Author Topic: wagon box pictures  (Read 6097 times)

Offline the man with no name

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
wagon box pictures
« on: August 15, 2016, 10:33:31 PM »
I'm wondering if anybody has pictures of inside of wagon boxes that were made for sharps or any type of rifle? I have pictures of the outside of plenty of the wagon boxes and the flat style boxes. I'm planning on making a box sometime in the future for my reproduction sharps rifle. So any pictures would be helpful.

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: wagon box pictures
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 12:13:42 PM »

Here's a few pictures of the wagon box I made for my Shiloh Sharps Business rifle.  I made it out of 3/4" spruce shelving boards.  It's a little over-kill ... likely could have got by with 1/2" material, but it is great protection for a valuable rifle.  It has a block, set at an angle and covered with brain-tanned elk skin to support the wrist, and another covered with hard leather for the muzzle of the barrel.  Some pieces of 1/2" sleeping mat foam keep the rifle from rubbing on the ends, and the sides.  There's room under the barrel for my cartridge belt (holds 30 rounds) and in the lid for the cleaning rod and two accessories (jag and brush).

This box is easy to fit onto the floor in the back seat of my pick-up, and lots of other gear gets loaded on top of it when I'm off to a match or the range.  It has a couple coats of house paint on the outside only.  The lid was cut from the box itself, and attached with a piano hinge.  It may not be particularly authentic, but serves the purpose very well.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 01:07:55 PM »
Mr. Law:

That is a very cool box.  Nicely done!

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:37:25 AM »

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 07:18:33 PM »
Now There is a guy who loves his rifle!! Adds a whole new aspect to
"goin' out in a pine box", right? Excellent job!!

BTW: Had you thought is include a couple of compartments under the rifle to keep yer possibles in?  Just wondering.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 11:13:21 AM »
Bruce:  I had considered it while making the rifle.  But I carry my ammo, blow tube, patches and solvent in a separate smaller box of oak.  The wagon box for the rifle and the cleaning rod is just to protect it during transportation in the 'wagon'.  I keep the rifle in the box too while I'm in camp for protection from the usual knocks and from the dues and damps.  My cartridge belt rides in the bottom under the barrel.
Thanks for the kudos.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com