Author Topic: RCBS 12Ga Die - All Brass  (Read 11044 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
RCBS 12Ga Die - All Brass
« on: July 21, 2016, 12:50:11 PM »
OK, I broke down.  Got fed up with multiple steps on my drill press to load All Brass 12s, so I bit the bullet and ordered up the RCBS
Die for All Brass 12Ga hulls.  It works a treat ....... except ...... it won't De-Prime.
The DePriming punch assemble just slides up and down in the die body.  Doesn't stop to punch out the spent primer.  I haven't quite
been able to figure out why.  Or figure out a fix.  Only had it a few hours. 
Anybody else have this problem??  A Fix??

Coffinmaker

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: RCBS 12Ga Die - All Brass
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 01:21:40 AM »
Coffinmaker,

Take the deprime shaft all the way out and tighten the knurled portion the hold the deprime pin in.

Old Top

I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 04:47:21 PM »
Old Top >>>>>>> Et ALL!!!  ;D

There is no knurled portion.  That weren't the problem.  Turns out, my De-Prime assembly is/was missing a part.  After taking it apart and
putting it back together about a zillion times, I finally took the only avenue open to me.  I THREW IT AGAINST THE WALL!!!

A.  It didn't stick.

B.  That didn't fix it.

Then I humbled myself and got out the instructions.  The instructions were no help.  I threw the instruction away.  Made me feel better.

Horror of all Horrors >>>>>> I called RCBS.  guy onna fone said there should be a Thingamajig on top of the Framasand and I was missing that crucial part.  RCBS is sending me a whole new De-Kap Dooflopus.  Way KOOL!!  But:

I got to thinking, I may have the appropriate Thingamajig in my useless parts box.  So I took it apart ..... again ..... and stuck a Thingamajig on top of the Framasand between it and the spring thingie.  Put it all back together.  Grabbed a hull, stuck it in there >>>
PING!!  Out came a primer.  Did it again ...... PING!!! Out came a primer.  Works like a charm.  I'm still gonna keep the Brandy Knew
De-Prime goodie.  Just in case.

Having a proper Primer Seater has solved an ongoing miss-fire problem I've been having.  My method of seating with my Drill Press was
not seating the primer fully.  I are a very HAPPY CAMPER now!!

thanks to all who thought about the problem.

Coffinmaker

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:40:56 AM »

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 07:22:19 PM »
Coffinmaker
Good to here your experance with this Die as I am trying to optain one for my brass case. No replies from two dealers yet on availability.
My concerns were primer seating and also putting a slight tapper on the end of tne case to make feeding easer.
Hows the wall no holes which now need repairing. I down loadec the instructions from RCBS web site listed with the die, dont need them have lots in a draw.
 ;D
Buffalochip

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 07:54:53 PM »
Mike,

When I dove head first into the Dark Side, One thing I wanted was to be independent of "help" with 12Ga BP shotgun shells.  I don't
really reload for shotgun.  No shotgun press.  Was having to mooch and trade for BP shotgun fodder.  No More

Learned all the trix for loading All Brass Hulls and was happy as a clam in sand.  Then got the dreaded "hole in the pattern" which I have solved, and have had an ongoing miss-fire problem because my method of primer seating didn't always fully seat the primer.  So I picked up an inexpensive Lee Classic press and the RCBS die.  The Lee Classic primes.  Yo baby primes.  One of my Hammer doubles has VERY
light main springs and just would not digest my Brass ammo.  Now, with proper priming, it gobbles em up.

The RCBS Die does have a roll crimp feature.  Careful adjustment needed.  I don't roll the mouth of the hull.  To me, just makes re-loading
the hulls difficult.  It isn't all that slow loading the gun anyhow.  Besides, one doesn't shoot Cap Gun Snubbies, Henry Rifles and Hammer
Doubles just to get all excited about speed.  It's about FUN. 

I don't know what the exchange rate, import duty, taxes and the phase of the moon does to your price, but I think the RCBS Die is
sorta the money if your going to shoot lots of All Brass Hulls.  If a real problem, I could send you one??

Coffinmaker

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 01:45:32 AM »
Picked up a Shell holder here so can now prime the cases, next step is fibre wads dont want to use plastic, just me.
Picked up a Lee hand loader as well so have all the loading tools.

look forward to making smoke soon.
Thanks. ;D
Buffalochip

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 05:45:34 AM »
Picked up a Shell holder here so can now prime the cases, next step is fibre wads dont want to use plastic, just me.
Picked up a Lee hand loader as well so have all the loading tools.

look forward to making smoke soon.
Thanks. ;D

Maybe you alredy know but you'll need 11 gauge fiber wads in brass hulls. 

