Author Topic: Offhand Stance  (Read 3998 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Offhand Stance
« on: July 24, 2016, 02:00:32 PM »
Is there a proper stance for offhand rifle target shooting?  I am shooting a T/C 45 cal. or a Uberti .53 cal Hawkens' if it matters.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
Re: Offhand Stance
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 04:18:33 PM »
That will take a few moments to give you the basics and a lifetime - or longer to master. Here are a few very basic points to start with;

feet in a boxer's stance, not too wide and balanced on both pegs. If shooting a heavy recoiling beast, or a full auto, bend the front knee somewhat. Supporting elbow straight down.

hand under the forearm. You will find out whether to pull back a bit ,or just hold 'er up

trigger elbow straight out, firm but not tight grip with the trigger finger with just the pad controlling the trigger

sights level

take your aim while taking several deep breaths then relax

The sights will wander, so take the slack up on the trigger when the sight picture is right and FREEZE when it goes astray

it will go off when the stars are aligned.

If it takes too long, come down and recuperate, then start the proceedings all over again

It is an art, and very personal, so learn from as many advisors as choose to chime in.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 05:03:42 PM »
Sir Charles gives good council. I would like to expand on it. I also shoot a Hawkens and have worked with a few new muzzle loader shooters. I take my breaths befor I bring the rifle up, then set the triggers as soon as the butt is on my arm and if I'm standing correctly the sights are nearly on target. If I can't make the shot in about 20 seconds I lower the rifle and start over. 
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:13:01 PM »

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 07:34:05 PM »
I have recieved some instruction from local guys on how to hold the rifle and on breathing. I just did not think to ask about where to place my feet. I'm finding there is a multitude of subtlties as to what leads to better balance. You really do use your entire body when shooting offhand in a standing position.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 11:14:54 PM »
I found back when shooting muzzle loaders that a curved butt plate is more comfortable if you DON"T put it in the hollow of your shoulder.  Move it out just outside the shoulder joint and you can control the recoil better and you can raise or lower the rifle by raising or lowering you upper arm.

I works equally well with any other curved butt rifle, even the really hard recoiling calibers.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 03:01:59 AM »
LP, asking about the best foot positions is a great topic and thank you for bringing it up.  I have an engraved print demonstrating the proper disposition of arms for the  English Civil War (1642-51). When it is compared to the proper shooting stances of the American Revolution, Civil War and right up into modern combat manuals they all have one thing in common. That one thing is to point your left foot downrange (right handed stance) while your right foot stands at a perpendicular angle or close to it depending on the terrain and what you can manage while presenting the most stable shooting platform.  That leading foot also gives you an advantage shifting fire to the left or right oblique if needed.

I recommend an open stance of about 18 inches similar to that of a boxer or fencer as to whichever suits your comfort and stability.  When firing modern automatic weapons, its a good idea to shift your weight a bit forward but with muzzle loaders, I have always found it best to keep my weight centered between both legs to provide a stable, upright platform.  You may do either depending on your comfort level and there is no shame in doing it either way.  In the end, it's all about which is the most comfortable way to hold sights on your mark.

Next is training your muscle memory.  I recommend finding a relatively safe aim point for your unloaded weapon at home, find a small mark to sight in on and practice holding your sights from both a standing and kneeling position for as long as you can.  Eventually, you will develop the muscle memory to maintain your sights for a much greater time than you will need hunting or in an actual shooting exercise.  These muscles in your hands and arms will soon enable you to hold your long gun with a single hand for a considerable amount of time as well.  I don't recommend one-handed shooting as your aim is greatly impaired and you are without proper control over your weapon. However, this kind of arm strength is crucial for maintaining prolonged stability of your aim.

The guys here have already given great advice on the positions of your hands and arms when handling your weapon. I personally like holding my stock close to the trigger guard with my left (leading) hand as my muscle memory locks giving me the most stability.  It may be different for you but go for whatever works for you as long as it falls within the bounds of safe range handling.

I'm going to give it a rest now and give someone else a chance to add on to this but once again, this was a great topic to bring up.

-Dave

Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 10:24:39 AM »
Thanks for all the great info. I learned to write and play guitar the "wrong" way so I wanted to start off rifle the right way. This gives me a good foundation.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com