Author Topic: 1849 Uberti cylinder overotating  (Read 4653 times)

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1849 Uberti cylinder overotating
« on: July 22, 2016, 10:28:00 AM »
Howdy all,

I was looking in my favorite LGs when I cam across an Uberti 1849 Pocket model for a decent price. I've been bitten by the BP bug, so I'm certainly intrigued by this revolver, but I had a question (I should also note that I'm aware that the pocket models tend to have more problems than the average Uberti BP pistol, but it'd make a perfect companion to my 1851 London Model, so I've got to give it a try). I noticed that if I cocked the piece with any kind of authority, the cylinder would over rotate just a bit. Not a problem if I cocked it slowly.

I'm still a bit of a newbie to these guns, so I'm not quite sure what the issue is, it's not one I've experienced with any of my other 'Old West' guns. Is this indicative of a bigger problem? Is this a potentially easy fix?

Thanks for y'all's time, it's greatly appreciated.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Thumb Buster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: 1849 Uberti cylinder overotating
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 03:52:37 PM »
A few of things pop into mind...1) the bolt isn't fitting into the cylinder notches and 2) the hand may be a bit long or both.  (These revolvers almost always need a good and detailed de-burring also.)  3) The cylinder bolt might not be snapping all the way past the hammer cam as the action approaches full-cock.  I have an 1861 that did that but two seconds with a 400 grit emery cloth on a burr I found on the cam took care of that.  Look at the shoulders of the cylinder notches and see if they're showing impact marks from the bolt.  If so then the bolt itself needs a little work. Other folks will have better notions.

Believes it Coffinmaker who always states these Italian reproductions are 'fancy kits' as they need some work done on them.  Lots of  folks here will be happy to give advise.
"Those who pound their guns into plowshears will plow for those who didn't"  --Thomas Jefferson

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 04:32:40 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS!!  You are now the proud owner of a really swell Uberti "KIT"  Some adjustment required.

First things first.  Clean up the Barrel to Arbor fit and insure the Barrel doesn't over run the frame.  I STRONGLY SUGGEST a visit to
"The Open Range" and read through ALL of the Tutorials provided by Pettifogger.  Then:

Fit the bolt to the cylinder notches.  DO NOT PLAY with it until you fit the bolt.  Also insure the bolt rises fully into the cylinder notches.
Polish the frame side of the bolt so it will slide up and down smoothly.  Put a tiny bevel on the back side of the bolt so it will rise smoothly
into the cylinder notches.
Polish the frame side of the Trigger/Bolt Spring.  When you install the Trigger/Bolt spring, insure it does NOT ride on the side of the frame.
I don't know if the standard SlixShot nipples for Uberti will fit the 1849.  Check into it.  If not, check into Treso nipples for an 1849 fit.
Get rid of that gawd awful Main Spring.  VTI, Brownells, Wolff all offer a better alternative.

Have fun with it

Coffinmaker

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:56:46 AM »

Offline Jake C

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 04:58:59 PM »
Thank you both for the replies, it's much appreciated.

I will keep an eye out for the reduced power mainsprings, would a spring that would work for a Navy revolver work for a Pocket model? If so then I've got a spare reduced spring that'll do nicely.

Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 06:04:16 PM »
Thank you both for the replies, it's much appreciated.

I will keep an eye out for the reduced power mainsprings, would a spring that would work for a Navy revolver work for a Pocket model? If so then I've got a spare reduced spring that'll do nicely.

No, the '49 spring is smaller.  Same one on the '48 and '62.

Offline Jake C

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 07:26:13 AM »
No, the '49 spring is smaller.  Same one on the '48 and '62.

Didn't expect so. Oh well.

So a quick update. Picked up my Pocket Model yesterday. It will, as normal, need some work on the arbor, so I'll need to go get some steel washers for that. As for the over-rotating issue, I took the gun home, disassembled and cleaned it, stoned the parts and the inside of the frame, and then oiled it with some ballistol. Reassembled the pistol and cocked the hammer, and it cocked perfectly, no over-rotation or anything like that. So I'm going to keep an eye on it, but I'm going ot tentatively say this was a success.

Thanks for taking the time out to respond to me all earlier, it's much appreciated!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com