Author Topic: Vinegaroon problems  (Read 1927 times)

Offline anhurset

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Vinegaroon problems
« on: August 04, 2016, 09:13:40 AM »
I'm well versed in vinegaroon, it's been my main source of black for quite a few years now and the only major issue I've had, until recently that is, have been the few times that I absolutely exhausted some batches (the number one reason I start new brew batches every summer). Recently, however, I recieved some vegtan from the Hide House that simply will not react properly, while the leather has the proper reaction on the flesh side, the grain side goes blue gray and no amount of oiling will turn it black.

I've checked my brew with different leather and it's still up to snuff. I've bumped up the tannins in the new leather with soaks in strong tea, walnut dye and logwood dye. I've tried soaks of up to three hours in all three tannin bumping dyes, including one test consisting of a three hour soak in all three. I've also tried leaving both the straight as well as the tannin bumped leather in the vinegaroon for up to 30 minutes (which is WAY longer than the normal 5 minute dip I normally do), but all has been to no avail. I've never had vegetable tanned leather react this way before and I'm honestly at a loss as to what's happening here.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here, or how to solve this issue?

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Vinegaroon problems
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 10:14:26 AM »
Sorry this is happening, I had this happen with some of Tandy's veg-tan leather way back, but for years now I only use Wicket and Craig's leather, and find their tanning is consistent all the time, and you are right, there isn't much you can do if the leather wont take, I tried too with no result... :-\

tEN wOLVES ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com