Author Topic: A Copy of a M1851 "Gunsmith Conversion" found in Bruce McDowell's Book  (Read 7537 times)

Offline Elisharoot

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi Everyone, I'm a long time browser and first time poster. I'm a full time gunsmith who has had a love affair with Colt open top revolvers for as long as I can remember. I've been building and restoring Percussion models for years, but after getting my hands on Bruce McDowell's excellent book, A STUDY OF COLT CONVERSIONS and taking a look at the "Private Conversions" section, I decided to try my hand at converting one myself using the same methods employed by the gunsmiths who converted them some 140 years ago.

I copied my gun after a specific conversion pictured in McDowell's book (pictured below). I used an Italian-made M1851 Navy as a base and copied the original as closely as possible with one exception: mine is chambered in .38 special while the original is .38 rimfire. This brought about some unique challenges (namely the need to install a recoil plate against the recoil shield to keep the primers from bulging and jamming the action) but it shoots like a dream now.

In addition to converting the revolver, I also did some standard "defarbing" work to it like removing the Italian markings, re-shaping the hammer spur and grip profile and thinning out the base of the trigger guard. I finished it by lightly antiquing it to give it the look of a pistol that's spent years in the saddle. I also made up a holster rig for it using a surplus Civil War era infantry waist belt, a cut down Civil War era flap holster and a Civil War era cap pouch which now carries spare cartridges.

I've never seen this style of conversion replicated before. It was a fun project; my only regret is that I didn't take any pictures of it along the way. Most people I show it to don't have a clue about what it is, but I figured if anybody would appreciate it, it would be y'all.

Thanks for your time

Offline Elisharoot

• Citizen
  • Liked:
More pictures....

Offline Elisharoot

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Last set:

Advertising

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
Wow!  Which is to say, WOW!  Very nice.  Thanks for allowing us to admire your work!

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Good job Elisharoot. While I'm no 'expert' on Colt's cap and balls/conversions, I'd say you hit a grand slam home run with your work. From reading McDowel's book and viewing other publications, I'd say you've come as close as possible. Wondering, does the long firing pin on the hammer stay stable without bending? Can't say if I know or not if the originals had that type or not or you had to make it that way to make the gun functional. Looks nice, leather rig to.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
Very cool!  How does she shoot?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
VERY VERY NICE!!

Coffinmaker

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
Explain the cylinder work, please.

Offline Elisharoot

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Good job Elisharoot. While I'm no 'expert' on Colt's cap and balls/conversions, I'd say you hit a grand slam home run with your work. From reading McDowel's book and viewing other publications, I'd say you've come as close as possible. Wondering, does the long firing pin on the hammer stay stable without bending? Can't say if I know or not if the originals had that type or not or you had to make it that way to make the gun functional. Looks nice, leather rig to.

Thank you! The firing pin is hardened so there's no issues with it bending. Plus the recoil plate acts as sort of a "guide" to center it in the same way. There were other period conversion that were center fire with hammer-mounted firing pins, it just so happened that the one I chose to copy wasn't!

Offline Elisharoot

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Very cool!  How does she shoot?

It shoots great! it requires heeled bullets though so it can be a pain make cartridges for though, haha.

Offline Elisharoot

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Explain the cylinder work, please.

My Pleasure! First, the rear portion of the cylinder is turned down. Then a new plate was bored out to to fit over the ratchet portion of the cylinder and soldered into place. Then, the cylinder was bored through using a .372 drill bit. Each chamber was then finished reamed to .381 to accomodate a .38 special cartridge. Finally, the ratchet portion of the cylinder was relieved to allow the rim of the cartridge to clear it. Finally, the original hand was replaced with a wider version in order to allow the thinner ratchets to time correctly.

-Hopefully that was somewhat understandable.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
A+ superlative work with Oak leaf clusters  :D 

I like it alot, a whole LOT  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
Very nice work, Elisharoot.
I know conversions will eventually make one to become a conversion addict ... so what are the next conversion projects on you agenda?
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

45 Dragoon

Yap, gotta agree, it looks awesome!!!
I sorta have a thing for conversions too!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline Elisharoot

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Very nice work, Elisharoot.
I know conversions will eventually make one to become a conversion addict ... so what are the next conversion projects on you agenda?
Long Johns Wolf

Thanks Long Johns Wolf! Reading your write up on the 1860 "Long Cylinder" Conversion on your website was actually one of the things that inspired me to start reading up on conversions with the intent to build one at some point. You're certainly right, conversions are an addiction and I think I've caught the bug. I built a first model Confederate Dance Bros Navy Revolver a few years ago and recently found an original converted Dance in an auction catalogue....that may be my next conversion.

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
Wow, Elisharoot, what a project.
What type of conversion was used on the original Dance?
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Elisharoot

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Wow, Elisharoot, what a project.
What type of conversion was used on the original Dance?
Long Johns Wolf

It's the same style conversion as this one, with the bored-through cylinder. The thing I most interested in discovering is if the cartridges will stay in the cylinder as the Dance obviously doesn't have a recoil shield. I'm thinking the receiver is just wide enough to keep everything in place but it will be fun to find out for sure.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Some years back, a fella commissioned a couple of "long Cylinder" conversions from me, copying what was done in the way back,
without a gated recoil shield.  Just a narrow cartridge trough.  The cartridges seemed to stay in just fine.  The customer was quite
happy with the guns.

Coffinmaker

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
Talented work!!  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com