Author Topic: RCBS 12Ga Die - All Brass  (Read 11739 times)

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: RCBS 12Ga Die - All Brass
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2016, 10:23:17 AM »

The Remington SP-10 is on left. The  BPI PT-1044 on the left.  The Remington SP-10 may be easier to find. 
Not in that picture.  :P ::)
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2016, 05:16:34 PM »
I'm dyslexic - but only half the time.   ::)

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2016, 10:03:09 PM »
Coffinmaker,

Yep, that's exactly how BOTH of the decapping rods I got from RCBS were.  I'll try your fix, hopefully will make life easier. 

For now, I just took the decapping rod out of the die and set the case over a piece of 1x6 with a hole drilled in it and whack it with a rubber mallet to deprime. It actually works pretty well.

Don't you think some semi-bright engineer at RCBS might have tried actually using the die they designed to see if it worked properly?!  I guess that's a little too much to expect these days, though..............
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:51:32 AM »

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2016, 06:43:30 AM »
I found a broom handle that would fit in the shell, drilled a hole in the end and mounted a broken de-capping pin.  Done.

Online Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2016, 11:08:15 AM »
Well, I will not publicly admit this.  I will categorically deny any inference that I resorted to .......... a hammer.  Butt.  When I got really
annoyed with the D-Kapper, I simply ran the hull up into the die and hit the D-Kapper on it's tiny little head with a small plastic head
mallet (Brownells) and punched the primer out then re-primed.  Worked quite well.  However.  It is my contention, when I part with
my folding green money ........ or apply my plastic, the product should perform "as advertised."  I really shouldn't have to whack the
D-Kapper with my little mallet.  Annoying.  So ....... I fix'd the dumb thing.

I whole heartedly agree.  These stupid engineers should have to try and use the product they design, for it's intended purpose, BEFORE
they foster it on an unsuspecting public.  Of course, that takes the "fun" out of figuring how to make the silly thing actually work  ::)

Coffinmaker

PS:  My previous annoyance was using an appropriate sized "punch" in my Drill Press to D-Kap.  That worked quite well too.

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2016, 11:20:57 AM »
When I first got the brasser's , I used a 1/16" pin punch to de-cap my shells. I have a hole in my bench from a previous mounting fixture.
I just placed the case over the hole, and gave it a wack with the plastic mallet. It worked till I got it all figured out.

Online Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2016, 04:50:29 PM »
A lot like playin "Whack-a-Mole.  Smaller mallet.  1/16 pin punch inna Drill Press works too.  Just too durn SLOW.

Coffinmaker

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2016, 06:02:57 PM »
Yep, SloooooooooooooooW. I use my MEC 600 Jr with the Brass de- capping adaptor they make that replaces the standard 209 de-capper stem. Very quick, and does a good job.

Online Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2016, 07:37:53 PM »
I've finally gotten to the place where I can re-load em almost as fast as I shoot em up!!!  Yeeehaaaaaa!

Coffinmaker

Online Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2016, 07:34:45 PM »
An Odyssey.  Or is it a continuing Saga.  A tail for the ages??  A pursuit!!   Well .... anyway, way back when I first started this silly quest.  Yep, that's it.  A quest.  Anyhow, it would seem my Marvelous RCBS Die for All Brass 12Ga has/had a fatal faux Pas.  Set up ass delivered it would D-Prime one, that's just 1, Uno, Eine, hull.  In the process of depriving that single hull, it deformed it's principal E clip and then just flop around like loose firehose.  Useless.  So I finally broke down and actually called RCBS admitting defeat.  RCBS said I was missing a part and they would send me a fixit.  That, ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages, was over a month ago.  No joy.  Nada.  Nix. Nine. nuttin.  not even a peep and ........... no fix.  Until ......... TA DA ....... today.  Today good day.  New Gunz arrived, new
fine files arrived, and out of no-where, here comes the RCBS FIX.  SORT OF.  RCBS sent me EXACTLY the same D-Kapper that came with
the Die Set.  EXACTLY the same.  Only difference, they threw a couple of E clips and a couple of xtra d-kapping pins inna bag.  Same flaw,
same E clips ....... nada fix.  Just an extra D-Kapper set.  So, I now have a spare.  Go to Lowes, get a couple of swell nylon washers and
fix the new one before it kraps out (first hull).  They Tried.

Glad I fix'd it myself.

Coffinmaker

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2016, 12:21:18 AM »
My 1/16" punch has never failed me. Try it you might like it. ;D ;)

Online Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2016, 02:59:25 PM »
Lefty,
Absolutely completely uncontrovertibly without a doubt ....... Dead Reliable.  Atz what I waz using.  Never failed.  Alas, it was/is ....... also ..... DEAD SLOW.  Took all freeking day to do a run of hulls.  That's part of the reason I went to the RCBS die.  That and to get reliable primer seating.  However, with my 59 Cent solution, the D-Kapper is now perfectly reliable.  Works a treat.

Coffinmaker

PS:  Same fix onna new D-Kapper too.  Now I have a spare should I ever need one (not hardly likely).

PSS:  OOPS.  For 59 cents you get a package of 4 nylon washers.  You have to buy the whole package.  That is actually enough to fix 4 RCBS D-Cappers which reduces the actual cost to about 15 cents.  That's a 15 cent solution  to quote someone famous  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com