Author Topic: OK Merwin, Hulbert, what's your [railroad?] story?  (Read 3277 times)

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
OK Merwin, Hulbert, what's your [railroad?] story?
« on: July 22, 2016, 05:50:10 PM »
A couple years ago I picked up this Merwin, Hulbert--a third model Pocket Army with the 3½-inch barrel.  Although it has seen a lot of use, and much of the finish is gone, I thought it had character and decided I could find a use for it.  As we concluded the deal, the seller said, "Oh, you'll probably want this, too," reached under his table, and pulled out a 7-inch barrel.  The longer barrel didn't look like it came from the same gun--it had much better finish--but it didn't cost anything extra and looked like it would fit, so I thanked him kindly and the whole lot rode along home with me.

Fairly recently I got the Merwin out with an eye to shooting it.  As part of the process, I took it apart to check its internals, since the cylinder didn't advance quite all the way when cocking it, and the hammer was pretty hard to cock.  It turned out the hand was pretty worn, which accounted for the cylinder issues (I made a new one--a story for a different day) and the mainspring appeared to be a rather thick replacement (haven't dealt with that yet).  In the process of going over everything, however, I made the pleasant discovery that all of the assembly numbers on this revolver match, right down to the inside of the grip and BOTH BARRELS.  Obviously this gun was used a lot, but mostly with the short barrel installed.

What I found equally intriguing, however, was a worn stamping on the cylinder that I had previously overlooked.  Although the bottom portions of all the letters are worn away,  it appears to read, in all caps, "LI-CIRR."  I suspect the "RR" refers to a railroad, and I have poked around in that vein, but have not come to any firm conclusions.

Of course I could be completely out, and the "RR" might actually be a "PP."  I have some Restor-a Gel, which can reveal worn stampings in metal, that stuff is so doggone corrosive I'm going to hold off on using it.  

So,  if anybody has run across something like this, or has any insights on the significance of the stamping, I would be mighty interested.  

--DJ

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
Re: OK Merwin, Hulbert, what's your story?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 06:17:49 AM »
The stamping might mean LIRR - Central Islip

Long Island - Central Islip Station    Long Island Rail Road

I offer this as conjecture only

in that I am somewhat familiar with a S&W in 38 Long  marked  LIRR-RB   (assumed Rockaway Beach)   in the Holmes Collection
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: OK Merwin, Hulbert, what's your [railroad?] story?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 09:09:33 AM »
Major--

Thanks for the suggestion.  I looked at the possibility of a Long Island Railroad connection, but the best fit I can find for CIRR is Coney Island Railroad.  It looks like the LIRR and CIRR had some business interactions in the late 1800's, but mostly they seemed to be competitors.

What is the era of the LIRR Smith & Wesson you have seen, and how did the stamping appear?  Any photos?

I wonder if there are any good sources on the arms and practices of railroad police.

--DJ

Advertising

Re: OK Merwin, Hulbert, what's your [railroad?] story?
« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:49:26 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com