received several chamber reamers form Two suppliers:
From PT&G I have tapered Chamber Reamers for .25ACP, .250ALRM, 6.35x28.6mmSR, 6.35x26mmSR, and .32 Colt Long.
From JGS I have cylinder body Chamber reamers for .25ACP WS#1, .25ALR WS#2, and .25MACP WS#3.

The Next reamer I intend to order is another JGS cylinder chamber reamer for .25ALS WS#4, a case of 1.125" length
and .278" body diameter

Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2018, 07:25:36 PM »
Good And bad: Yea and Drat.

The Good: Noe Finished my two Molds and I have them in my Possession; Both are four cavity Aluminum;
First one is for the 50 grain Ranch Dog TL255-50-RF Design;
Second one is for the 65 grain Ranch Dog TL255-65-RF Design.
Al at NOE designed the cutting tool to be able to make both size bullet molds so tooling cost was spread over the Full Group buy of TL255 Molds.
So anyone Desiring a copy of the mold can order it without having a Tooling Charge for it; Just The Wait for production scheduling.

The Bad:  The First of the two Lee "Oversize" carbide ring Sizing dies that I ordered to size to SAAMI .25ACP Maximum Case Diameter has FAILED due to the Carbide Ring Shattering after 100 cases were swaged to its diameter.
The second is sizing slightly OVER SAMMI maximum diameter for the .25ACP case.  

I believe the Failure was my fault as I may have maladjusted the die and caused the failure from the rim of a parent case over stressing the carbide.  
But now I need to order another "Oversize" one from Lee Precision.

The Nice:  I have tried out a .277" ID Drill Bushing for a "Shearing" last step in my forming instead of a "Turning operation(s)" step.
100 Cases of 5.7x28mm FN that had been Swaged down to ~.277" body diameter with a short tapered section near the Base and not yet turned down were pushed into the Drill bushing mounted in a used die body and Successfully came out ~.277" diameter from Mouth to Extractor Clearance Cut (ECC) just above the rim.  The base for about .070" above the ECC down to the top of the ECC showed clean Brass devoid of the Polymer coating.  There was a Thin, fine, ring of sheared Brass and Polymer sitting in the ECC that was removed by finger manipulation.  
These were the cases final Swage formed by The die that failed on the 101st case when I began the set up for the second 100 case box of formed cases.

Now to wait for Funds (next monthly Social Security Direct Deposit).

Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2018, 12:22:20 PM »
Memorial Holiday Weekend and some happy news for me.
I received my Social Security Direct Deposit monthly on May 23rd!
Friday, I received my New JGS Precision Finish chamber reamer; ".25ALS WS #4" for the 1.125" long case 'Mildcat'.
Saturday, I received a $90.00 Check for attending a six hour mandatory safety training class.
Also Saturday, I received the Paycheck for my May 8-9 overnight Emergency Work Call  tending a 1400 amp Tow Plant (Generator) on an LCT 'anchored' in mid channel in Marina Del Rey harbor.
Sunday I bought about $130 worth of food at a local market and spent the late afternoon stowing it in my pantry and refrigerator.
Monday, i use some of the 'future' money (when I deposit the checks) to order a NOE 5 cavity RD TL255-50-RF Mold.

A GOOD Memorial Day Weekend for me.

Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2018, 11:03:20 AM »
The NOE 5 cavity Mold is on order.

Also, I have ordered the Next JGS Precision Finish Chamber Reamer in my series of tighter sized Chambers for my 'Mildcats'; the one for a .25 ALRM Rifle Chamber which will have a slight taper added to the Breech end to ease Extraction in a Rifle application of the 1.250" long straight cylinder case Design.  It will also have a longer Throat taper to allow for longer, and heavier, Bullets.
This new Reamer is to be called the ".25ALRM WS#5" by JGS Precision.

Another Experiment in Progress is making ".22 Ladybug" Cases from .25ACP parent Brass via a Multiple step Swaging and Machining Process.  These will be Center Fire Cases for use in converted .22 Long or .22 Long Rifle Firearms.
The design was first brought up by "NoZombies" on the "Cast Boolits Shooter Forums" as a project to make reloadable subsonic cartridges to aid in pest control in his area.  

The originators' development has now also advanced to a ".22 Ladybug-Repeater" design which also reduces the rim diameter to that of a .22LR cartridge and enhances its 'semiautomatic feeding' in converted repeating firearms.

His plan is to be able to convert single shot or Semi-automatic rifles and Handguns to this CF 'Long Rifle' design cartridge and use them quietly for his pest control needs in his Semi-rural neighborhood.  Sub sonic because he is also using a sound Suppressor on his development rifle.

Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2018, 08:09:48 PM »
This Week I took my CF converted .25ACP Ruger Single Eight frame to my gunsmith so he can fit the Head space on each .25 Caliber 8-shot Cylinder to the frame.
He already machined the cylinders to fit into the frame and has reamed them to .251" diameter through.
Now he is going to ream the Cylinder Chambers of reach of my wild cat designs, from the .25ACP 'Revolver' through .25ALS at 1.125" case length.
My 'revolver' .25ACP reamer has a .2795" body diameter with NO TAPER! Unlike semi-auto pistol chambers; which do have a Taper, and allow the case to Bulge near /the base at firing (reducing the reloading life).

Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2019, 11:22:21 AM »
Friday, February 1st, i received Back my Ruger Custom .25ACP Single Eight Frame and
Three of five new reworked Cylinders.
The Cylinders were aftermarket .22MAG and .22LR 8-shot ones made form 1144 Alloy steel.
They have been Drilled adn Reamed to .252" through; then Chambered with Custom Parallel
wall finish chamber reamers of .2795" body diameter.
The Three Cylinders received are:
- 1. .25 MACP with a case length of 1.055 inch.
- 2. .25 ALS   with a case length of 1.125 inch.
- 3. .25 ALRM with a case length of 1.250 inch.

My gunsmith i sstill working on finishing tow more of these aftermarket cylinders with parallel
wall custom chamber finish reamers fpr:
- 4. .25ALR  with a case length of 0.960 inch.
- 5. .25ACP  with a case length of 0.615 inch.

I hope to get to my Local Outdoor Commercial Range soon to test fire these Combinations;
Disposable Income from my Retirement payments permitting; which is problematic this
month as my Niece needed emergency financial aid to keep from loosing her home.

Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2019, 11:31:48 AM »
I am still Waiting for my gunsmith to finish the last two new 8-shot cylinders for my Converted
Ruger Single Eight .25ACP revolver.  These are the ones for .25ALR and .25ACP with the parallel
wall .2795" diameter chambers to reduce/prevent the previously reported Circumferential "Bulge"
in fired cases

Thursday, Feb. 14th, I took my Ruger MKII Auto Pistol to Angeles Shooting Range sfor a "Range Day"
afternoon on a Wet, cold, and Breezy  day in the Midst of our current Winter Rainy season.  This was
only somewhat fruitful as i ws Shivering too much to hold a steady Aim most of the afternoon.
All in all I fired about 150 Factory Loaded rounds in 'single shot' mode over a period of four hours
before packing up and heading home again.  My "Pattern" of shots POI was slightly low and to the Left
of my POA, which was a 6 o'clock hold on the bottom of the Target's central Orange Spot.

Angeles Ranges are still working out of the Double wide Trailer Temporary Office with a group of 'Portable
Toilets' sitting on the site of the old 'cinder block' Office.  The Trees that were fire damaged in last years fires
are mostly gone now with the rest showing new growth.  i notoced taht the signs saying 'Little Tungah (sp?)
Canyon' road was closed to Thrugh Traffic were missing, so Friday I picked up my Niece and we drove through
the Canyon, then Pacoima Canyon and on into Sand Canyon and came home via Highway I-14 through Soledad
canyon then through Newhall Pass and via I-5 toward Home again.  The Wet weather had brought down many
sections of Loos rock and gravel which road crews were still cleaning out and also had some seasonal water falls
in Pacoima Canyon in full display  Many f the Burnd out Homes have been cleaned out and some have been rebuilt
or replaced but there is still damaged areas visible still to be rebuilt.  Once Tree shaded Campgrounds are still
mostly barren of shade trees.  at the top of sand canyon the Stream flowing across the road Ford was about two
inches deep and about 20 feet wide in several separate flows with gravel and sand between them on the roadway.
It seems the Oaks along the stream had survived the fires of ast years and were Green with new growth here.

There are more rain days Expected so this February is already over Average rain fall as was January. 

Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2019, 12:50:39 PM »
Friday, February 1st, i received Back my Ruger Custom .25ACP Single Eight Frame and
Three of five new reworked Cylinders.
The Cylinders were aftermarket .22MAG and .22LR 8-shot ones made form 1144 Alloy steel.
They have been Drilled adn Reamed to .252" through; then Chambered with Custom Parallel
wall finish chamber reamers of .2795" body diameter.
The Three Cylinders received are:
- 1. .25 MACP with a case length of 1.055 inch.
- 2. .25 ALS   with a case length of 1.125 inch.
- 3. .25 ALRM with a case length of 1.250 inch.

My gunsmith i sstill working on finishing tow more of these aftermarket cylinders with parallel
wall custom chamber finish reamers fpr:
- 4. .25 ALR  with a case length of 0.960 inch.
- 5. .25 ACP  with a case length of 0.615 inch.

I hope to get to my Local Outdoor Commercial Range soon to test fire these Combinations;
Disposable Income from my Retirement payments permitting; which is problematic this
month as my Niece needed emergency financial aid to keep from loosing her home.

Chev. William

On Saturday, June 29th, I received back cylinder number 5, the .25 ACP with custom straight Cylindrical Chambers of .2795" body diameter made from an aftermarket 8-shot .22WMR (.22MAG) cylinder.
Now to plan and schedule a "Range Day" to test fire it in my CF Converted Ruger "Single Eight" Revolver with its 10-5/8" long barrel.

I am Hoping this custom chambered Cylinder will slove the Problem I had with all my fired Brass coming out with Annular Bulges just forward of the Case Web!
this was Not conductive to long Case reloading life.

I am still waiting on my gunsmith to finish cylinder 4, the one for .25 ALR wildcats ( .960" case length).

Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2019, 12:57:49 PM »
This last summer, my gunsmith returned all my chamber reamers and cylinders to me for my review.
It seems that he is too busy to work on them at this time.

He still has a group of Rifle projects of mine to complete so 'all is not lost'.

I guess I will need to order a Custom, straight cylinder wall , .32ACP Chamber reamer next year to complete a .32ACP 'match grade' 6-shot cylinder for one of my Rugers.

It is now the Season of Winds And Wildfires here so planning a Range Day is probably not going to happen this fall.

Chev. William

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com