Author Topic: New Coach Gun  (Read 9987 times)

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
New Coach Gun
« on: November 02, 2015, 09:39:29 AM »
Just picked up a slightly used EAA bounty hunter 12ga coach gun in real nice shape.

I've been using a Stoeger "hammerless" Coach Gun for the past nine years. Now I'll have to learn how to work the hammers efficiently.

(posted better pictures)

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: New Coach Gun
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 10:34:49 AM »
those are VERY robust guns , made in the same Tula Arms Manufacturing the makes AKs
for short time they were imported by and under the Remington name
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 03:30:34 PM »
I can operate my BH III okay- and i am a idiot. Should be a breeze for anyone else.
Mathew 5.9

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:45:51 AM »

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 08:51:44 AM »
Here is a video that shows one way how it can be done real fast and a few other methods can be found with a bit of searching.  One problem with this method is that it will only work well IF you have some springs lightened a whole bunch and have stand up hammers.  My China gun will eat you alive if you try any such foolishness with it.  Sadly the gun he is using disappeared from the market right after the video was shot.  Some indicate that Cimarron Firearms carries a hammer double that has a slick action but the cost is pretty close to $2,000!!!  Made by Pedersolli I think and it might be carried by others but I am not sure?

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 08:56:05 AM »
To add to his speed, the gentleman doing the demonstration in the video, shoots from the hip!
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 11:21:31 AM »
There are times I could just ......... SCREAM!!  THE best hammer double ever, for the CAS loons is/was the Pioneer.  Made in Poland, built
like a tank, forever coil springs, incredible machine work, quality wood.  18 1/4 inch barrels.  Just PERFECT.  Then the factory got a
government contract for Military Weapons.  Oh Well.

Once set up ....... the TTN/Cimarron can be just as fast and just a reliable.  First step (Read This Bob!!!) is to Grind/File/Sand the little
decorative meat slicer thingies OFF the hammers.  Or, invest in lots of Band-Aids and bandages.  Change out the lever spring with a Slixspring, LEAVE THE MAINSPRINGS ALONE!!

The "Wyatt Earp" by Pedersoli is super well made.  Precision personified.  Beautiful gun!!  I have one.  Little work on the Mainsprings and
it runs like a Goosed Gorilla.  Some expensive.  Worth it!!

Best value for dollar in a Hammer Double is the TTN/Cimarron.  Next is the Baikal, when you can find one.  CZ makes a real nice gun.
the Pedersoli is superb but some pricy.

Coffinmaker

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 10:59:21 PM »
Many thanks for the replies. Mine is a Baikal. I will get to shoot it this weekend at our final match of the season.

When I starting shooting CAS I only bought a Shotgun because it was required. Now the Shotgun has become one of my favorite firearms to shoot. As I mentioned in anther post, our SASS Club has been shooting an "All Shotgun stage" for several years now. The Shooters seem to like the change of pace and it has been well received.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 01:51:09 PM »
Our club was recently informed that we need to stop firing the shotguns at any fliers that rise above the top of the berms.  It seems that property owners will be able to sue clubs for contaminating their land with lead when the shot escapes our property.  Being in very flat country with relatively low berms the only direction one could prevent the shop from escaping would be to direct all shot down the long range rifle line.  Keep an eye on this situation as it could bankrupt a club to get sewed over this silliness in these PC times.

I looked up the Pedersoli shotgun and see that Cabellas is one of the importers.  The good news is that they are going to build here and that would save a little, by buying one locally.  The bad news is that the grand opening is scheduled for the FALL of 2016!

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 02:26:20 PM »
The best source for the Pedersoli (Where I got MINE) is ............ TA DA .............. Dixie gun works.  Currently on sale.  Even on sale, the
durn things are still EXPENSIVE  :o   But ...... well worth the money   ::)

Coffinmaker

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 03:17:19 PM »
The best source for the Pedersoli (Where I got MINE) is ............ TA DA .............. Dixie gun works.  Currently on sale.  Even on sale, the
durn things are still EXPENSIVE  :o   But ...... well worth the money   ::)

Coffinmaker

Cough, choke, sputter....I'll stick with my "hardware store" shotgun for now.  I picked it up at a local gunshow for $300.  It needed some work done on it as the triggers didn't always seem to work right.  I figured it for a project, and if not successful, I'd make a wall hanger out of it.  I was able to get it to function reliably, and learned a few things along the way.  I've used it only in one match, and it functioned well.  I do have the very careful about the rear trigger...it doesn't take much to trip it.  I can shoot classic cowboy now.  I figure a TTN may be in my future next year.   
Good Troy
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 12:24:06 PM »
Good Troy,
As I may have mentioned earlier or on other threads, after working on CAS guns for near 20 years, the best "value for Dollar" in a Hammer Double is the TTN/Cimarron.  While true they are made in China, and the innards are a little rough, the guns are hell for stout and heavy enough to soak up a lot of recoil.  Good choice.

Coffinmaker

Offline Flatbush

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 09:49:39 PM »
Hey Johnny, nice looking shotgun!

If the hammers are close together, and the springs are light enough, you may be able to cock both hammers at the same time. My Chinese Cimarron is like that.

My other shotgun I like to shoot is a Swedish Husqvarna. I have to cock it's hammers one at a time because they are farther apart and have stiffer springs, but I've worked out a method to shoot it pretty quick too. (Not world record quick, but quick enough for me.  ;D)

Offline smokin6

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 06:45:56 PM »
 ;D got two stoegers  & they both just go boom at the pull of each trigger.

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 11:14:52 AM »
My Stoeger works fine for me.  But I do like the expsoed hammered gun.  I've used my cheapo project in about 4 matches now.  It still needs some work.  I have to shuck the shells out sometimes, so the cylinders need to be polished.  And, I need to work down the hammer springs from the Dodge 1-ton truck weight to something closer to a Volkswagen.  One nice thing about it is that it has 30" barrels, so I don't have reload should I need to make up a miss....I just reach out and tap the target with the end of the barrels.. ;D
Good Troy
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Online Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 09:18:54 PM »
I finally bought a double.  I hit a milestone age and had always wanted to holler, "I got another barrel left" with that Jack Elam tone. (Yes I know Rio Lobo is not the best Wayne film, but it makes me comfortable).  Anyway I bought a Cimarron 1878 coach gun from cheaperthandirt, well because it was cheaper than dirt.  First box of shells through it on the first day started having a problem with the right hammer.  Got it home and digging around, found a crack in the sear spring.  That quickly became a break.  A call to Cimarron and a new spring was in the mail.   Easy fix and honestly this is a great gun.  Breaks open quick and easy and the shells come out easily too.   I can cock both hammers with one thumb and it points well.   Now if they just sold longer barrels separately it would be a dream.   Definitely a keeper and I feel more Elam quotes on the horizon.   ;D

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2016, 11:21:03 AM »
Mo Go Rilla  :D

If the cute little meat slicers on the top of the hammers weren't removed by the previous owner ......... Make that your FRIST priority.
DO NOT get tempted to fool with the Main Springs.  The Slix lever spring is a good thing.

Coffinmaker

Online Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2016, 01:05:35 PM »
Hey Coffinmaker,
I have read about those, mine was NIB, but the "horns" on the hammer do not feel particularly sharp.  At least not yet.   I tend to avoid messing with springs, unless I absolutely have to.   I do not mind a strong pull, and I definitely do not like hair triggers, or light pulls.  Accidents can happen.   Gun is very smooth and enjoy it greatly.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com