Author Topic: Rem 1858 Question  (Read 3281 times)

Offline Okefinokee Outlaw

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rem 1858 Question
« on: August 09, 2016, 05:51:19 PM »
Has anyone compared the dimensions of an original to the Uberti and Pietta?  Just wondering which one is closest to being accurate.

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Rem 1858 Question
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 09:41:43 PM »
Here's what I understand about the dimensions. I've read (and EVERYTHING you read on the internet is true, right?) that the Euroarms Remington was copied from a Beals model. It has the smallest grips, lightest frame and fewest barrel threads showing. Compared to a Pietta it is almost as different in feel/heft as a Colt Navy is to a Colt Army. The Uberti LOOKS more like an original from the side where there is almost no step down from the frame to the barrel. It is a nice, smooth slope. Take a look at side views of originals and you will readily see what I mean. The Pietta and Euros have more of a step where the barrel enters the frame. The Civil War soldiers were smaller than today's men so I suspect the Euroarms is closer in frame size to the original with Uberti next and Pietta way beefier. To me, the Piettas are klunkier than the Ubertis and Euroarms guns when it comes to wielding them. I have owned 3 different Pietta Remingtons but no longer do. I currently have 3 Ubertis (2 in 44, one 36) and 6 Euroarms (2 in 36 and 4 in 44) Remingtons. I have not taken any measurements on the one or two originals I have handled.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 02:57:45 AM »
Years ago Pietta deliberately, redesign their grip , larger ( at the time their grips were still somewhat larger than the Euroarms & Uberti offerings )
They did this , as their advertising read so the Shooters had larger grip  for today larger hands  :-\

Pietta also installs a pressed in post front sight...Uberti correctly dove tail their's
Euroarms is no longer made. but rumor has it , may return under Pedersoli's ownership. 

Pietta is a very good Shooter grade, and will benefit from a minor Bolt fitment ( 99.9% of the time ) read do it !  :)
Grip are large in the hand, and they are quite accurate shooters...
They also offer or did,  a match grade high end Lothar Walther barrels

There is the Hege-Uberti with Lothar Walther barrel ( but not sure you can get it here in the States )
Pedersoli offers virtually  the same gun  Uberti Forged frame / Lothar Walther barrel  in the  *$900 range (* last I heard )

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-prodotto.asp/l_en/idpr_55/pistols-remington-pattern-remington-pattern-pedersoli-target.html

when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:48:34 PM »

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 12:56:18 PM »
One of the Piettas I owned was a police comemmorative engraved model for presentation to retiring police officers. It was stainless and was the same smaller dimension as the Euroarms guns. It had terrible chamber/barrel alignment as did the other two SS full sized Remington I got rid of.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Okefinokee Outlaw

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked: