Author Topic: The server is fixed and it's Aug, coffee here, July is over.  (Read 40069 times)

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
Re: The server is fixed and it's Aug, coffee here, July is over.
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2016, 08:40:30 AM »
Everyone needs an SMLE and a Peabody, Major. ::)

Well, my plan had been to go out and do a little scouting for deer season this morning, but I'm in a similar boat to the Major on that one.  I'm hoping it's just something I ate, because I have to spend all day down in the city 50 miles away.  :o  Though, to make things more bearable, I'll probably come home with a receipt for a pe-64 Winchester. ::)  I've been wanting to buy an old beater rifle and restore it, but I haven't had the time.  But, now that I'm going to be home for a while without much demand for my time, I might as well.  Plus, I know someone who'd be willing to take the finished project off my hands at a profit.  ;)

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2016, 04:37:18 PM »
Close to 90 again today, was supposed to be finished at noon. Ended up having to clean the pool after somebody's 4 year old pooped in it. :P Also had to go up north on town and get some more 3" chlorine pucks. HOF weekend, traffic up the kazoo and,of course, accidents all over the place. Had to take the long way home :-\ :P
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2016, 05:53:49 PM »
Going to Platteville WI tonight look at a Suburban to replace the Caravan. Going with a co-worker that grew up there. 2.5 hour drive. Be home late.
The family is at the local cancer walk and they will be home late also.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:32:21 AM »

Online pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2016, 07:22:09 PM »
Saw an unusual accident on the way home-somebody had rolled(yes, rolled!) a mobile home! Older single wide, 12 or 14' wide, maybe 60' or better, upside down. Don't think anyone's gonna be moving into that one any time soon, about 2/3 of it was totally demolished.

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2016, 09:36:02 PM »
I see that sort of thing pretty frequently around here, PE.  Had one guy roll it four times.  :o

Anyway, trip to the city went okay.  Not too much traffic, or too many people.  I didn't end up with a rifle, though...  The two best deals I could find were a late 40s Savage 99, 300 Savage for $499 and a Winchester '97 16ga for $300.  Both in too good condition to really call it "restoring."  I could have bough a Sears .22 for $65.  It was missing most of the stock, and the bore was totally smooth.  Not to mention that the firing pin didn't poke all the way out of the bolt.  ::)

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2016, 06:26:46 AM »
I saw one as it happened , on the way home from Horse Cavalry event once.... it was big Winnebago motor-home though  
The older style tin box design... it happened on 1-95 about mile or so in front of me.... I saw it flip in a big cloud of dirt & dust and motor home parts....
it was on it's roof and the folks were already crawling out of it .... minor injuries,  but the Motor-home was a sight ! and belongings all over the road and apron... Looked like bomb had hit it.  

I was towing a goose-neck horse trailer, so with all the help from others, the Cops said we were obliged to pull on less we add to the snarl.

TK did the storms & fires spoil your quarter horse training gig ?
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2016, 10:02:22 AM »
Probably had a failure of some sort, axle,tire, along those lines. Have had them here on old ones getting pulled out of the park. Now, a lot of the oldies just get torn down on the spot instead of pulled. Frames sometimes get repurposed, though ::)

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2016, 12:32:03 PM »
Sure did, Major.  I can't go into any details, but the broad explanation is that the fire is on multiple properties, and now there are legal issues, insurance problems etc.  So, I may be going down in a month or two, or I may decide to say heck with it, and do something else.  We'll see. :)

In other news, our dig is coming closer and closer to "daisy pusher" status.  She runs around our meat rabbit cages and snaps at their toes, runs around the turkey coop and tries to get them, and chases the chickens around the chicken yard.  We usually just apply a steel BB for these offenses, but yesterday she got out of our yard, and into the neighborhood.  She chased some one of our neighbor's chickens until he chased her off with a well applied broom.  After that, she got into another neighbor's yard and wanted to play with his dog.  The problem is, this neighbor is a K-9 unit in the sheriff's department, and his dog is recovering from a stabbing.  :o

Our dog should thank her lucky stars for heavy gauge chicken wire and vigilant deputies with pressure washers.  :-\

--TK

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2016, 01:15:32 PM »
Afternoon y'all.
Bought the '88 Suburban last night. My co-worker and I stayed at his parent's house last night. I got home 'bout 11:30.
The body and frame are in better shape than I expected. It came from NV and has been stored during the winters in WI. It runs kinda rough. My co-worker's father advised new plugs and wires. I'll do that in a week or so.

Working on a neighbor's computer.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2016, 01:34:16 PM »
was temped to acquire a Remington Mod.11  with 2 barrels,  a 30" and a 26 w/ extended Riot mag tube...
Price was fair enough @ $350.00 ..nice clean wood & 95% + blue...  :-\

There was a consigned Black-hawk in 30 Cal, too....   :P

Online pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2016, 02:57:02 PM »
A friend of mine has a .30 Blackhawk, says it's the LOUDEST firearm he's shot.

The mobile home was on a fairly narrow 2 lane road, I guess the driver was trying to keep it all on his side of the yellow line, probably got the wheels of the road and onto an embankment. Don't know for sure, though. When I went by there was nobody there, just an upside down trailer and lots of orange warning signs, tow truck was already gone too.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2016, 04:36:05 PM »
In other words.......TOAST. Turning it back up right would probably just make it worse. Probably will have to be torn down in-situ. ::) :P

Online pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2016, 05:12:20 PM »
Yup, it's toast-back end is torn completely "down" to floor level. Probably they'll just flip it over, tow off what remains, then pick up the scraps in a dump truck.

Lots of people around here used to live in these old ratty trailers-but when the scrap prices went so high, a lot of them got all the metal peeled off and sold, then the remains often just got abandoned.

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2016, 08:49:37 AM »
Morning y'all.
Coffee and iced tea are ready.

'Tis 69 and sunny. High of 77.

Slim

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 118
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2016, 10:24:55 AM »
Thanks for the Swee'Tea Slim, sunny and 80 high of 85
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2016, 08:00:29 AM »
Good Morning gentlemen.  Coffee is on the brew and tea is icing down.  :)

The weather is supposed to be around 90 today, with scattered clouds and 10mph wind.  The alps may get some (more?) lightening, so CalFire and the USFS helicopters are on stand-by down in the big city.  The National Guard armory has also issued advanced warnings to its members that they may activate to fight fires this week.

My plans for today include driving an hour to set up camp for the county fair, driving an hour home, then magically disappearing to my fishing hole before I get roped into something like...washing turkeys. ::)

I did manage to take my little brother out to do some scouting for deer season last night.  We went to "my spot" where I do most of my hunting and waited.  It's a bowl on the side of the mountain, about 250 yards across at the widest, and perhaps twice that from top to bottom.  We normally see about 15 does there at any given time, and sometimes a couple of nice (read "4x4 or better) bucks.  The does were there, but only one little forked horn.  That's okay, though.  Deer season doesn't start for another month anyhow. ::)

--TK

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2016, 08:07:23 AM »

All the slick cars are startin’ to head out.  Weather was perfect all week, just a little on the warm side the first part.  Had 57 to 580 thousand cars registered for this year’s event spread out vover six different venues.  All in all it was a very smooth Hot August Nights.

Sunny and 87 today.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2016, 09:40:30 AM »
Had 57 to 580 thousand cars registered  :o    580,000 cars ! WOW   ;D

5800 even that is a hell of a show ....

high of 81 °F and a 95% chance of precipitation

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2016, 01:35:37 PM »
Had 57 to 580 thousand cars registered  :o    580,000 cars ! WOW   ;D

5800 even that is a hell of a show ....

high of 81 °F and a 95% chance of precipitation

Yeah, that was a slip of the fingers.  Supposed to be 58 thousand.  This was the 30th  Hot August Nights and we were up about 2 thousand cars over last year.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2016, 11:47:38 PM »
Take off another zero, and you still have more cars than any two of the other towns in my county put together.  :o 

All went well today.  No storming, weather was about 90 for the afternoon.  All fair preparations went well and we leave tomorrow for the week.

--TK

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com