Check your patterns.  Some fiber wad loads blow holes in pattern and some don't.   I suspect less powder and/or more shot may be better than more powder and less shot.  Also, choke or no choke. 

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 01:20:19 PM »
Thanks.
No choke, barrels choped, still need to work the load.
Buffalochip

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 04:24:09 PM »
I have 50 Magtec brass cases for my 12 gauge shotguns.  They indeed use 11 gauge wads, but a 10 gauge over shot wad.  I seal my overshot wad with Water Glass.  My reloading equipment consists of a 3/4" brass bar I turned down to slip inside the shell, with a dimple to accommodate the balloon head for the primer.  I just seat the primer on the anvil of my bench vise with the brass rod and a nylon hammer.  The rest is easy peasy.

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 06:07:10 AM »
I have 50 Magtec brass cases for my 12 gauge shotguns.  They indeed use 11 gauge wads, but a 10 gauge over shot wad.  I seal my overshot wad with Water Glass.  My reloading equipment consists of a 3/4" brass bar I turned down to slip inside the shell, with a dimple to accommodate the balloon head for the primer.  I just seat the primer on the anvil of my bench vise with the brass rod and a nylon hammer.  The rest is easy peasy.

If you're getting 100% successful firing,  you're fine using that method of priming.   But if the primer pocket is a few thousands deeper than the primer height the primer is not seated to the bottom.   If your gun has light hammer fall, it may not set off the primer.  I had this problem and I think others did also.  With the RCBS primer seater, it will push primer deeper than flush if it has to so to get primer all the way to bottom.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 08:48:28 PM »
I had the perfect "freebee" for priming my Brass 12s.  My Drill Press was free and perfect.  Except ....... didn't work all the time.  Lots of
failure to fire.  Every Hammer Gun I have except my Antique J P Sauer.  That suckers springs would set of artillery.  Found seating the primers flush with the bottom of the hull wasn't getting it done.  As soon as I went to a press with primer seating, problem of miss-fire went away.

Coffinmaker

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 08:10:27 PM »
OK like I don't have enough to do you guys are going to make me dig out my set of RCBS dies and a box of Winchester brass cases to see what all the discussion is about. For wads I 'spect it will be wasp nests because all the 12 gauge wads I have are for plastic (ew) or paper cases.
More to follow
Bunk

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 09:16:21 PM »
Hey Bunk.
Tell ya what.  Knowing how up to your armpits ya are with projects, I'll save you some time and hassle.  Just package up those pesky WW Brass Hulls and send em on to me.  I just give em a good workout with my brandy new loading equipment and give ya a report back.  I don't think it should take more than ... oh ... say ... a dozen loadings to give you a real good evaluation. 

Wouldn't do that for just anyone ya know.  Special.  Yup.  ;D

Coffinmaker

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2016, 09:26:31 AM »
Hi Coffinmaker
These are some old GI once fired buckshot loads from WW2. There are only about 8 or so of them and I keep them as a curiosity.
I stopped trying to use them after I split a couple from case mouth to about ¼” from the rim which scared me. I am not sure what primer was used either a FA#70 or a mercuric primer which makes the brass so brittle or they are, like me, just brittle from old age.
To tell the truth I am too frugal to buy those buck a piece Magtech cases and have some slue footed RO step on one.
But thanks for the offer any way I can always depend on friends like you to step up when I need help.
Yr’ Obt’ Svt’
Bunk

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 04:56:22 PM »
Piece of Cake Bunk.  Always willing to jump in there and help a friend in need.  Today, however, I did give a jingle to Buffalo Arms and order up 3 boxes of brandy new Mag Tech 12Ga hulls.  I'm set.  I've actually completely switched from Plastique to All Brass.  All FUN!!

Coffinmaker

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 07:10:05 PM »
I been tryin to figure how to put a roll crimp on a brass shotgun shell. Then the light came on today. Took a socket out of my tool box that has a tapered part inside put the socket over the shell put it in the press gave er a little bump. WooHoo nice roll crimp. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2016, 11:42:45 AM »
Wildman, if you roll crimp it, it wont open back up when you fire it. It will sort of be permanently roll crimped, at least that was my experience. Do yours open up?   

I just use waterglass (bought as wood stove gasket cement at the local hardware store).

Rick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com